5.0 out of 5 stars First time download to iPad kindle
Very quick and easy to download , even for a new by like me.
I did enjoy the book although quite dark in places. Not a lot of laughs but a good I insight into why some turn to drink etc.
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm really reluctant to criticise this....
Published 18 months ago by Montpellier

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm really reluctant to criticise this...., 12 Dec. 2013
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
as I'm quite a fan of Alastair Campbell and have hugely enjoyed his diaries. This is such a didactic piece of writing, I'm not sure it qualifies as a novel. This is not to say these issues do not need airing, just that it reads as such a thinly disguised personal account and the character of Hannah is so inauthentic. Even a bright teenager does not talk or write like this! I like the idea of presenting a situation in the round by tapping into a number of participants' stories; it's just that there is is insufficient difference between their presentation - or register - to ring true.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time download to iPad kindle, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
Very quick and easy to download , even for a new by like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and hard hitting, a real page turner, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: My Name Is... (Paperback)
A cleverly written story told from many peoples perspectives about Hannah Maynard, who suffers from alcoholism. As the story progresses you find yourself really feeling for Hannah and the situation she finds herself in. I couldn't put the book down and really wanted to know how it all turned out in the end. What struck me whilst reading the book, is how hard it must be for someone suffering from alcoholism in today's society, much of which is geared around the ready supply of it. The day to day fight to resist the urge and succumb to the needs must be so hard, and I couldn't help feeling as I read the book how much more support is needed. I have been a big fan of Alastair Campbell's previous books, they tackle proper issues in a powerful way that keeps you wanting to read more and this book delivers the same, a must read in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRULY RIVETING READ, 27 April 2014
This review is from: My Name Is... (Paperback)
This was an excellent read. Written by Alistair Campbell a recovering alcoholic, though I have read he is drinking in a controlled manner again. The story is written from several different perspectives by the people who come into contact with her, and therefore can tell the continuing story from a different viewpoint. The story is probably an all too familiar story, and I though the comparison between Trixie's journey to Fairburn Court, and Hannah's particularly poignant, also the very thin line between alcoholism and social drinking as illustrated by Mr Harper on his arrival home for his usual G and T.
This is the third novel I have read by Alistair Campbell,I have yet to read his diaries, but so far for me he achieved 66.3% success rate. A book to read, enjoy and contemplate.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Name is Hannah. I'm An Alcoholic., 15 Sept. 2013
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
Alastair Campbell writes from life's experiences. This is a biting and fascinating account of an intelligent and attractive teenager thrust into the pits of alcoholism. Cleverly narrated through family, friends, counsellors and solicitors, Campbell builds up the layers of the multi-faceted decline of Hannah into her own world that affects herself and the many people who care. She takes her first drink when 12 and is 'seriously drunk' at 14. The author expertly narrates her descent into alcohol revealing, 'Drink, and why I do it, what it does to me, what it does to my friends when I'm doing it'. Her story is not one of a pitiless state nor remorse, more of the circumstances of an unsettled family background with a genetic influence that have eroded Hannah's talents, education and swimming with morals that fall by the wayside. Hannah is aware, unless intoxicated, of her state.

This is a vulnerable girl who has support and sympathy from those who know her and care whilst her life is thrown into the depths of the inevitable hazards that befall her. The chapter involving her interview with Q.C Julian is a mastery of a conversation concerning alcoholism.

Alastair Campbell has written a superb novel of the ease and slide that a young, talented, likeable girl can slip into addiction. It is not written in a judgemental way. It is just written in an accomplished style that the reader can understand and relate to. No doubt it will be relevant to an older generation with eyes open. An excellent and hard-hitting story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of writing, 9 Dec. 2014
gfkw (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant piece of writing. Imaginative use of many characters in the story so it is understood from a number of aspects. The fact that AC has personal experience shows through and adds to the authenticity of the writing. I'm pleased he did not try to make it partisan - as we all know politicians on all sides are very reluctant to overtly attack the alcohol industry. Not only is it very powerful internationally but it helps to finance governments everywhere through taxation. It is clear though that the industry should take a more responsible lead in preventing the disease of alcoholism - with encouragement by government where they fall short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Jan. 2014
This review is from: My Name Is... (Paperback)
I read "My Name Is" in two sittings and found myself completely absorbed in what is an uncomfortably frank account of a teenager's descent into alcoholism - told by
those closest to her. It's raw it's heart breaking and most of all it brings home to us just how devastating alcohol can be and how it can wreck relationships and tear a family apart. Alcohol is alluring but its tentacles drag us deeper and deeper into despair. This very well written book engaged me from the very beginning and I recommend it highly to anyone who wants to gain a deeper insight into alcoholism and its impact on us all.My Name Is...

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully human novel, heartbreaking and entertaining, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: My Name Is... (Hardcover)
The novel takes the slightly unusual structure of telling Hannah's story through the eyes of those around her, I was sceptical at first but it's a device that works extremely well in this case. As with the author's previous novels the characters are well drawn, realistic and whilst some of the language made me squirm it was what I would expect the character to say.

The novel draws the reader in from the influence of Hannah's parents through her seemingly endless promises to change. You feel the frustration of those around Hannah, but can't help wanting to reach out to her. It's a story which truly sees the full picture of the effect of alcohol on society.

Campbell has become a truly accomplished novelist with "My Name Is", his writing is wonderfully descriptive and there are some very entertaining moments in what could have been a very dark morbid tale.

It's a wonderful snapshot of humanity, leaving you looking at your nightly "tipple" in a very different light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: My Name Is... (Hardcover)
Brilliantly written book that delves into the downward spiral events of Hannah through the eyes of those close to her. An insightful glimpse into the varying layers of desperation within the dark and complex subject of alcoholism and the ripple effect it has on others. Hannah grows in age throughout the chapters seamlessly, whilst maintaining the essence of vulnerability from her early years. Gritty and honest, with an undertone of hope. I would definitely recommend to all to buy the book. But don't drink it all at once...

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak characterisation, 26 Oct. 2013
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
A strangely compelling read despite some obvious drawbacks. The multiple narrator technique (used masterfully by Anita Shreve in `Testimony') does not work here because all the characters use the same register, often the same words and phrases. Thus, a teenage girl expresses herself in the same language as her prim English teacher, an affluent barrister and a successful TV producer etc. In addition, I found the characters clichéd, social stereotypes: we have the chirpy cleaner, the good-hearted nurse, the philandering husband, the angelic younger sister etc.etc. They don't so much tell their story as nudge along the storyline Kennedy has created. I'm afraid for me the novel lacks authenticity and for that reason I've given it 2 stars.

My Name Is...
My Name Is... by Alastair Campbell (Hardcover - 12 Sept. 2013)