Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 December 2013
Brilliantly written book that delves into the downward spiral events of Hannah through the eyes of those close to her. An insightful glimpse into the varying layers of desperation within the dark and complex subject of alcoholism and the ripple effect it has on others. Hannah grows in age throughout the chapters seamlessly, whilst maintaining the essence of vulnerability from her early years. Gritty and honest, with an undertone of hope. I would definitely recommend to all to buy the book. But don't drink it all at once...
on 13 October 2013
I've read most of Alistair Campbell's novels and always found them an excellent read. 'My Name Is' didn't disappoint and I couldn't put it down once I'd started the book. Yes it's a story about a young girl and her addiction and struggle with alcohol and as such educates the reader about the condition and also the way our society enables the addict. However it is also a very good story with excellent characterisation and as I said a very good read. Can't wait for your next novel Alistair...
on 26 October 2013
A strangely compelling read despite some obvious drawbacks. The multiple narrator technique (used masterfully by Anita Shreve in `Testimony') does not work here because all the characters use the same register, often the same words and phrases. Thus, a teenage girl expresses herself in the same language as her prim English teacher, an affluent barrister and a successful TV producer etc. In addition, I found the characters clichéd, social stereotypes: we have the chirpy cleaner, the good-hearted nurse, the philandering husband, the angelic younger sister etc.etc. They don't so much tell their story as nudge along the storyline Kennedy has created. I'm afraid for me the novel lacks authenticity and for that reason I've given it 2 stars.
on 5 October 2013
Well. Where do I start? This book is one of those reads that takes you away in to a world that a lot of people will recognise. The way that every character tells their own story about Hannah, is seamless. A truly moving story about a young girl who becomes very dependant on alcohol, and the effects it has on herself, and all her friends and family, plus other people. My favourite book this year...and I have read a few. Respect, Alastair.
on 5 January 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book; the first I've read of Alastair's, but won't be the last. As a `fobw' I don't always concur with his observations on alcoholism/addiction and the nuances. But, as `our' Big Book says, I have learned never to be guilty of `contempt prior to investigation'.

I did find it interesting how Alastair conveyed his personal doctrines through the myriad of characters he'd created.
on 5 May 2014
I did not expect this book to be quite so good, written as it is, by one from another walk of life. Found it strongly compassionate without being at all sentimental. The multi approach using different voices on the central situation worked very well indeed. Thoughtful and recognisably convincing to anyone experienced in the field of addiction....some useful perspectives. Thoroughly recommend.
on 17 September 2013
Read this book after seeing Alastair Campbell being interviewed on t.v. The book sounded perfect to be one of our book club reads. This book does not disappoint. It draws you in with all the different characters relating their story about Hannah, the teenage alcoholic. I could not put this book down, definitely the best book I have read in a long time.
on 11 January 2014
Didn't want the book to end, enjoyed it so much. I identified with so much of what was written and know others have done too. Very clever to have each chapter written from a different persons point of view. As anyone who has encountered the problem of addiction knows it has a massive impact on the lives of all involved, not just the sufferer.
on 9 January 2014
As other reviewers have said, the subject of alcoholism in teenage girls deserves to be aired. It's just a pity that Alastair Campbell's book is so poor I would not recommend it to anyone. Some of the five star reviews have praised the wonderful characterisation in the book. This made me wonder firstly, "Did they read the same book as me?" and secondly, "What else are they reading that this book is an example of good characterisation?"
Each chapter is churned out like a ghost written magazine article...."MY SISTER'S BATTLE WITH ALCOHOLISM.... and how it affected us." "MY DAUGHTER NEARLY DIED DUE TO DEMON DRINK.... and how it affected us." etc. etc. That style of writing might be bearable for a three page magazine article but page after page, chapter after chapter in a novel it just served to raise my annoyance level. The chapter "written" by Sheila the magistrate, with her lapses into le franglais, is particularly nauseating.
The way the author has shoehorned in a reference to each character's own reliance on drink is also cliched beyond belief. I may be missing something but I could not work out why Hannah turned to drink in the first place. Very little development of the relationship between Hannah and her mother.
Being a glutton for punishment I then read each and every one of the published Amazon reviews (most of which are 5 star I have to admit). Many of them appear to me as though they have been written by the same person. If that is the case then I can take some comfort that the five star rating has been engineered by some spin doctor and doesn't truly reflect the public's opinion of the book. In any case I am totally pi**ed-off at having paid £4.99 for the Kindle version of this.
on 11 November 2013
This is a really amazing book, should be read as soon as possible. It's certainly not a barrel of laughs, but is very cleverly told, demonstrating how alcoholism doesn't affect just the alcoholic.
Someone should definitely buy the dramatization rights to this, it would make compelling tv.
Good job Mr Campbell.