5.0 out of 5 stars First class book
Published on 24 Aug 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Good negotiation tactics, but little structure
The Author is clearly a very experienced negotiator and highlights many effective negotiating tactics in the book. However if you are looking for a book to show you how to plan for a negotiation this is unlikely to be your primary text.
The author's heavy and persistent emphasis on trying to categorise negotiators according to farm animal types somewhat detracts from...
Published on 13 Dec 2003 by Mr C Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars First class book, 24 Aug 2003
This review is from: Everything is Negotiable (Paperback)
The book manages to get key points across about negotiating in both an interesting and insightful way. And it has changed my life! I cannot understand how the reviewer who offered only one star could have been reading the same book. It has transformed my ability to strike deals, both professionally and personally!Having previously run a company my greatest disappointment is to have read this book after leaving the company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a Non-Business Guy, 16 Oct 2007
This review is from: Everything is Negotiable (Paperback)
"Everything is Negotiable" by Gavin Kennedy falls under the category of non-IT books that I occasionally pick up (and do not regret). The guy runs a company in UK which helps break deals and negotiate for you, apart from training your people to do better at deals.

The books starts off with a simple question:

1. Faced with a difficult opponent, it is better to concede something of little value in order to create goodwill. True or False?

Many people will tend to concede. That something is of little value to you, right? and the opponent is somebody overly demanding as well! Gavin Kennedy tends to disagree and he has sound reasons for that:

1. Goodwill is a myth! Business is about offering what you have in exchange for what you want. Why is the other person bargaining for that something of little value?

2. You are encouraging the behavior of your difficult opponent by conceding in the first deal. He/ she will become more and more unrealistic in future. On the other hand, you will have little ground to behave differently.

This remarkable opening is followed by around 24 chapters, which include various negotiating scenarios (not all of them provide insight, though). Reading the negative reviews, I agree that the size of the book (around 350 pages) could be reduced to at least 3 quarters without any loss of content. But the book has been quite informative for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has saved/made me £££Thousands, 14 Mar 2008
This review is from: Everything is Negotiable (Paperback)
I first bought an earlier verion of this book when I was 21. I am now 40. I highly recommend it to any novice negotiator or if trying to get a deal makes you uncomfortable.

I work in property and have been negotiating almost every working day. This book has helped my career. Next Monday I am going to try & negotiate to buy a house for my family. I decided to re-read the book again to ensure my skills are fresh. I am not sure as a working class boy from a scheme, I'd have ever got myself in a position to buy a house valued at more than £0.5m, without applying the lessons I learned from the book.

It is a basic book and it is not perfect. The third version which I have is a bit flabby & the use of the (now) four types of negotiator is less useful than early verions.

Nevertheless - buy it unless you are already very competent at getting a good deal. I bet your investment in time & the cash value of the book will pay for itself a hundred times over. I know it has for me more than a thousand times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decide what you want--get what you need, 10 July 2007
Wynkyn de Worde (Rickmansworth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything is Negotiable (Paperback)
Everything is negotiable! ISBN 0 09 924382 2 Gavin Kennedy, 3rd Edition, 1997, Random House, London.

Kennedy reminds readers that most people were extraordinary gifted negotiators when they were children. However, in process of becoming adults many seem to leave these skills behind. Kennedy believes that everyone can revive these skills first by reminding themselves what the skills are and then practising them.
The content of the book is based on the materials that he developed and has used in his training seminars.
The book commences with a simple but effective `true' or `false' self assessment: `Faced with a difficult opponent, it is better to concede something of little value in order to create goodwill'. The test is intended to provide the reader with a litmus test of his or her negotiation awareness. The author then deconstructs the statement and explains what in his opinion is the right answer. Kennedy states that in his experience of running courses over a number of years that only 1 in 20 participants give the `right' answer to the question.
Each of the 26 chapters deal with a negotiation behaviour or situation that the reader is likely to encounter in practice. The chapters begin with either a self-assessment test based on the material that follows or a negotiation scenario that allows readers to test their knowledge in greater depth.
Readers are encouraged to track their performance and are helped to identify areas where they may wish to adopt more different behaviours. To this end the book contains charts that readers may use to track progress.
This is a very practical book and the lessons learnt can be applied with immediate good effect. `Everything is negotiable!' is rich in entertaining anecdote, teaching tales, and is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you a Fox, Sheep, Owl or Donkey?, 29 Aug 2010
In negotiating (and even in living your life) are you a Fox, Sheep, Owl or Donkey? The self-test section is particularly enlightening."

5.0 out of 5 stars The best beginner's guide to negotiating!, 6 Jan 2000
This review is from: Everything is Negotiable (Paperback)
This marvellous book was given to me some years ago and I have recommended it on numerous occasions. As a senior divorce lawyer in London I make this book compulsory reading for all young trainees and solicitors in my firm. And above all, the book is easy and fun to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I selfishly hope no-one else reads this book., 30 May 2000
This review is from: Everything is Negotiable (Paperback)
This is a book you could read simply for fun. Prof. Kennedy is not only an amusing writer but gets to the point too.
My reason for reading it was to help me sell. Both selling and buying are fully covered with practical observations and 'do' & 'do not' advice.
It helped me and if you EVER buy or sell ANYTHING it will help you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy, enjoyable, practical book, 25 April 2003
This review is from: Everything is Negotiable (Paperback)
Everything is negotiable is a book I can't recommend highly enough. It's very easy to read, nicely packaged as a balance of stories and practical exercises and it does the difficult job of getting you to think hard about your own negotiating abilities without being critical. The stories are great, it's fun to read and you simply can't avoid becoming a more aware negotiator. Many books use a similar format, with practical exercises or questions to round off each chapter's message, but I've never seen it done as well as in this book. This isn't a book for fancy tricks, it's a book for doing the fundamentals really well, and whether you regard yourself as a novice or expert in negotiation, this book will help you be even more effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read on the subject, 20 Dec 2011
peter (SHEFFIELD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is about the 20th book I've read on this subject, and this version is the 4th edition - I read the third edition and this is a big improvement.

There is alot to read here - long-winded stories of the author's own adventures in negotiating around the world. But the reason this book stands out for me is because the stories are so convincing - compelling you to alter your behaviour and stand your ground with prices, and only concede if offered in return.

I recently bought, and am currently selling, some property. This book was vital - on its advice I turned down the first offer and it worked. Obvious really, but if like me you need persuading and convincing how and why to toughen up a bit when negotiating, and to do it without appearing rude - then this is a very useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is really that good!, 3 May 2010
I know what you are thinking. Yet another book that will help me negotiate, sell myself better, get what I want on my own terms. BS, right?
I thought so too. I normally stay away from these types of book since they recycle a lot of "wisdom" and you end up readying a book getting nothing out of it.
I actually put that book to the test. In the first few weeks it was not straight forward as the author describes it as it was not embedded in my nature to act as he teaches you.
Slowly I let his method take command and I've managed to get massive discounts and I am talking about high street retailers with no Sale sign to be seen.

Everything is Negotiable
Everything is Negotiable by Gavin Kennedy (Paperback - 21 Aug 1997)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available