5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the other 5:2 diet
I bought the book and the cookbook as well. I'm glad I bought the cookbook because if I relied on just reading the diet book It would have been delegated to the shelf where diet books die slowly.
Published 15 months ago by Mrs. S. A. Cartwright

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good recipes but could do with more pictures
Have bought this book to go with the diet book which looks good but complicated. I like the look of some of the recipes however was hoping it would have more photos like a modern cookery book. A must I would say if you are doing the diet but could be better.
Published 2 months ago by Mr A A Cookson

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the other 5:2 diet, 27 April 2013
This review is from: The 2-Day Diet Cookbook (Paperback)
The cookbook is straightforward, has great recipes for all meals of the day. There are several tables that will tell you how much calories you can eat on restricted and unrestricted days. Far more flexible than the Michael Mosely 5:2 diet which I nearly fainted on.
The cookbook caters for vegetarians and gives realistic quantities depending on your gender and weight.
I've done 3 days so far, 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted and I've lost 3 lbs. and I didn't pass out on my restricted day. I am following the 3 week menu given in the book. The meals are varied, tasty and easy. Some recipes I just don't like and I've swapped those with others but still sticking to my servings of proteins , carbs and fats.
This eating plan does take some planning on advance. I'm using an iPhone App to plan my food for the week.
I personally find this eating plan far easier to stick to than the Michael Mosely diet.
I have a lot of weight to lose so I was looking for something that I could follow and wasn't faddish for a long time. I believe this is it. My family have not noticed that I am eating differently because they get the same food but with more carbs added.
I would strongly recommend the diet cookbook but not the diet book itself.
Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully produced cookbook to accompany a revolutionary - but somewhat complicated - diet, 26 April 2013
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The 2-Day Diet Cookbook (Paperback)
I've been following a 5:2 dietary regime for about 6 months, ever since watching a Horizon programme by a Dr Michael Moseley, see also The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer, who, after looking at a number of intermittent fasting diets, some of them pretty extreme, advocated a very simply approach based on restricting your diet to just 600 kilocalories (500 for women) for two days per week. It was only recently, however, that I came across Dr Michelle Harvie and Prof Tony Howell's variation on that theme, and - since my weight loss had rather stagnated - decided to adopt their approach.

The "2 Day Diet" approach is very much more technical - restricting calories is less important than avoiding carbohydrates and favouring proteins on the two dieting - or in their parlance, "restricted" - days. Moreover, while Mosely's approach was literally "eat what you like" on the other 5 days, Harvie and Howell do impose a regime of following a "Mediterranean" diet. It's fair to say that this approach makes old fashioned calorie counting look simple in comparison - their system involves a requirement to have a certain number of portions of carbs, protein, fat, dairy, vegetables and fruit each day. The bonus is that the calorie count is much less restrictive, and they say that there's no need to miss a meal. As I've been skipping dinner on my two fasting days, that sounds an attractive option. The complexity of the approach is not such a problem if you can simply choose the appropriate recipes, but having bought their original book The 2-Day Diet: Diet Two Days a Week. Eat Normally for Five.for my Kindle, I realised very quickly that an ebook is not a good way to have a recipe book - tables are hard to read, and nothing beats a bookmark or post-it note to identify the page you're working to. Accordingly, I ordered this cookbook in advance, and today it was waiting for me when I got home.

Just six pages are spent summarising the principles of the 2 Day Diet, which is fine by me - the original book had to establish the research credentials of the method, and a great deal of space was devoted to "FAQs", some of which seemed a bit repetitive. Harvie and Howell both became involved in this work researching ways to prevent cancers - primarily breast cancer - and the proceeds of this book, like the last, go to Genesis Breast Cancer Prevention. There are then 76 pages devoted to restricted day diets, just under 50 to unrestricted days - 43 and 22 recipes respectively - and then a dozen pages are devoted to a summary of nutritional information, information on serving sizes, ready-reckoners and meal planners.

Most recipes are designed to serve four, but there are some single person ones too.

The book is a good size - 9.5 inches high by 7.5 inches wide - printed on full colour semi-gloss paper with excellent photographs of almost all of the recipes. The semi-gloss is fine by me - it allows notes to be made on the paper, even in ink, although pencil is probably better as ink will take a minute to dry, and I find that essential in recipe books. (My mother doesn't approve, I should point out!) The text is well spaced out so it's easy to read. All in all it's a beautifully produced book as well as having great content, and I'm looking forward to getting it splattered with ingredients as of tomorrow evening!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 2 May 2013
This review is from: The 2-Day Diet Cookbook (Paperback)
The recipes are all easy to follow and everything we've tried has been delicious. I have lost 4 kilos so far and it feels like I'm not even trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fool, 26 July 2013
This review is from: The 2-Day Diet Cookbook (Paperback)
This book carries on superbly from the 2 day diet with wonderful recipes to help you maintain your diet and reach your goal

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for the Kindle, 10 Jun 2013
and very pleased I did as I can keep track of what I am doing on any of my Kindle apps.. beats carrying the book around with me all the time

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: The 2-Day Diet Cookbook (Paperback)
very good recipes my friend bought mine so just ordered another one. would recommend it even if you want a good recipe book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: The 2-Day Diet Cookbook (Paperback)
Buy it,cause it works,I only needed to lose those stubborn 3kilos I gained over the winter and I lost them in only 10 days.
It's easy and the receipe are really tasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weight disappears following this book with delicious and quick recipes, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: The 2-Day Diet Cookbook (Paperback)
I bought this book ten months ago and have been following the basic premise of two days being strict (but not as strict as 600 calories a day - more 1000). I lose 1 kg each time I try it out, and then stabilise that new weight for the following days by being sensible. My family can have the same food but with lots of filling potatoes,bread, rice or pasta, etc, so they don't even notice eating 'diet' food. The average main course is ready within 30 minutes and a lot are even quicker. One of our favourites is the stuffed tarragon chicken but I usually don't have any tarragon and use whichever low fat cream cheese is on offer at the supermarket, often with either garlic and chives already added. The other favourite is the Turkey Burgers made with lean minced turkey with spring onions, harissa paste, coriander and mint. The harissa jar will last for three outings of this recipe for 4 .You can adapt the accompanying vegetables for all the recipes to whatever is in season which will not make it as expensive as slavishly having ingredients like asparagus out of season. I feel healthier, have been steadily losing weight and find this book a huge help. Over the ten months, I've lost over a stone and don't feel I'm depriving myself by eating this delicious food. Highly recommend it, especially if you find the 500-600 calorie 2 day diet hard to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 May 2014
This review is from: The 2-Day Diet Cookbook (Paperback)
Quick, easy read that provides a good overview of this diet. A good introduction and I found it very helpful and suits everyone in the family.
I have been following the 3 week menu given in the book. Meals are varied to cater the family. So far everyone has enjoyed the meals. I cook the same for everyone but add extra for the other to suit them. I've been on this for a month. I've lost weight. Eating 1000 calories for 2 day together makes it easier to plan meals for the week.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good recipes but could do with more pictures, 8 May 2014

The 2-Day Diet Cookbook
The 2-Day Diet Cookbook by Professor Tony Howell (Paperback - 25 April 2013)
7.00