5.0 out of 5 stars a moving story for children and grown-ups
This story gets me weeping inside just thinking about it. Whenever I read it to my two little girls I choke up.
Published on 13 Aug. 2002 by J. W. Collett

2.0 out of 5 stars The Green Ship
I like Quentin Blake & having seen the reviews for this book decided to buy it. The illustrations are great but the story content is not really for young children who like lashings of humour or a good exciting story. This was neither thrilling nor funny. I would describe it as a book that a maiden aunt might purchase for a child, an improving book preferred by adults to...
Published on 13 July 2010 by Pat45

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a moving story for children and grown-ups, 13 Aug. 2002
This review is from: The Green Ship (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
This simple tale is about childhood adventure but also about growing up and having to leave behind a part of our childhood. Perhaps the story touches the piece of us that remembers that sense of loss. It's victorious also, as it deals with the resolution of loss in adulthood.
This is a children's book but I think Wise Mr Blake wrote it as much for the grown-ups.
Buy the book for your children. Keep it for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 11 Jun. 2003
This review is from: The Green Ship (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book. I am 33 years old and stumbled across it in my local library. I knew Mr Blakes work through Mr Dahl.
This is such a moving book and little boy is enthralled by its reading.
I am afraid that the scene where Mrs Tredegar (that was her name) ties the ship up makes me cry.
In an age where inane drivel such a "Big Brother" passes for popular culture, I am so pleased that it is possible for innocence and intellect to prevail in this delightful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joy to read, 21 April 2002
This review is from: The Green Ship (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
This enchanting story has become a favourite with my 4 year old although it would be good for children a little older as well. As always, Quentin Blake's illustrations are magnificent and the story itself is a delightful tale that will challenge and stimulate young minds ith its tale of imaginary voyages in an imaginary ship in the garden of a friendly old lady. The picture of the thunderstorm is almost worth the price of the book alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class book reviews, 6 July 2008
By Bethanny:
What the story is about
The story is about a little girl called Alice and her brother. They go exploring but what do they find...

My review
I really enjoyed the book because it is about a little girl and a boy and they go exploring. It is a fantastic, brilliant, amazing book you will love to read. Get reading.
I give this book nine marks out of ten.

By Shelby:
I like it because it's a magnificent book. Every one will want to read the book because it's a nice book.
If you read one page you will want to read the whole book.
I give this book 10 out of 10

By Dean:
I liked the part when they were looking
In the green ship.
It would be suitable for 5 to 8 year olds.

A character from the book
Alice loved adventure Alice is a little girl with brown hair and hair and brown eyes she has a little brother he is a marvellous character.

By Jazz:
I think this book is good because the illustrations are excellent.
This book is so good I could not put it down.
I give this book 8 out of 10.

By Michael:
I like the part when they found. A
Green ship. It would be suitable for
5/8 year olds. A character from
the book Alice was funny in the book. Alice is a little girl and she has a big brother. Alice is excellent character she exciting I gives this book 10 out of 10.

By Patrick:
I liked this book becase
It is suitable for cildren
This book will make you happy .

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely and complex book, 20 Mar. 2000
Fred E. Maus (Charlottesville VA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book in London a year ago for my three-year-old. We both continue to love it. The pictures are attractive. The story is fun but with an undertow of seriousness and sadness, very deftly evoked: the old woman who befriends the children is a widow, whose love for her dead husband is evident, and she is aging herself. It's a rare combination of fun and realism.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to treasure, 2 Dec. 2007
PJ Preston "ppreston21" (Hythe, Hants, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Green Ship (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
When you've shared this book once, you will want to have it to keep. The dfes recommends it for Year 4; but my Year 1 child loved the text and the illustrations. She thought "the ending means that the children have grown up to be the sort of grown ups who still like adventures". A book to treasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 1 Feb. 2007
What a super book! A wonderfully old fashioned, plaintive tale about children discovering a "green ship" made from trees in a clearing in a wood. It's so sad at the end when Quentin Blake's evocative pictures show the ship all grown over heralding the end of the adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special book, 31 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Green Ship (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
This is one of those rare books - one that adults and children can enjoy together and all gain a lot from reading. It starts as an exciting adventure, as the two children discover a secret garden next door. It develops into a charming friendship, as they get to know the old lady and her 'bosun', and share the joy of making up their own play world aboard the Green 'Ship'. Then it hits you with a deeply moving ending. It does not patronise, but deals with grief and loss in a very sensitive but realistic way. The old lady has lost her husband, probably at sea. By playing with the children and making up nautical adventures with them, she is drawn out of her grief without running away from it. At the end they weather a real storm together, after which the lady has clearly begun to accept her loss.
Having shared the book with my now 4 and 6 year olds for several years now, I still get a lump in my throat when I read the old lady's words 'she pulled through, she pulled through'.
Of course, the illustrations are a feast to the eyes and as much a part of the story as the words.
Truly remarkable. Every home should have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars best picture book ever, 20 July 2009
Matthew Bakewell "MattyB" (Moray) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Green Ship (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I read this book every now and again to my three young children and as much as they enjoy it, it never fails to make me cry - and my three youngsters can never understand why! It is a work of genius, told through the 'subtext' of the pictures. As other reviewers have noted, two stories are running concurrently, but both brilliantly linked by the theme of childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures on the Green Ship, 16 Sept. 2010
A Kid's Review
The book is an exciting and adventurous story. It takes place in the garden of the big house where the children discover a green ship and meet a kind lady and gentleman. We liked the story because the characters used their imaginations and at the end it would be possible to make a sequel about the ship maybe going up to space. It was disappointing that after the storm the story seemed to finish quickly we would have liked more adventures on the ship. The story was exciting because it was full of surprises.

(Kate and Jacob, aged 7)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Green Ship (Red Fox Picture Books)
The Green Ship (Red Fox Picture Books) by Quentin Blake (Paperback - 4 May 2000)