5.0 out of 5 stars At last something new!
I have only one criticism of this book; I wish it was longer! Don't get me wrong, you get your money's worth. There is no sense that it's padded or over-priced, which is more than can be said for some books coming out of the Great British Bake Off. It's just that it isn't a massive work and it is so good I didn't want it to end; I have actually read it cover to cover, a...
Published 9 months ago by Matt

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment so far
My first bread book was 'Dough' by Richard Bertinet. I found this book to be so inspiring, foolproof, and therefore confidence-building that I soon started to try some other books on the subject.

Bought a Paul Hollywood one: '100 Great Breads'. Not bad, but a bit hit and miss to tell you the truth. Never mind, a couple more successful Bertinet recipes soon got...
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
Before buying this book I'd made some bread (and it wasn't great due to basic errors which I now realise since getting this book) but I'm not an experienced baker. I find the book very readable. It's informative and clear with easy to follow instructions and good advice (such as get a dough scraper). As James intended he has shown me how to bake bread in a way that works for me by telling me to rest my dough in the fridge for up to several days. The student's routine is great. I don't have a lot of time to bake and I'm very busy. Last night I prepared the Pain De Mie, stuck it in the fridge and went to bed. At about 6am this morning I got it out of the fridge, followed the rest of the instructions and my little boys and I had gorgeous fresh bread for lunch. I nearly ate the whole thing........there is still time. I've made my best bread since getting this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant doesn't quite cover it!, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
Got this book for my birthday, I love to bake and really want to improve my bread skills. I've already had success with Paul Hollywood, but this book is already promising much much more. Each beautiful page has me salivating, and itching to get in the kitchen. Not only does each and every recipe grab my attention, the recipes themselves are easy to follow and James makes the whole process so simple. I never thought I could make a sourdough, and now it seems like a walk in the park! Alongside the basic breads there are also all sorts of breads that I've merely dreamed of making, and one in particular that I'm looking forward to baking is pain au chocolat. What an excellent debut recipe book from James.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crusty or Soft, 31 Oct 2013
James Kirk "jamesy2000" (gosport UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
clear guidance on principles as well as recipes, have tried only a few recipes but all were successful, excellent present at the price

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Thorough, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
This is no quick cash in on short term fame. James has written a clear and comprehensive guide to a subject he loves. In his usual modest, understated style, James guides us through a wide range of breads, doughs and wheat based deliciousness. It's a little gem that provides a resource for ongoing reference.

Good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book...a must have, 5 Oct 2013
A. Cheyne (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally bother to write reviews, however I feel this book is worthy.
I have made several loafs of bread from the book so far and have thoroughly enjoyed the process each time-and have made fantastic bread (if I do say so myself).
The book is written in a nice style and I enjoyed reading all of James tips from his experience of baking bread.
There is a wealth of recipes within the book, enough to keep you busy for a long time. And the basic breads are sure to become staples in our house.
I have recommended this book to all of my friends and family and would recommend it to anyone who would like to make their own bread.

4.0 out of 5 stars great bread from confusion, 26 May 2014
Margaret Foster (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Kindle Edition)
I was left in no doubt at all that this chap is passionate about bread and just as passionate to get everyone baking it. In the beginning there is a bread. And it does not need kneading. I tried it letter by letter and it was really good. Then I tried the bread that does need kneading and that was really good too. Now this might not be such a great thing, until you realize that pre this book I made bread bricks. My husband once offered one of my loaves to a neighbor who was building a wall. The method that this chap uses is not conventional. The dough is wet and sticky. You need to slap it and fold it for weeks (well for a fair while) before it turns into anything like a loaf. Even I can do it. And trust me that is a feat of nature. So the book would have five stars even six but. I am being a bit harsh because it could do with a running order for the basic bread, it is a bit confusing. There are a few other little niggles like flour your board but don't flour it because this adds too much to the loaf sort of thing. The kindle pictures are rubbish as always and there is not such a good description about how to knead. One big plus of this book over others though is that it is passionate, the basic bread recipe does work and it is easy going in style so I have come to realize just do it. Have a go. This book can't be all bad because for the first time ever I ate a loaf I baked. And husband asked for another one and as far as I can see no one in the neighborhood is building anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent easy to read and understand!, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
I have baked bread before by hand and machine but using James' recipes is a totally different thing. Easier than any other recipes I have used and everything explained so well, and the results are fantastic. I don't think I have actually sat and read the theory of baking anything before, but this is really interesting. I always thought you needed a warm place for proving and had to knead for ages, but in fact you don't. all you need is time. I am working my way through and can't wait to get to sourdough, there is a whole chapter of recipes for that. Throw out your breadmaker and buy this book, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kneading Away, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoy making bread and have been pleased with the results if some of the recipes. Most of all I am so pleased that I have now managed to keep my sourdough starter for three months and have produced some edible loaves. There are lots of nuggets of information in the book which are really helpful if you want to make good bread and I like James's approach which fits bread making in with everything else in his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bread, 20 Feb 2014
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
I brought this because I’m always on the lookout for good bread books. Being in NZ I have not seen the Bake-Off series that James was on, but reading excerpts from his book it seemed like a really good book to get hold of. Now that I’ve got it, I’m really thrilled with my purchase. Being a relatively experienced bread maker, I’ve dived into making a sourdough starter and have now made a loaf of white bread from the starter, as well as ciabatta and English muffins. Very successful and tasty.

James has written his book in such a way that it is an enjoyable read, as well as being a very useful recipe book. His love for bread making in all shapes and forms is evident, and comes across well in his chatty yet extremely informative style of writing. I’ve got my sourdough starter burping away happily in a corner of the kitchen, and am very excited about making some more wonderful bread recipes from this book. Definitely recommended, and I’ve now brought another copy for my mother, who is a highly experienced bread home baker and also thought this book was definitely worth having. This book offers more than just a recipe for making a loaf of white bread – there’s all sorts of yummy things to make in here, and I’m looking forward to trying them all.

If you have some experience with bread making you can dive into the book from any starting point. If you are a beginner, I would recommend starting at the beginning of the book, reading it carefully and digesting (!) the information offered, then moving through the straightforward breads before moving on to the more advanced recipes. But most importantly, have fun. Bread making is very theurapetic, creative and highly satisfying. If it doesn’t turn out quite how you anticipated the first time, there’s a 99 percent chance it will still be extremely delicious. And just try again! It’s all good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum yum yum, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
Great book very straight forward with lots of good tips...... Thoroughly recommend this splendid book fae wir peerie Shetland boy

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Brilliant Bread
Brilliant Bread by James Morton (Hardcover - 29 Aug 2013)
9.00