on 28 June 2013
I have never read anything as beautiful as this book. Not only the story, but the writing of it. This will be my desert island book. I shall read it over and over. And know myself better each time.
on 25 October 2011
This is a beautiful, beautiful story. The protagonist remains gender-neutral throughout... I bought this book just to lend it to friends who I know will connect with it as much as me.
on 25 September 2013
A friend recommended this book, and I'm delighted with it. It is beautifully written, and will make the perfect gift for a friend, at which time I will certainly buy this for her.
on 2 October 2013
Condition of book as described and at a good price. Another beauty of work by Jeanette Winterson would recommend buying alongside The Stone Gods .
on 15 March 2016
Flowing like the natural and easy conversation with a long standing friend. The pain, the beauty, is all perfectly fathomable.
on 2 June 2015
This is sheer poetry, full of metaphor, full of musings on life and death and with a love/lust story running through it.
on 17 April 2013
Perfectly readable book, but wasn't quite as passionate as portrayed by others and seemed like a story from another era.
on 22 July 1999
Many friends who I greatly respect adore this book, and I suppose the fact that they're straight and I'm lesbian doesn't really give me license to make my dislike of it 'authoritative'. But I find the book very evasive, very unplaced and very unpolitical in spite of jokey references to man-hating feminist terrorists. Much play has been made of the book's 'genderless' narrator. Is this more than a trick? I don't know, but I also don't know many people who've been able to read the book without reading the narrator as a woman, influenced by Winterson's status as most-hyped lesbian author. However, whatever you make of the gender of the narrator, the ego of the narrator is pretty apparent, and I disliked the book so completely simply because the author's/narrator's intention seems to be to play games at the reader's expense; every paragraph has a punchline. The book is supposed to be about love, passion, the intensity and depth of it. I can't read it like that when all we ever know about the beloved is that she has red hair. What is it about her that the narrator loves? In Winterson's world that doesn't even seem to be an intelligible question.
on 29 June 2013
it is a very good book and be prepared to learn about yourself it is better to read in sequence
on 12 April 2015
Favourite book after 'why be happy if you can be normal'. Busy with art objects now.