5.0 out of 5 stars A working class man reaches the dizzy heights of stardom
Published on 5 Oct. 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Came by snail mail
Book fine but came after it was required for a Father's Day present. I will have to keep it for a Xmas present now. It was supposed to be in stock and it was only after I'd finished with the order that it was shown as coming after it was required. Very disappointed as this is the first time this has happened on Amazon.
Published on 7 Aug. 2011 by superpamuk

5.0 out of 5 stars A working class man reaches the dizzy heights of stardom, 5 Oct. 2003
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
Written in a language that anyone can understand. Michael Caine dispels the untruths that have been written about him. He lays on the line his heart felt life story from his acting "debut" at the age of three right up to the the "discovery" of his half brother David. It will leave the reader laughing out loud and at times holding back the tears. His account spans an era that most readers will find nostalgic to say the least. How the son of a market fishmonger hob nobbed it with the greats of Hollywood and the British Royalty. If you want to know Michael Caine this is the only book to read, especially if you want to know "what his life was was all about".

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all about Caine, 17 Sept. 2002
Rob Mynott (Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
This book is simply amazing. Never before have I laughed so much from what I have read, or been touched by some of the things that Michael Caine has written in this amazing book. The section where he describes the death of his father is particularly touching. This however is an up-lifting book, and it has to be the funniest I've read. Comparisons with Niven are fully justified, and Caine's easy-going persona comes across well wonderfully the printed page.
In short, buy this book. If you're a fan wanting to know the score from the man himself, or if you're simply looking for a truly entertaining read, then this has to be the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely entertaining., 19 Dec. 1998
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
What's It All About is a terrific read. Caine is both witty and entertaining in the role of raconteur - one which he clearly enjoys. Much like David Niven before him he manages to combine the ordinary facts of his life and experiences with just the right amount of name dropping. Stars parade in and out of his stories but you never lose sight of the real star of the book - nor does he ever lose sight of his origins. You sense that he is still bemused by his own success and still grateful for all he has got. Only pick this book up if you have a little time to spare as I promise you, you won't want to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Icon......, 22 Jun. 2010
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
This is a great book. Charting the history of this true Icon's childhood years through to his rise to fame.

I found that this book was a true "page-turner". Michael details his close run thing with fame and introduces a host of colourful characters throughout. I have to say that I can still remember the way he dealt with a "top" Holywood star that was behaving like a spoilt brat - sheer genius.

I haven't read this again in many years but there are so many passages that I can recall vividly. If you haven't read an autobiography and wonder whether to bother read this now. It really is an amazing insight into a genuine star.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gentleman, 2 Sept. 2003
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
Michael Caine is as funny, kind, intelligent and endearing as he is on film. Some of his stories made me howl with laughter. His memories of the making of Zulu (one of my favourite films) was very funny. For a person to fight as he has done throughout his life and career and to still be going strong in top selling films today is truly remarkable. This book simply has to be on everyone's reading list

5.0 out of 5 stars From Nothing To Everything, 4 Oct. 2007
Mr. S. C. Bailey "Just your average Englishma... (Woodford, Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
The Story of how Maurice Micklewhite became Sir Michael Caine, a rags to riches story told by the great man himself.

Lots of name droppings as you's expect from a star but the story of how he got the Name Caine & the Story of His unknown Disabled Brother are very poignant.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic reading (up there with David Niven's books), 9 July 2001
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
If you liked the books by David Niven then this is a gem . It's so well written that you visually see every page happen . If you don't laugh out or wipe your eyes then you have no feelings . The gas mask from when he was a boy had me falling off my sun lounger in Maderia . A first class well written read .

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 28 Feb. 2011
This was very enjoyable. I read it ages ago and have bought it to recommend to my son and read again when he has finished! It is easy to read and very interesting. Well written and one of those books you carry around to read when you have a moment. Try it!

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST MEMOIRS I'VE EVER READ, 31 July 2011
KOMET (WASHINGTON, DC - U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
Ever since I saw Michael Caine in "THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING" and "THE EAGLE HAS LANDED" back in the 1970s, he has been one of my favorite actors. Now that I have finished this delightful and wonderful memoir (one of the best that I've ever read), I like him even more as a human being.

Born into poverty in London in 1933, Caine had a childhood ambition to be an actor. Up until he was almost 30, he struggled, largely unrecognized, to develop his talent. With the success of "ZULU", Caine became a star and further solidified his career in movies such as "THE IPCRESS FILE", "THE ITALIAN JOB", "GET CARTER", and "SLEUTH" (starring with Sir Lawrence Olivier).

Caine is a very engaging storyteller and this book is replete with his varied experiences of working on various movie sets around the world, making friendships with some of the most remarkable people in his profession (as well as the arts, royalty, and politics), and his love and devotion to his family and friends great and small.

I'll sum up my review of "What's It All About" with 2 observations made by Mr. Caine himself in it -
"I was once asked the difference for me between theatre, film and television. They were like three women, I said. The theatre was a woman whom I loved but who didn't love me back and treated me like s--t. The cinema was a woman whom I loved who loved me back so deeply she didn't care when I treated her like s--t. And television was a one-night stand."

"So what was it all about? In my case it was about ambition and anger and despair and determination, the everyday driving force of the poor who wish to find a ladder out of the well of hopelessness. It was also about my companions on my journey through show business. We are not, of course, without our faults. For the most part we are spoiled if we are successful, and bitter if we are not. We can be conceited and arrogant, and we are all, without exception, insecure. Finally, we are all slightly mad, or we would not be in this business in the first place, and only cling on to some sanity by a thin thread of incurable optimism."

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 18 July 2013
For me this was a fantastic read about a well known down to earth actor.From start to finish it was interesting and funny,I think a film should be made out of this book.I would recommend this book to anyone.

What's It All About?
What's It All About? by Michael Caine (Paperback - 1 July 1993)
Used & New from: £0.01