Format: PaperbackChange

on 31 August 2014
Cover 2/5 Says nothing about the book.

Contents. After starting I stopped to read Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher book Personal. After finishing Personal I resumed Mamista feeling the extra depth of Deighton over Child. However, to me the end did not match the build up so disappointment - although the twists in the tail were good.

Liked descriptions of Guinea and the jungle.

Dislike plotting of the last quarter of the book.

Comment against my six "e"s

* Engrossing and interesting -- Three quarters of the book all right then it got lost in the jungle.

* Enjoyment and entertainment -- Len Deighton's depth in the writing is great but I felt book ran out of steam.

* Emotional -- All very low key.

* Educational -- All the machinations and politics interesting.

* Ease of reading -- Deighton I have found needs working at but I appreciate the depth of writing.

Endings are important to me and, generally, I do not like the happily ever after variety. The ending of Mamista is satisfactory with clever twists.

Overall a good read for three quarters through then left disappointed.

Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!
on 19 October 2011
I could not believe this was a Len Deighton book. After the first few pages I checked to make sure that it was by my favourite author. It just doesn't have the same quality as his other books. Maybe it's the jungle setting or the south American angle. I was very disappointed with this book
on 6 May 1998
Comparing Len Deighton to Tom Clancy works only in that both authors choose from time to time to operate in the shadow world of espoinage. In a Clancy novel there is never any doubt who wears the white hat; it is this distinction that separates Deighton from Clancy. A generation back the comparison between Deighton and Clancy would have been Graham Greene and Ian Fleming. Which you choose says more about the types of novels you read than which story you preferred.
MAMista is a story written by an author quite comfortable examining the moral ambiguities presented, with good detail to his fictional surroundings, direct in his presentation, and very agile in his story-telling abilities. The characters always come alive with the story, including some minor ones you'd rather not have done so. The only complaint; in setting the mood so well, Deighton can go on a bit more than necessary. This is a minor flaw in an otherwise graceful novel.
on 16 March 1997
I read this book right after a Tom Clancy novel, and well, it's hard to compete with the master, Tom Clancy. I would probably have enjoyed this more if I had read it first. The plot just wasn't near as exciting as the the Clancy book, and I think that did play a part in my opinion of this book. All in all though, it was a good book and well written.
on 20 November 2013
The book was unreadable! Chapters 5 and 6 were duplicated and both Chapters 7 and 8 were missing! Totally impossible to read!