5.0 out of 5 stars A joy
Published on 7 Nov. 2011 by dire_tribe

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better
Mindy Kaling isn’t someone that I knew a lot about yet I loved the office and this book gives you a great understanding about how she has got to where she was today.

Published 7 months ago by Lottie

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy, 7 Nov. 2011
Just finished reading this - it was the first book to necessitate downloading the Kindle app for my iPhone and buying the ebook version because for some reason the UK shipping for the hard copy was 1-3 months, but worked out well as the audio extras are a fun touch. The essays cover a wide range of Mindy Kaling's thoughts, observations, and insights and is written in a conversational way that makes you feel like you are chatting to a friend. A really funny, interesting, smart friend. Too many highlights to mention, although I will say that the chapter "Guys Need to Do Almost Nothing to Be Great" should be gospel. I guess as Bossypants only came out earlier this year the Tina Fey comparisons will be inevitable. There are a few similarities, the most important being that both books make you laugh and feel happy. Who wouldn't want to have more books like that?

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?: (And other concerns) (Paperback)

To me the book felt like a scrapbook, written in a conversational style the book is very easy to read and contains many photos. You can’t help reading this book in Kaling’s voice it just feels like she’s talking to you.

The book is funny is some parts yet I have to admit that I felt as though I was far to old to be reading this book. Kaling herself makes the comment that this book has probably been purchased for a teenager by their ‘cool aunt’.

Some of the chapters feel a little cliché such as the one that touches of the subject of her weight, which seems to be a typical topic that female comedians discuss therefore the subject feels sort of tedious. This book is aimed at the young adult/preteen market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, uplifting, honest, 19 Nov. 2014
I'll come right out and say that I don't normally write reviews and I actually didn't like Mindy Kaling or her show. But I started watching the show and saw what the deal was about and when I found out she had written a book, I bought it (on Kindle as it was cheaper and I no longer have space on my bookshelf). The book is great! Really funny, actually I'll say hilarious as I often had to stop myself from laughing out loud on the tube. You definitely recognise Mindy's voice if you're familiar with her show. It's an honest and open book and she isn't afraid of tackling any type of bullying she encountered in her childhood or the problems she encountered trying to be a success. The book mainly deals about her life up to The Office and before The Mindy Projet and I was surprised to find out that she's also a director so she's definitely a quadruple threat (actor / writer / director / producer) and my admiration for her has solidified. I hope she remains the same person despite whatever success she will undoubtedly create in the future and write another book about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars SO FUNNY, 12 Sept. 2013
Laugh out loud comedy - If you love The Mindy Project then you will love this! Can't put it down!

3.0 out of 5 stars Read my diary instead of paying for this book., 30 Mar. 2015
How this book came to be a bestseller is beyond me. Let me explain.

Mindy's biography or rather a collection of essays is bearable and sometimes funny at best, and an endless rant about completely unrelated things - often without a point, at worst. For someone who doesn't normally read books and doesn't expect much in terms of getting a different but valuable new outlook on life, this might be an easy and enjoyable read. For a 12-year old, this book might be a fabulous choice also.
I feel it needs to be said that I adore Mindy, love her show, find her extremely inspirational. Initially, it comes as a shocker that I fell asleep twice while reading this. However, it makes sense. Whilst in a TV show we might look for a break from our hard lives and pressing problems just to indulge in a light (as opposed to deep) story where the characters dress impeccably, say lots of jokes, go through awkward scenes and show us that we're all just humans and it's okay not to be perfect; in a book I personally expect to learn something, get inspired, and see a well thought out analysis or reflection of the experiences, events and thoughts the author has encountered in his or her life, rather than mere descriptions of stories.

For example when Mindy says she hates riding the bike because they scratch against her legs or whatever in I Am Not an Athlete, Part I:Bikes - I couldn't help but think, and this is relevant how? It's a cute little rant, sure, inevitably showing us that the big success that is Mindy is just as normal and human as anyone else, but there was no need for a whole book to be written in this style. Mindy tells a lot of stories in this book, and more often than not they don't reach much of a conclusion in the sense that you might be wondering half-way through ''Is this going somewhere?''.(The answer would be - no. Only Mindy's light heartedness and the fact that her childhood and early adolescence were as difficult as anyone else's.)

In my opinion, this books shows perfectly why and how Mindy is so successful as a comedy writer - she's got a quick mind, a sense of humour, she isn't afraid to make fun of herself or comment on the world she sees around her with confidence (though often without being able to convince the reader, due to the lack of an argument). ''I like this, I don't like that, I think people should wear this, I hate navy.'' There's a lot of statements like this in her book, often presented without much of an explanation which is perfectly fine and good, but not exactly something that will provoke a mind-blowing revelation. Mindy, please keep using your talents to write scripts, produce great tweets and snaps; I also think you'd be great at creating viral content like those gif-filled articles on buzzfeed. But God, no more of this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun essays, stories and musings, Recommended to fans of the US Office., 6 Mar. 2014
Structure: This is a humorous memoir constructed into a collection of essays, stories from her life, advice and opinions. This sort of structure would make it an ideal commute read and because there were some sections I was more interested in than others so while I was reading I tended to skip around. The structure reminded me of both Bossypants by Tina Fey and Is it Just Me? by Miranda Hart, (both humorous memoirs that I would recommend).

Why I picked this book up: I’ve been really interested in reading this book since I started to pay more attention since I started to notice that Mindy Kaling wrote most of my absolute favourite episodes of The Office. I’ve also started to read along with the youtube based Answerly Book club, and this book is the comedy pick this month.

What I liked: There are some great chapters about Mindy being a quiet kid, a comedy nerd, who got on with her work which I really connected with as that describes my childhood pretty well (although I was nerdy all around). There’s some great advice telling teens that its okay to not be too cool in High School that I really agreed with.

There’s also some fun behind the scenes Hollywood stuff, really demystifies the whole ‘fame’ thing. (There is a description of the rubbish things she has received in the goody bags at award shows).

Basically the only autobiographies I read are written by Comedians and Writers, I especially love ones written by both. Partly because I’m really interested in comedy writing and working in a writing room in general so the behind the scenes on The Office/SNL was really great, (I would have loved more). I was actually hoping the book would have a chapter or more about creating her own show, however I think this was published before The Mindy Project came out, (if she wrote another book about this I wouldn’t hesitate to pick it up).

What I didn’t: I didn’t agree with some of the advice, particularly in the men’s section, she perpetuates some sexist double standards (a small example: she want’s men to have chest hair but thinks its weird if women have body hair). There were also a few sections where she mentions that she is not ‘Hollywood thin’ but in those sections although she is celebrating the ‘average woman’s size she makes lot’s of fat jokes. In one chapter there was a transphobic slur, under the guise of a joke. These parts were framed in a comedic way but they still rubbed me the wrong way/made me uncomfortable.

Would I recommend it: As you would expect this was a incredibly funny, and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Mindy Kaling/any fans of The Office who are interested in a light funny read.

Rating: 4/5

3.0 out of 5 stars Endearing and fun, 13 Dec. 2013
Marie (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This was recommended to me at a time when I was really busy and stressed. I really enjoy watching The Office, but I haven't seen Kaling starring in The Mindy Project and wouldn't call myself a 'fan' as such. I suspected this would be a quick, light and fluffy read that wouldn't require too much concentration, and I was exactly right - it turned out to be just what I was in the mood for.

This is a less conventional biography than others I've read, in that it's a bit of a mixed bag of tricks. There are the expected chapters about Kaling's childhood and her rise to success in the male-dominated comedy industry, of course. But additionally the reader is treated to lots of shorter passages and mini-essays about...well, anything that pops into Mindy's head, really. Some of these are really funny. I particularly enjoyed her observations on chick-flicks and romantic comedies. Unfortunately, elsewhere I found these interludes to be somewhat distracting. I was left unsure whether or not there was supposed to be a narrative flow from start to finish, or if it was all just meant to be a bit random.

All things considered, this is good fun - the bookish equivalent of going to a girlie sleepover and having a gossip with your best friends. If you're a fan of The Office you'll almost certainly appreciate her brand of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!!, 23 Aug. 2013
So funny! I've been the crazy lady laughing alone on the tube! I'll be passing this on to people I really like when I'm done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 May 2013
A laugh out loud feel good book which makes me feel at ease, knowing that there are other slightly odd people out there which share the same weird thoughts as me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought on impulse.....loved it., 24 Jun. 2014
Picked this up in an independent bookshop on a trip to the states. Shamefully I've never seen the US version of the office and didn't know who Mindy was?! I tend to be drawn in by covers, titles and a quick flick through.
It sat on my bookshelf for a couple of months until I needed something to occupy me on an extended journey.

I finished reading the book in three days (short sittings). As other reviewers have said, it's an easy read that can be dipped into. Chapters are short and varied.

Most importantly for me, this book made me laugh out loud. I loved the author's self deprecating humour and memories of her childhood. This is the first book in AGES that has actually made me laugh like this. The biggest decision now is whether to take it home in my luggage to pass on to friends, or leave it behind at the hotel and hope somebody else likes it as much as I did.

Thanks Mindy!

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?: (And other concerns)
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?: (And other concerns) by Mindy Kaling (Paperback - 23 May 2013)