5.0 out of 5 stars Good source of inspiration
Published 4 months ago by S.

Published 1 month ago by CarefulandGreen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good source of inspiration, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever (Paperback)
Bought the Kindle version of this book having read and enjoyed extracts from the book in the national press. Decided if I'm to follow her advice then it would be preferable to purchase the electronic version rather than a hard copy that I will at some point have to 'discard'! The book is very readable and I soon read it. The author writes in a style such that inspires you to pick the book back up and read on, which must be quite an accomplishment for what could be considered a tedious subject.
As a lifelong hoarder, I feel the time has come to get my house in order and reduce clutter once and for all (I have previously dabbled here and there, got overwhelmed by the task and given up). Kondo makes some very valid observations and I found myself identifying with traits of her many clients that she mentions along the way. In a nutshell, the crux of her theory is that most of us harbour far too many possessions, far more than we need, therefore we should only keep items that 'bring joy'. Her advice is to discard anything that doesn't bring joy. I agree, however throwing everything into landfill does not sit well with my conscience, so having started to tackle clothes (as she suggests), I have created 'charity shop' and 'clothes bank' piles. To be fair she does not state how we should get rid, she merely says 'discard' (lots!). I was unable to follow her instruction that says gather up everything in a certain category (eg clothes) and place in a pile on the floor and go through item by item deciding what brings you joy. Being a hoarder, there is no space on the floor to do this! I've had to do it by location (drawers, wardrobe etc) which she says not to do but I found her suggestion of asking 'does this bring joy' still worked. Her ideas are a little rigid, she could encourage her readers to adapt her method to suit rather than imply that it has to be followed to the letter. She also talks of folding clothes a certain way, a diagram would have been useful as I wasn't quite sure whether I got this right or not. Regardless, there is more space in my drawers and wardrobe than ever before, I'm winning the battle at last!
Kondo discusses the link between clutter and our emotions, need to hold onto the past, fear of letting go etc. She suggests positive ways of thinking to help overcome this, which I found inspiring and useful.
Overall a very inspirational read. Some people may find some of her ideas slightly 'cranky' so my advice is read, enjoy, be inspired, put into practise but don't worry if you can't put her theory into practise to the letter. Although this is based on her work in Japan, most of it can be applied anywhere. I have given it 5 stars as any book that inspires hoarders like me to get a grip and get tidying has to be a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky but does seem to work!, 7 July 2014
I found Ms Kondo's writing style and suggestions quite different to the mainly American decluttering books I have been reading recently but maybe because her methods are different and therefore fresh to my eyes they seemed to strike a chord. All fired up I started, as she suggests, with clothing and, this Saturday, sweating and breathless after going up and down the stairs about 10 times to ensure every garment I owned spread around the house was in one place prior to the clear out, and having emptied my entire wardrobe on the bed to boot, I looked at the huge mountain of clothes/mess I had made in my cluttered bedroom with pride. A couple of hours later not having touched said pile I was starting to feel a bit concerned. Family members went past giving me pitying looks and offers of boxes to put everything in so I would have a bed to sleep in later. I procrastinated a few more hours, even curling up on the end of the bed in the one clear space to have a snooze and build up to it ; ) but by mid afternoon I knew I had to start and that was when the strange thing happened. Actually looking at the clothes in a different space and picking up each one and holding them in my hands as Ms Kondo suggests, I was able to distinguish possibly for the first time between what I wanted to keep and what could go without any of the normal guilt/uncertainty. The next hour flew by and I ended up with seven bin bags of excess clothing which I took down to the local Salvation Army collection point (Ms Kondo doesn't mention what you do with discarded clothing and so some people seem to assume that means it goes in the rubbish, but I would think most would just donate good clothing to charity rather than the bin). I then looked at the remaining small pile and started to put it away and it was bizarre. Every thing that was left that was meant for the wardrobe fitted perfectly and my t-shirts, having double checked the folding method on YouTube to visualise it better, all fit in just one drawer rather than the three I thought they would need and looked wonderful! Just opening my wardrobe brings me joy (which I know may sound a little cheesy) but knowing that everything in it fits and is in order makes the world of difference in the morning.

I know for me, clothing was the easy thing and other people may have a stronger attachment to what they wear, I also know I have a long way to go with the rest of my stuff. But having seen such wonderful results in the space of one day I will definitely be sticking with the method for a little longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 7 Jun 2014
I read this from cover to cover in less than 24 hours, while away from home so I was itching to put the ideas into practice. I had a tidy handbag as a result!

Firstly, the folding is pure genius. It saves so much space, you can see what you have/need instantly (and I have found myself lovingly stroking the fabric because all lined up they look so pretty!) - I can see how this affects mood, the care of clothes (as you are spending time folding them properly, you can see any pilling, holes,tears, etc) and general organisation. Having got my clothes sorted (which took less than 2 hours) then I cracked on with books and DVD's. So far, so brilliant. I've done one trip to the Charity shop, have another ready to go, items for ebay and can't wait to finish.

I like that it's not prescriptive - Marie just says 'discard'. None of this 'three box' or Softly Softly approach. xI like that there are no navel gazing pap-psychology sections. Do it, do it now and feel better.

I initially had misgivings at the 'does this bring me joy' principle, thinking of joy as happiness, but I realise that Bringing Joy also means fulfilling its purpose. My cheese grater doesn't make me leap with happiness, but having recently used one I don't like, I realise mine is simple, effective, purposeful and does bring 'joy'! My watch, while not pretty, brings me joy. So, I am looking at things anew - and this book is definitely remaining on the 'it brings me joy' pile :-)

Thank you Marie.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tidy home is a tidy mind, 9 April 2014
I loved this book. As a self confessed tidying geek I've enjoyed a weekend of sorting, tidying and throwing away following Marie's advice. It is very Japanese, I'm not sure I'll adopt her advice to empty out my handbag every evening and thank each item for the job it's done for me that day! However, her advice to ask yourself if each item gives you 'joy' to have or use has helped me discard a lot of things - especially clothes - without feeling guilty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 8 July 2014
Fantastic book - simple techniques but very effective. Some of the narrative is quite over the top - thanking a pair of socks for the work they have done today etc but that aside this is a great book. Storing folded clothes on their side rather than on top of each other and getting rid of things which don't bring joy are the 2 stand outs for me. Thoroughly recommend this book

4.0 out of 5 stars A "mindfulness" approach to tidying. And fascinating insight into parts of Japanese culture, 16 April 2014
Read about Marie Kondo in the newspaper and ordered this book right away: it arrived the next day with Amazon Prime! Marie herself would approve: she talks at length about reading books at the moment you get them and they inspire you. And discarding if you don't. And that's the crux of the book- mindfulness and appreciating the moment and applying that to tidy ness.

The book is cute: having seen a photo of the young author I could just imagine her emptying her handbag every night and "thanking" it. It's a real insight into a different cultural approach to our belongings. Although it's very focused on Japanese living- small spaces, a particular kind of cupboard- it's applicable to anyone whatever their space constraint.
I lined the cross between self help and how to.... I'm a woman but she deals with both genders habits well.

At one point I'd wished for photos or a video but I think this would distract from the books essence. I liked that it wasn't a celebrity or based on any tv shows where they makeover people (although I love those shows!)

As others have said, Marie doesn't say what to do with these things eg charity shop or homeless or eBay- although maybe that's not very Japanese? My mother and I followed the book : my mum got impatient that I didn't sort my photos first but focused on everything else, and I got annoyed that she (my mother) didn't want to organise a table-top sale of unwanted items for charity. She dud more sort g whereas I tried discarding. It's not easy though!

But as with everything you take away what you want from the book. The clothes part was excellent. And having a designated spot for everything is really good advice. I loved the way it was written easy font and length and the author's chatty style.

Okay, I'm off to empty my handbag and change into my loungewear. Thank you Marie for inspiring me (although I won't discard your book, I'll lend it out. Is that allowed?!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tidy once and for all - hearts, mind and practial stuff that works, 22 Aug 2014
So, I'm about to relocate from the UK to the USA and I was in search of a method of tidying and sorting before I leave just so I can pack up in an orderly fashion and not take any crap with me. This book makes sooo much sense. OK I haven't completely actioned it .. yet ..but I will. I just thought I would test the concept and tidy my undies draw and ... amazing .. the sense of utter contentment, peace of mind and satisfaction that comes from opening a drawer and seeing a neat row of knickers sorted in a completely logical colour co-ordinated uniform fashion ... followed by my budget Primark vests all beautifully stacked in a row ... giving them a presence that says more about me and less about guilt purchase Primark cheapies - respect for the people who sweat to make them. What's even more strange is the sudden respect you feel for stuff you have bought with your hard earned cash, and actually the feeling of "less is more" that comes with the act of physically engaging with material things. It does help you get rid of crap, and helps you avoid buying for the sake of it, but be prepared for the sense of OMG how much money have I wasted on stuff that I really have never worn once ...

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, and it's so true and simple, 25 July 2014
Very clear, easily understandable, easily approachable, well written book about how to tidy properly - once and for all. The steps of the process are written very clearly, and although the writer shares her own life story of tidying, organizing and de-cluttering, the book never becomes too annecdotal. Everything is super easy to understand, and you just wanna jump off your couch and start doing everything she writes immediately.
English is my second language, but I read the book in one sitting because of the enthusiastic and encouraging tone of the book.

Highly recomendable!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book and it really works, 9 July 2014
I love this book and it really works. I feel lighter, happier and more optimistic than I have in years. I finally realised my untidyness is/was a reason to hide from life and adventures. Kondo has helped me clear away fear as well as junk. Thank you to a wonderful author.

3.0 out of 5 stars her whole life seems to have been inspired by tidying [for that read ruthlessly clearing] in the best way she could, 19 July 2014
Actually, the author sounds weird... her whole life seems to have been inspired by tidying [for that read ruthlessly clearing] in the best way she could... even secretly going into the rooms of members of her family and 'tidying' (i.e. sorting and clearing out for them without their permission!) If there is a reference to recycling or arranging reuse, I didn't find it.

But as so often, it is those people who are most extreme who discover new aspects of a subject... I personally think the book by Sheila Chandra is much, much more useful, and is in a British context too. Kondo's obsession, however, has led her to some very radical ideas (not for all, certainly - it seems most Japanese people live in very small spaces and so are prepared to guard them diligently against unnecessary objects - this is a best seller in Japan). Some of her ideas are excellent - in particular, ensuring that you have ALL the items that you own in any given category before you begin to sort and decide which to keep.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›