Format: PaperbackChange

A book full of fantastic pictures that inspire such ideas and oral responses from children it's a teacher's delight. Great introduction to rhyming words, alliteration and understanding of basics of grammar. My class loved recognising the purpose of the exclamation mark. Lots of opportunity for predicting story-lines, spotting the different characters, talking about food. Gives children a real thirst for a good book..they repeated bits to one another over and over in the playground. A book that really satifies your appetite!
on 3 March 2002
THIS BOOK IS WONDERFUL AND SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES . I AM WORKING WITH A GROUP OF MUMS WHO ARE CREATING STORY SACKS FOR OUR LOCAL SCHOOL. WE CHOSE THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT WAS BRIGHT , COLOURFUL,EASY TO FOLLOW AND FUN. THE VOCABULARY IS WONDERFUL AND THE WAY THE WORDS RHYHME IS GREAT.WE ALSO FELT THAT THE ILLUSTRATIONS BROUGHT THE WHOLE BOOK TO LIFE .THIS BOOK IS CERTAINLY A GREAT WAY TO PROMOTE READING !!!
on 21 September 2010
The pictures are vibrant and capture the imagination, and the flow of the dialogue and the different tones of voice mean that this book is such an interesting one to read aloud - and funny, too. It's absolutely true to say that years after my youngest was too old for this both she, and I, still remember big chunks of the text - and quote it back to each other at the breakfast table on a not infrequent basis.

I would have given it 5 stars. But that would be unfair to You Can Swim, Jim - which is surely the masterpiece. "Sore eyes, Doreen? That's the chlorine. Goggles are the thing for you" etc. etc. Classic. And now that my children don't want to read it anymore, I buy it for everyone else's.
on 30 October 2009
My two boys 3 & 5 love this book. There are some great rhymes many of which are regularly quoted at meal times. There pictures also have some many aspects, so we can always find a question to help them look more closely, or count items, identify colours. Mostly importantly I enjoy reading this book
on 14 November 2010
Bought this for my Granddaughter and she absolutely adores it. She's 21 months and always asks Granny to read 'The Jam Jim', 'The Jam Jim' please.
It is lovely & colourful and lots of interesting things to look out for
i.e. The horses on Jims shirt The sun on a jersey, dogs, cats, girls, boys plus all the different foods to name as well.
It is really helping her vocabulary too.
Pass the Jam Jim.
Brilliant.
on 5 December 2015
My older grandson loved this book when he was younger so I bought a copy for my three year old grandson to enjoy. It's a rhyming book and children soon learn to say the familiar phrases along with you. The illustrations are worth a mention too. They're very detailed so it gives plenty of scope for extra conversations and discussions about the story.
on 25 August 2015
A great rhyming text that captures my toddlers attention. "Pass the jam Jim" is repeated several times and my little girl now joins in which she loves.

The illustrations are busy with lots to explore and lots a funny things to spot.

This is fast becoming a favourite. A wonderful, quick, fun book for toddlers.
on 5 December 2014
This book has been a great favourite with all my grandchildren, and still buying it for the younger ones. The pictures are wonderful, especially the double page of party food! Lovely text too, they soon start joining in with the rhyming words. Would Definately recommend.
on 2 September 2013
I read this book to my children when they were younger and they can still remember the rhyme! I am now using it at school to help develop speech and language in children with special needs. Its a great story to role play with lots of fun props.
on 12 August 2013
Lots of action
Repeated phrase
Plenty of dramatic opportunities
The illustrations were excellent and added to the story
A lovely book