5.0 out of 5 stars This book captivated my 2 year old daughter., 22 Mar 2002
This book contains four short stories about a toddler named Alfie, and his baby sister, Annie Rose. My two year old daughter has begged me to read and reread this book to her numerous times, that is has practically fallen apart. The tape that comes with it keeps her interest, and has helped her in going to sleep. She has even started to use sayings from the Alfie book in real life, like before bedtime, she will tell me to "keep the door a little bit open," which is a direct quote from the Alfie book, which I hadn't realized initially. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book for child as well as adult!, 16 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Hardcover)
This is not just a lovely book for a child of 4-6, but also an amusing book for us adults. There is lot to talk about and the drawings are just wonderfull.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyday yet dramatic; a good read for parent and child, 9 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Hardcover)
Do you remember what it was like to be trapped somewhere when your mother couldn't reach you? Do you remember how it felt to think you were playing a clever trick on your parents only to realise that you had done something terribly wrong? Do you remember the barely controlled panic and anger in your mother's voice as she tried to extricate you from a dangerous situation? All of this and more will be evoked for you when you read this to your children. Your kids will love the drama and that Alfie comes out laughing as always. I love Shirley Hughes's writing almost as much as my daughters' love her illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
We bought the book for a little boy and girl who live on a farm nearby. They love reading it and having it read to them. The story is simple and touching and so kind. My husband said that the story reminds him of himself when he was a small boy. Great book for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Shirley Hughes books., 15 April 2014
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
What's not to like? The story takes ages to read because so much time is spent looking at the drawings. A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
My 7 year old grandson George is a hugh fan of the Alfie series and thought it very amusing that Alfie was brave and managed to open the door himself at the end. A useful lesson to be learnt don't shut the door before mum gets in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful Shirley Hughes book, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
Another great, fun, true to life tale from the wonderful Shirley Hughes.
Alfie gets locked in his house with Mum and Annie Rose left out on the street. The story follows Alfie from indoors and the people trying to help him out on the street.
In the end Alfie doesn't need their help and proudly opens the door by himself.
A lovely book and one that children will enjoy again and again.
As always the pictures are spot on.
Shirley Hughes can do no wrong in my eyes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Alfie, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
I had this book read to me when I was a child and loved it, that's why I choose it for my 3 year old. She loved it at I think I loved it even more now I'm a adult . I recommend this book for adults and children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big fans of Alfie in our house, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
This book was bought as a present for a boy named Alfie, we bought this book as it is my daughter's favourite Alfie story and she felt that her friend Alfie would like an Alfie book for his birthday and as this one is her favourite it should be his!!!
In this story Alfie runs ahead of his mother and baby sister enjoying being first home, he enters the house while his mother goes back to bring his sister in then Alfie closes the front door. The story is then all about Alfie's friends; neighbours, milkman and window cleaner all helping his mother join Alfie in the house. This book needs to be read by both the words and pictures as the pictures show you what Alfie is doing while the writing is telling the other side of the story. This means that your child can predict what is going to happen next, from the picture clues. We would recommend Alfie stories to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life imitates art..., 9 Mar 2012
S. Corbett (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
I'm not overly worried about a copy cat incident, as my three year old enacted this last night when we got home. So another reviewer's observations about Mum's trying to keep the panic out their voices as they coach a toddler out of a sticky situation that he/she can get themeselves out of ring very true for me this morning. We had read this in the library but not borrowed it. I should have paid more attention to how Alfie's Mum gets back in the house though. We figured it out in the end, before Dad finished the 30 mile journey back from work to open the door. Obviously I have to buy it now!

Alfie Gets In First (Red Fox picture books)
Alfie Gets In First (Red Fox picture books) by Shirley Hughes (Paperback - 5 Aug 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01