Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 November 2013
Much more of a manifesto than a radical how to guide than 37signals previous books, I was a bit disappointed. As a remote worker myself, I didn't find much that was new and/or didn't fit into the common sense category. I guess that's reassuring in a way and perhaps this is a topic for which there's not much to say.

If you are an aspiring remote worker, or a manager of an aspiring remote worker, this is well worth picking up as a quick 101 guide although you could probably work out most of it yourself. I'd also say that the recommendations of software/services are unlikely to satisfy bosses at anything other than small enterprises (document sharing, for example = Dropbox/SkyDrive or Google Docs).

Already a remote worker? There's not much to see here unfortunately - but it's an engaging read.
on 21 July 2014
When I was hired for a role that required me to work from home I was concerned about coping with such a change and so turned to the internet for advice. This book was recommended to me a few times and so I decided buy it.

It covered the subject of remote working very broadly. It covers the subject from both the side of the employee, the manager and the company so only maybe 3 chapters were of much use and those chapters but a few short pages long with most of the advice offered being pretty much common sense rather than anything groundbreaking.

There was also quite a bit of self-promoting trumpet blowing about how amazing the writers company is that was rather off-putting.

It did have a few useful pointers which is why it is getting 3 stars, but I was underwhelmed and disappointed.
on 5 November 2013
- My expectations were set really high (thanks to everything else they have produced)
- It felt a bit like a long moan
- It didn't feel like a book I could return to and dip into (though I will), especially in comparison to REWORK
- It's far from disruptive, and it does feel stale

I liked the book, I love 37Signals, but I was really expecting something better. I hope they write another book, they have a good format and I love their ethos/approach. I'm excited by 37Signals and the impact they are having - and it makes me excited about the way the teams I'm a part of work

It would have been great to see more content on how they work remotely - whereas I actually think Lean UX is a better indication of how to work remotely, and still be productive and collaborative when designing, or planning sprints etc.
on 14 September 2015
I run a tech team within a software business. We operate remotely so thought this book could offer some guidance on best practice etc. Despite the credentials and undoubted experience of the authors, the book seems to amount to a statement of common-sense. It needed to tackle more of the edge cases like how to tackle disciplinary issues in a remote environment. It's valuable only if you really have no clue about remote working and can't even imagine how it should be done. Hence 2 stars only.
on 17 November 2013
I've worked remotely in the past, and in-house more recently, as an employee and manager, so I certainly didn't need convincing that remote work offers a lot of positives for employees and businesses willing to let go of some traditional staples. What I enjoyed most about Remote was how inspired I felt while reading it, I kept thinking "Yes, they GET it." It's not an in-depth instruction manual, nor an overly analytic case study. Rather, I found it a relatively and refreshingly easy read with some solid examples covering key areas of consideration. I went away feeling hopeful, not just about the state of remote working, because as the authors mention, it's not a new fad and it's not going away. No, I went away feeling hopeful about how 37signals talk about their team and talent, how they view the business value of employees being able to live how and where they want, while still contributing to a driven team. Want to travel? No problem, grab your laptop and go. Want to work in the office, sure thing. Afternoons with your children, easy. You don't/shouldn't have to give up what you love in life just to make a living. It's an ethos I really believe in, and I think this book serves as a great positive introduction.
on 31 December 2013
After reading Rework and recognising some real breakthrough ideas in that book, I was eager to hear about remote working.

The book does put the case well for remote working, but don't expect the same 'aha' moments that came with Rework.

The book focuses on this single topic and puts a balanced argument forward for how and when it can be made to work. Its not a 'silver bullet' solution and I can see that applying these ideas in a mid/large size organization will need significant effort and determination - and needs to be weighed up against the other day to day challenges that face everyone in a 'normal' office.
on 22 April 2016
I loved this book! I've worked remotely before as a freelancer but most of my clients still insist I commute to their office. I didn't have the arguments to counter this attitude until I read this book.

Now, armed with great observations, case studies and arguments on why we really are in an office every day and how working away from it can work, I can be more persuasive when talking to new clients.

Their opening statement about the office not being the place people say they go to work is spot on. Commuting is a drag, it's miserable and it's only going to get worse. Remote working is the way forward.
on 24 December 2013
By complete fluke I came across a video of Jason Fried and have been since hooked on his finding out more about his collaborative products at 37signals and it's work culture.

Great book for this insight.

I work for a large multinational in a global IT solution delivery role and when I compare the tools we use for collaborating on our global projects to what is out there in the market and explained here I can see incredible opportunities to speed up our solution life cycle and implementations. Better tools and 2013 thinking (not 1913) can radically change this.
on 29 December 2013
I had high hopes for this book but it read like one long pitch for basecamp. If you are currently an employee then get this book as a present for your boss
on 2 December 2013
We have been considering a move to some form of remote working for a while, and despite being a bit of a book-long promo for 37Signals and their Basecamp product, it is nonetheless a very useful book. It addresses all of the questions that you will certainly have in a simple and straightforward way, and although it is obviously written from a very 'pro' remote working standpoint, it doesn't shy away from the real concerns and offers a positive vision of a different (and better?) way of working in the future!