5.0 out of 5 stars funny and helpful

1.0 out of 5 stars Two of Everything is really quite hard core
Published on 10 Aug 2009 by Mr. David Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and helpful, 24 Mar 2000
This review is from: Two Of Everything (Paperback)
My three and a half year old has wanted to read this book every day since I bought it. Although Paula and Demetrius's parents aren't the same as my ex and I, reading about other children with "problem parents" seems to have helped my daughter talk about and release some of her feelings about our divorce. She's pointed out how we're different to the Ogglebutts and laughed at them. This book is completely non-judgemental. It tells everything from the children's point of view and shows how they're stuck in the middle and that its *not* their fault. And it's hilarious.
The book used to be available as "The Un-Wedding".
I wish there were more kids stories about divorce and children with two homes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic - 100% recommended, 16 Dec 2007
K. Burch (UK) - See all my reviews
What a brilliant book!

Key example - first time I ever read this to my 4 year old daughter...

The two parents in the book are arguing and fighting all the time (all very humorously), and their two children, our main characters, wonder if it might all be their fault. As soon as that question was posed my daughter piped up with, "It is!". I was stunned.

Of course on the next page it is explained how, at a meeting of all the kids at school who have problem parents, it was unanimously decided that it is NOT the fault of kids if "their parents behave like 5 year olds".

From that moment on my daughter has agreed with the book every time, and realises that our separation is not her fault.

This is SUCH a classic thing for kids to think, and I am so grateful that this book surfaced this idea in my daughter's mind (it was obviously already there) and then showed her in a very powerful way what the actual truth is.

I also recommend "It's not your fault, Koko Bear". When I bought these two books and read them to my daughter it made an immediate and profound difference to her, how she felt about handover times, etc.

Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars best book so far, 29 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Two of Everything (Hardcover)
For people not wanting an American "shrink's couch" perspective, this book is a good European alternative. The story is stylish and doesn't put too much focus on words such as Divorce, but takes a lighter approach at the whole issue of parents living separately.
Best book on the topic I've seen so far - by a long way

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, witty and to the point, 1 May 2007
S. J. Willby (Rainham Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Two Of Everything (Paperback)
I wanted a book to help explain to my 5 year old daughter that she will have two homes and that mummy and daddy are separating. This is the first she picked from a few I ordered from Amazon and she was giggling and laughing through it. I've never see that reaction before!

The book explains how mum and dad have differences and that they get 'un-married' in a comical well drawn and well written children story book way. Uncomplicated. Definate for any 4 to 8 year old who you feel needs a reassurance that he/she isn't the only one who has parents that split up and helps the parent explain and discuss (what does unmarried mean? was one question I had). I love it - hope you do to.

5.0 out of 5 stars So hard to find a book like this, 19 Aug 2005
This review is from: Two Of Everything (Paperback)
My son is 4 and has suffered quietly after his dad left very suddenly. He thought that it was his fault and has been searching his soul and questioning each time he has not behaved perfectly. It has taken a lot to get him to talk about how he feels and this book helped. Another book that was excellent was 'It's not your fault, Koko bear' by Vicki Lansky

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to help children cope with parental break up!, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Two Of Everything (Paperback)
This book is so useful when working with children who are experiencing parental break up - and the humourous approach allows a difficult issue to be addressed in a lighter way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two of Everything is really quite hard core, 10 Aug 2009
Mr. David Chapman (Camberley UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Two Of Everything (Paperback)
This book could be useful for some families who have suffered a very bitter and upsetting break up, however if your family hasn't suffered in this way don't buy it. It is quite hard core and really paints a bad picture of a family breakup. It talks alot about arguing and the parents becoming uglier as their behaviour to each other becomes uglier. It could be seen to be a little funny, but for most people I think its a bit upsetting. It could be good for older children but clearly it is a younger childs book from the pictures and layout of words.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware - read the reviews before you purchase. Contains Spoilers., 9 Jun 2011
n7misc (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Two Of Everything (Paperback)
I have respect for Babette Cole and the publishers of this book, and it may be appropriate in some circumstances - but certainly not for all children of divorced parents. Note also that all of the characters are caucasion.

The book starts by explaining that the two children in the book have 'problem parents'. It goes on to explain the things that annoy each parent about the other - to make clear that living in the same house is too difficult for them. It frustrated me to see quite stereotypical archetypes here - with mum nagging dad...

The book continues by explaining that the parents have different opinions about everything and then says that living together makes the parents dislike each other, and because of their ugly thoughts, they become uglier people.
The parents then start playing (rather nasty) tricks on each other, which causes the children worry about the adults' behaviour and about whether they are to blame. Sad and confused, they have a meeting at school to discuss 'problem parents' with other kids - at which it's decided that it's not the kids fault 'if their parents behave like five-year-olds.'

The upshot of all this is that the kids arrange an un-marriage, after which they bulldoze the family home - replacing it with two separate homes for their parents (with a tunnel between them for the kids). With this arrangement, the kids get two of everything, and they also get two happy parents - living apart.

There will be some divorces where this book is either tame, or a good representation of adult behavious, and for such cases, perhaps this book would be useful. However, in a more amicable situation, this is rather too much and would be most upsetting for a child. (I'd suggest this is aimed at the pre-8 yrs old market).

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for young children, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Two Of Everything (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my four year old daughter, something I would not have done, had I been able to flick through it beforehand. This book might be better suited for older children, perhaps 8-10 year olds would enjoy (?) this book, but my daughter and I did not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
fantastic

Two Of Everything
Two Of Everything by Babette Cole (Paperback - 2 Mar 2000)