Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 April 2016
This book is great, it's funny, sharp and light. It's the kind of book you'd take on the tube or in to hospital. It's easy to pick up and follow. If you know mindy and like her you'll love it, if you dont like her you'll hate this. There's a few unfair reviews on here, one saying its too simple and not challenging and another saying they finished it in a few days as its not very demanding. she says very early on in the book if you're reading this for weeks there's something wrong with you, it's little stories, lists and pictures! Others are saying I didn't understand it as I do t k ow her or know anything about America! Umm maybe research something before you buy it! It's self obsessed and indulgent, just as you'd expect from mindy, I read it in a day and as she said, I'd be ashamed if it had taken me longer!!
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2014
Mindy Kaling is my idol. In her early 30's, Mindy already has 10 seasons of the office under her belt as well as a degree from Dartmouth and an awesome self titled TV show moving into its third season. This collection of anecdotes about her childhood and trying to make it in New York is not only wonderfully written but very inspiring. Mindy grew up in Massachusetts and loved watching SNL and comedy series on TV while her friends were into boys and shopping at the mall. It's really inspiring to know that someone with such talent can create female centric comedy in the same league as her peers, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. If you're a fan of Mindy's, you probably already own this book. If you're stumbling across this - BUY IT. She's fun, quirky, modest and entertaining. I definitely want to hang out with her.
on 20 July 2012
I just had to have this in hardback after finding out about it's existence and I wasn't disappointed!
Mindy's unique voice shines through this book, and her hilarious anecdotes will have you embrassing yourself on the train by laughing like a nutter (a'hem).
My favourite little story was when she 'dived' off the highest board during summer-camp, keep an eye out for that one!
I also felt for her during her recollection of being too big for sample sizes during a photoshoot, no-one wants to be made to feel rubbish like that. The similarities between that anecdote and one from Tuna Fey's autobiography was interesting, clearly these fashion shoots need to cater to women over size 2.
If you are a fan of Mindy's, be it from he American Office or elsewhere, you'll love this book :)
on 14 September 2013
I read this in 2 days and I think it's fair to say that it's been a long time since I've laughed this hard at a book. Mindy is adorable, honest, hilarious and a great storyteller and role model to boot.
on 29 April 2015
I thought about giving it 4 stars because as great as it was it didn't change my life but then I thought what would Mindy say, she'd be like "if you have no issues with it give it 5 stars and help a sister out" so I did

It made me laugh out loud, gave me an insight to The Office and was like talking to a gal pals about all the things gal pals like to discuss. And if we're honest isn't the only reason to read a book because you have no one to chat sh*t with????

Buy it, read it, and think well it didn't change me life but it gave me some good laughs and wasn't a depressing book mainly about Salmon (a mistake I made with Salmon fishing in the Yemen, which I rate no stars at all if you were wondering)
on 20 May 2016
Mindy Kaling is such a talented writer; this can be seen through her hit show, The Office, and now through this book. What made this book so appealing to me is that Mindy is brutally honest about her life and life in general. She talks about the struggles that she had to go through and shows that it was not easy for her to get to where she is now. This is a book where she hits the right balance of hysterically funny whilst also conveying more serious and important messages to young girls and budding writers. My favourite thing however is that she totally conveys that psycho eccentric side that all women have and she's not afraid to do so. A really quick and engaging read that I would thoroughly recommend.
on 22 May 2015
OK -Im much older then maybe the target audience but I loved reading this book. Thought it slightly inspiring for any woman to be honest and hats off to Mindy for working so damn hard and being so damn funny x
on 15 January 2012
It is lovely to read a book that is both funny and informative. Funny because Kaling clearly has the comedy gene well and truly active in her make-up and informative because I now realise I should limit my product usage so people will think I'm a cowboy, which despite the fact I'm a gay man and not fishing for a lady wife (already having got myself a man-husband) seems something I need to get cracking on. I also approve of somebody organised enough to plan their own funeral and calorie count during revenge fantasies.
on 23 October 2013
I am totally biased as I think Mindy Kaling is a bad-ass comedy writer.
Basically,it is so good that the first few chapters made me laugh out loud, miss my train stop and generally spit out food whilst eating and reading in public.
The only reason it has 4 stars, is that :

-It is is not long enough
-It does not include any Mindy Project trajectory gossip,
and
-It is a bit frothy

That being said Mindy Kaling is a frickin' solid gold star of the USA comedy universe and will go on to do great things - and hopefully write a sequel titled 'Why all the networks think I am s*** hot and other concerns'
on 9 August 2013
Very funny and relatable. Make you love her even more! A must read for all women, will make you feel like there's someone else out there. Didn't stop laughing and couldn't put it down!