on 18 January 2000
Together with its sequel, The Golden Cat, this book makes a strange, shifting tapestry, a fiction that begins as the biography of an ordinary housecat and ends with a kind of sea-change, a cat-millenium in which all the world's ills are healed. We aren't meant to take any of this too seriously, of course--you would have to be rather dull and literalistic to expect that from an author who calls a cat "Ragnar Gustaffson Coeur de Lion". And yet there's a real imaginative edge to the adventures here, especially those of Rags as he searches for his lost queen, or those of the cat known only as "Animal X" as he makes his slow, decent way across a kind of idealised English landscape to the sea, after his release from an experimental farm. There is also an amazing sense of community: Tag the spoiled kitten loses his home, but finds support, love, and a sense of his own worth--a life, in short--among his new friends. Despite (or perhaps because of) a difficult, demanding and exciting existence, the cats in both these books take such good care of one another! We could learn a lot from them. Worth six stars, if I had them to give, despite some wobbly writing in places.
on 25 July 2002
Gabriel King's story about a very special cat on a wild adventure is superb. The characters in this tale are not only believable, but they act exactly as real cats do. If you love cats you will love this book, and it will also appeal to everyone else too.
After reading this first book I could not wait to read the next (and the next...)
on 2 June 1999
This book made me think so very hard about what we as humans are really like. I could not read the wild road quickly, I had to stop, think and digest what I had read. It made me cry, it made me smile and laugh out loud. As an animal (especially cat ) lover who works hard for animal justice this superb book told the story of Tag, Cy, Ragnor, Pertelot and Sealink, all the cats who I feel I know so very well, who were joined on their journey by loves a dustbin the fox and one for sorrow, the magpie. The horrors of the alchemist were, at times too much to bear and I was ashamed to be a human being. All along I knew the feline species would emerge as the most intelligent and the second BOOK 'The Golden Cat' has not let me down either. Gabriel King is stunning and the descriptive language heightens every human sense. This man is a genius and anyone who knows the real world of cats needs to read this wonderful mans work.The Majicou even turns up in my email address! P.S. 'Gabriel if you ever read this...whens the next book?'
on 29 January 2000
I was asked to read both The Wild Road and The Golden Cat by my mother. We are both great cat fans and enjoy nothing more than a well written book. Both of these books keep you enthralled in a magical journey on Wild Roads, which you could easily believe in if you have ever really watched cats. With some wonderful characters, from Tag the innocent Burmilla kitten through to good old Mousebreath a wise street cat and you have to give Sealink a sassy Maine Coonts with serious attitude a mention. Not forgetting the evil Alchemist who is bent on destroying all cats everywhere. The storyline is gripping and intriguing with trials and tribulations for all characters along the way. I highly recommend these books to any cat lover or any reader who enjoys adventure, fun, suspense, happiness and joy all rolled into one brilliant read.
on 14 September 2005
I first read The Wild Road a few years ago and loved it.
Then left it on a train and forgot all about it until my housemate came home last week and said I had to read this book about cats.
It was just as enjoyable the 2nd time and I found it to be beautifully descriptive. (If you are not a fan of long descriptive paragraphs then this book may not be your thing)
The characters are given real life and personality and it is hard not to look at your domestic moggie without wondering do they travel on wild roads too????
It is at times slightly disturbing and raises some very hard issues like animal testing/cruelty and selective breeding but on the whole it is a very hard to put down adventure story.
I highly recommend it and if you have cats you will never see them in the same light again....
on 21 November 1998
A YOUNG BURMILLA CALLED TAG GETS LOST WHEN OUT FOR A WALK. HE FALLS IN WITH TWO SHOWCATS CALLED RAGNAR AND PERELOT. HE IS INFORMED THAT HE HAS A DUTY TO PROTECT THE KING AND QUEEN OF CATS AND TRIES TO DO SO WITH THE HELP OF AN URBAN FOX CALLED 'LOVES A DUSTBIN' AND A MAGPIE CALLED 'ONE FOR SORROW'. ON HIS TRAVELS TAG MEETS SEALINK, A CALICO WHO HAS BEEN ROUND THE WORLD 'CY', A YOUNG (PSYCHIC) TABBY WITH A SPARKPLUG IN HER HEAD, AND MOUSEBREATH, AN EXPERT FISHERCAT. HE FIGHTS THE EVIL ALCHEMIST AND HIS HOARDS OF HYPNOTISED CATS IN MANY THRILLING BATTLES UNTIL THE CLINCHER AT THE CLIFFS OF TINTAGAL. IF HE WINS THE UNIVERSE WILL BE SAVED BUT IF HE FAILES THE ALCHEMIST WILL BE IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wife bought The Wild Road on a recent holiday, as the white cat on the cover reminded her of one of her own!
I was the first to read it, some months after we got back home and being the type that "can't put a good book down", finished it within a few days.
The white cat on the cover is one of the main characters, and what characters they are!The author really has the knack of "fleshing out" them all,feline or otherwise,in fact the only characters that are given a passing thought are the humans in the book.
The book is from a cat's perspective and any cat owner/lover will soon feel drawn in as the author really does know her feline stuff!
I really felt fully involved with the cats on their arduous journey and full of joy when they reached their goal and ultimately triumphed.
A book about a foolish human who tried to walk the "Wild Road" where only cats and other animals are allowed.A book about a loving relationship between a cat, a fox and a magpie!...sounds unbelievable but it really works!At the end of the day a "good overcomes evil" story again, but with some delicious twists along the way...I always thought the Great Fire of London started in the bakery on Pudding Lane...if you want the truth read this book!
A delicious read!
on 21 June 2007
this a great book, it draws you in from the start, gabriel king is brilliant at keeping you reading! as the characters in the book make their own journeys, they are cleverly interwoven with the history of cats and you are pulled in and compelled to keep reading. the characters are all very different and compliment each other well. it's not just about cats it's about all animals! magpies, foxes, rats, birds of all descriptions and many more, are given a voice! read it then read the golden cat immediately afterwards! i well and truly belive in the wild roads now!
on 18 November 1998
A fascinating book which takes the reader on a quest across time and space along the Wild Roads. King has written one of the more plausible "through the eyes of animals" stories which engages the reader from the first lines to the last scenes. Stylisticly, the narrative can be slow in some parts, but it does not detract from the tale to be told. The sequel is eagerly awaited.
on 13 January 2013
I had read this book in the nineties and loved the book then, in the passage of time I lost the book and so during a conversation with a friend I remembered this book again. The book came quickly and I have since read and enjoyed the book again. I look at my cat in another light