Format: Hardcover|Change

on 24 November 2013
I am a big fan of Simon Hopkinson and I have always found his books entertaining to read and packed with useful recipes. I bought this book- admittedly without looking at it first - for my cousin's 60th birthday present confident that it would live up to Hopkinson's previous high standards. How wrong I was. Far too basic and thin on content. I'm sorry, to take a whole page for steamed potatoes, another for watercress salad [put watercress in bowl and dress with olive and lemon juice, I joke not], buttered sprouts [put in pan and boil] I could go on made me feel very short-changed. Simon, I suggest you find a new publisher they have certainly short-changed you with this book.
on 11 June 2014
I really enjoy Simon on television so was a bit disappointed that there was very few recipes in this book. By that I mean compared to other books. On telly he always does things that he makes sound very simple and this book was a bit fancier than his normal.
on 21 September 2014
i like this man and loved his earlier work. indeed i bought on the strength of his other books. However its a nice coffee table book , but it has no substance simple recipes lots of cocktails very very insubstantial. pretty pictures is the best i can say.considering the qualityof "roast chicken etc" it falls a long way short of that standard .disappointing
on 14 October 2013
really enjoyed the TV series. Very much like the way it is set out in menu's as it makes life very easy. I have already made one whole menu and cocktail - which went down very well with guests
Would have liked some tips on parts that you can cook ahead as some of the recipes are quite time intensive (that maybe because I am not a very efficient cook)
on 19 December 2013
I bought this book having loved Simon's TV series as he is so passionate about food and drink. The book exceeded my expectations - it is absolutely fantastic.
on 16 February 2016
This is an interesting collection of menus, for a variety of dinner party occasions. The menus compromise a cocktail and a canape, an entree, first course,main course and side and a dessert . The recipes are largely straight forward. You may have to shop around for a few ingredients. The writing is clear and each menu has a separate introduction. A nice read as well as a cook book and an inspiration for a dinner party or two.
on 20 January 2015
Good price for this book. It accompanies Simon's TV series on Channel 4 which was excellent but contains not just the six menus from the programs - he has put together 12 menus for the book.
on 13 November 2013
I love Simon,s books.I trained as a chef near him and have eaten in restaurants where he was the chef and never been disappointed.Love the way he sticks to classic methods because they work.Well done simon.
on 8 December 2013
Knowing that my recent purchases were all requests for Christmas presents, so much wanted, was delighted with all of them. would recommend any one of the various cookbooks I placed my order for.
on 12 April 2014
This is an excellent book as are all of his other books, my only complaint is many of the recipes are available free online.