on 4 October 2007
My 20 month old daughter loves this book. It's a simple enough story for her to understand yet with a melancholic edge which has her happily gurning her pretend sad face (especially when the monster breaks one of Bernard's toys)! Recommended to all!
on 29 October 2000
Reading this book made me ask myself do my children get enough attention? The children related to this book.
Bernard is left to his own devices. He seeks attention from the family and then gets eaten by a monster..the parents don't realize they are talking to a monster and not to their son Bernard (even the monster gets confused)...
It has the great affect of making a monster seem friendly. Explaining the dilemma parents have of trying to spend time with their children and at the same time getting on with their household chores. Easy enough for your 4-5 year old to read along with you.
I intend to buy extra copies to send to other family members.
on 5 August 2006
This was my favourite book when I was a boy, read it a million times. The cool thing is, when you read it as an adult you realise that there is an important mesage there too.
Ignore your children and they will turn into monsters.
Brilliant!
on 26 January 2013
The mum and dad in this story are so preoccupied with day to day life, they fail to spot that their lonely son, Bernard, has a monster in his bedroom. Eventually Bernard is eaten by the monster, who then masquerades as Bernard!

All parents have busy days on which they have not enough time for their children. I like the fact that the lonely Bernard, has a fertile imagination and is resourceful enough to invent a monster. He then pretends to have been eaten by it/ becomes the monster, himself. A classic! Far from sinister, this story shows how an intelligent child occupies himself when his parents are busy.

It's a great way to encourage children to pretend role play/ make believe, discuss imagination, emotions, seeking attention and family life. It is unlikely that the author intended this to be the tale of a severely neglected child.
on 22 October 2007
I adore this book and it has been cherished and read again and again for my 2 daughters. They found the idea of Bernard's parents not noticing he'd turned into a monster very funny and not at all sad or scary. I personally don't think there is any sinister message here - all kids know of the feeling of being ignored by their parents at some point in their lives!!
on 13 April 2012

on 19 February 2011
My almost 3 year old son loves this book as it has a monster, my 5 year old daughter loves this book because she can read it herself and although it makes me cry I love this book because it makes me think about how often I am saying 'not now...' all parents say it and while teaching children that it is not always appropriate to interrupt is important so it taking the time to listen to what our children are telling us and spending a little time in their world. Children view it as a funny book with monsters that a new reader can access not a scary story of indifferent, neglectful parents and it is this fact that makes in such a good book and the illustrations are great to!
on 6 October 2006
Lovely illustrations and my 3 year-old son enjoys the story, but it is really quite sad. On every page the little boy, Bernard, is being told by one of his parents "not now", to the point where they don't notice that he's been replaced by a monster whilst eating his dinner or going to bed.

This story does get read at bedtime once or twice a onth in our house but I can't say that I like it at all.
55 comments11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2010
Had to purchase this book after getting it out of the library, my daughter did not want to take it back! A great story, very funny about a little boy who gets ignored by his parents then gets eaten by a monster who comes to live in the house and his parents don't even notice!! This book is a clasic little gem that every child should have in their library. Suitable for younger readers as a quick read, not many words, clear pictures. We love it.
on 13 November 2006
We used to read this most evenings before bedtime to both our children. For the children it's a story with a monster, for adults it's a sad story of a boy who's parents just don't have enough time to notice him. Great book and not too boring when you've "read it" for the 200th time! We now buy it for our friends children, so that there is a good book around if we get the honour of the bedtime story.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse