5.0 out of 5 stars a book to spark children's imagination
Published on 29 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for under 3's
This was bought as a 3rd bday pressie for my little boy - an avid reader. He really struggled with the concept. Essentially this book does not have a plot. The reader can pick one out of a variety of options and "decide" what they would rather do (e.g. have breakfast in a castle or tea on a river boat). This is quite a grown-up idea and caused much confusion...
Published on 30 Jun 2009 by EC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a book to spark children's imagination, 29 Aug 2001
This review is from: Would You Rather.... (Hardcover)
I normally don't write reviews of books, but I feel that this one is such a treat for children that I couldn't resist. I bought it years ago for my nephew when he was only four, and we laughed and laughed as we read it together. It is true that some of the situations described in the book - being eaten by an animal, getting lost, eating disgusting things - would be unpleasant and frightening if they really happened, but it is obvious that the author is just being silly in the choices offered. And most children know this. They have incredible imaginations, which adults often seem to forget, and this book only adds to the expansion of their imaginations. There is lots of fun to be had reading this book, while providing an opportunity for growth. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a creativity standpoint, it's terrific, 13 May 2001
This review is from: Would You Rather.... (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my oldest child in 1978. He is now 25 years old. He never experienced nightmares, insomnia, or any fears as a result of reading this book. He is well educated and well adjusted.Married one year ago, he and his wife are expecting their first child late next fall.Grandmother will be adding this to the list of books for the new baby's library. As the original has been through 4 children, I am delighted that I was able to find it in hardcover on the net!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Memories, 25 Dec 2004
This review is from: Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
This is such a great book - I remember reading this with my dad and sister for years, we never grew tired of it. "Would you rather?" will teach children to think, form and express their opinion and learn that they do have choices. Imaginative and funny, a book I will buy for my kids one day!

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, classic children's book, 23 April 2008
H. Dawes (northampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
After reading "hurburgh's" ridiculous opinions on this book I just had to write a review. I read this book over and over again as a child and loved every minute of it, you are given a series of options such as `would you rather, fly in a hot air balloon? Or go on a boat in the river? As well as more revolting choices such as which bugs you would rather eat! The book is fun, with beautiful illustrations for each choice and a little boy that features throughout, making the choices with you, there is no way this book would inspire nightmares as suggested, but it would inspire children to have fun reading, looking at the lovely pictures and learn how to make choices, even though they are most likely not going to face a choice between getting eaten by a fish or sat on by a rhinoceros. This book is lots of fun, and at 28 years old and a `normal' well adjusted adult I can't wait to read it to my children, using the same slightly crumpled and tatty old original version I had as a child

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for read aloud!, 11 Jun 2001
This review is from: Would You Rather.... (Hardcover)
This is a fabulous and fun book that is great for reading out loud. The scenarios are very appealing to kids. Who wouldn't laugh at the hilarous pictures that go with this choice: "Would you rather...an elephant drank your bath water, an eagle stole your dinner, a pig tried on your clothes, or a hippo slept in your bed" Burmingham knows how to tickle kids' funny bones. What fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars A family must have., 17 Jan 2007
L. Bone (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
We have had this book in the family for years, both children still love it even though they don't read it anymore they still play the 'would you rather game.' Which has lead to many hysterical family discussions and has made some long car journeys alot easier. I think the book ends on such a nice note that I couldn't imagine many children being upset by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for drama and class discussion, 24 Aug 2006
Ms. E. H. Street "word_seller" (gloucestershire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I have to politely disagree with "hurburgh", who seems to think that children have no imaginations or sense of fun. The best thing about this book is that they are given a choice so they are made to think, but without the threat of being in the actual situation. I have read this to a class of 24 kids and although many of them are sensitive (nervous when discussing the Great Fire of London) this book was met with raucous laughter, strong opinions and imagination.

A brilliant drama session ensued where they were able to discuss their feelings through role-play.

A lovely little book with audience-participation as standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endlessly re-readable, 29 Sep 2010
Laverne (Haywards Heath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
The imaginative child will love this book, which taps in to some of those terrifying dilemmas and troubling/embarrassing choices we create in our minds as children. What more awful for a small boy or girl than having to choose something unspeakable because the alternative is that your dad will do a dance in front of your class. A truly insightful book. And superb idiosyncratic illustrations. Well done AGAIN JB.

4.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 29 Jun 2010
This review is from: Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
Read this with a class of Y2s (6-7 year olds) and they loved it. They found it highly amusing. We invented other 'Would you rather' ideas and even did a series of maths lessons from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
Wonderful book that is loved by my 2 year old daughter, and also by us as her parents, which is not what you can say about a lot of kids' books!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books)
Would You Rather? (Red Fox Picture Books) by John Burningham (Paperback - 20 Jan 1994)
5.59