5.0 out of 5 stars First time download to iPad kindle
Very quick and easy to download , even for a new by like me.
I did enjoy the book although quite dark in places. Not a lot of laughs but a good I insight into why some turn to drink etc.
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm really reluctant to criticise this....
Published 7 months ago by Montpellier

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm really reluctant to criticise this...., 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
as I'm quite a fan of Alastair Campbell and have hugely enjoyed his diaries. This is such a didactic piece of writing, I'm not sure it qualifies as a novel. This is not to say these issues do not need airing, just that it reads as such a thinly disguised personal account and the character of Hannah is so inauthentic. Even a bright teenager does not talk or write like this! I like the idea of presenting a situation in the round by tapping into a number of participants' stories; it's just that there is is insufficient difference between their presentation - or register - to ring true.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time download to iPad kindle, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
Very quick and easy to download , even for a new by like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Name is Hannah. I'm An Alcoholic., 15 Sep 2013
ACB (swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
Alastair Campbell writes from life's experiences. This is a biting and fascinating account of an intelligent and attractive teenager thrust into the pits of alcoholism. Cleverly narrated through family, friends, counsellors and solicitors, Campbell builds up the layers of the multi-faceted decline of Hannah into her own world that affects herself and the many people who care. She takes her first drink when 12 and is 'seriously drunk' at 14. The author expertly narrates her descent into alcohol revealing, 'Drink, and why I do it, what it does to me, what it does to my friends when I'm doing it'. Her story is not one of a pitiless state nor remorse, more of the circumstances of an unsettled family background with a genetic influence that have eroded Hannah's talents, education and swimming with morals that fall by the wayside. Hannah is aware, unless intoxicated, of her state.

This is a vulnerable girl who has support and sympathy from those who know her and care whilst her life is thrown into the depths of the inevitable hazards that befall her. The chapter involving her interview with Q.C Julian is a mastery of a conversation concerning alcoholism.

Alastair Campbell has written a superb novel of the ease and slide that a young, talented, likeable girl can slip into addiction. It is not written in a judgemental way. It is just written in an accomplished style that the reader can understand and relate to. No doubt it will be relevant to an older generation with eyes open. An excellent and hard-hitting story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
Wasn't sure about story at the beginning but once I started found it hard to put down - I so needed to find out if Hannah made it. Excellent stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars a fab book you got to read, 25 Jun 2014
MY NAME IS BY ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
THE BLURB
A drink makes me feel better. For a bit. And then I feel worse, and the pain inside comes back. Worse than ever.

My name is Hannah. This is their story . . .

My name is Kate. I am Hannah's mum.

'If nothing matters more to a parent than their children's health and happiness, how are you supposed to feel, and what are you supposed to do, when they're sick and unhappy?'

My name is Vicki. I am Hannah's little sister.

'Why does she drink so much, when it is making her so ill, doing so much damage to her life? I don't get it.'

My name is Sophie. I am Hannah's best friend.

'I loved her to bits those times when she was chatty and fun and making me laugh or think about the world differently.'

My name is Dan. I was Hannah's mum's first boyfriend after her divorce.

'I tried, I really tried. But there's something wrong with that girl. If I'd have had any idea of what I was letting myself in for, I never would have asked Kate out.'

My name is Amanda. I am Sophie's mother.

'She was like the outsider insider of Sophie's friendship group. I liked her though and being a parent, and a doctor, my instinct was to want to fix whatever it was that reduced her to this mess.'
Powerful and passionate, My Name Is . . . is the gripping story of a teenage girl's descent into alcoholism and the impact it has on those around her. Deft and direct, the voices of Hannah's family, friends and professionals shed a sometimes shocking, sometimes tender light on a life veering terrifyingly off course.
WHAT I SAY
This book it superb it sad , terrifying and uplifting if you like a drink you should read this book it so good
It so sad that a young girl of seventeen need to drink so much i like how each chapter wrote by one person is there testimonies to Hannah they tell you what she was like what they see in her and how she spiral into drink and self harm they tell you just how it was to them it very dark in places it makes such a good read
Hannah was 12 years old when she first drink then at 14 years old she was really hooked on it
She was so good at swimming but her moral fall by the way side to me she was very aware of her state i think she could have been very good at swimming if the drink was not part of her world
The book not written in a judgemental way it written to make you think and understand just what it like you could relate to her story to me it was a eye opener i do not drink yes i do like a glass of wine but that it i hear about now much people can drink this book a very hard hitting story it made me understand a addiction it had some very useful perspectives
I really like what each person felt it was gripping
I felt Hannah was a very nice young girl i felt when her parents broke up this start her needing drink to comfort her
Her sister Vikki was so different she was good a school she never drank i loved her point of view it was very hard hitting you could felt her pain she just want to help and support Hannah she did try
I think Hannah being put into rehab was very good the story of trixles and Hannah at fairburn court was so good it made me see what both young girl think how the drink affects them how they see each other what it like in there it made me see what the girl thought was right or wrong with there way why they did it the
Social drinking and alcoholism it can be very close at times
The friendship they formed was very good but very hard hitting the end was very sad but i like how it made Hannah open up to her mum
The whole book will made you think about other people situations you should not judge people yes people can look ok but you can not see what going on with that person life. The addiction are out there people can be ill you would never know
You can not see how we feel ect
I really would love you all to read this book it one of my favourite so far

About the Author
Alastair Campbell was born in Keighley, Yorkshire in 1957, the son of a vet. After graduating from Cambridge University in modern languages, his first chosen career was journalism, principally with the Mirror Group, a career interrupted in the mid-80s by a nervous breakdown and the diagnosis of a drink problem. Campbell worked his way back to become a political editor and when Tony Blair became leader of the Labour Party, he asked Campbell to be his press secretary. He worked for Blair - first in that capacity, then as official spokesman and director of communications and strategy - from 1994 to 2003, and returned in 2005 to help Labour win a third election. He now splits his time between writing, speaking, consultancy and charity, as chairman of fundraising for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research, and a leading ambassador for the mental health campaign, Time to Change.

He lives in North London with his partner of 33 years, Fiona Millar. They have three children. His interests include running, cycling, bagpipes and Burnley Football Club. He has published five volumes of diaries, including the bestselling The Blair Years, a memoir on depression, The Happy Depressive, a novel about fame, Maya, and his first acclaimed novel about mental illness, All in the Mind.
A GEM OF A BOOK
MY BOOK OF THE WEEK
YOU ALL GOT TO READ IT FAB

4.0 out of 5 stars compelling read, 19 May 2014
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and liked the way it told the story from so many different perspectives. I found myself liking Hannah despite all the terrible things she did. A bit disappointed by the end though would have liked more of a conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highley recommended, 10 May 2014
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put it down.... A captivating, emotional read that I didn't expect from a book where the voice switched by chapter. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprise, 5 May 2014
This review is from: My Name Is... (Hardcover)
I did not expect this book to be quite so good, written as it is, by one from another walk of life. Found it strongly compassionate without being at all sentimental. The multi approach using different voices on the central situation worked very well indeed. Thoughtful and recognisably convincing to anyone experienced in the field of addiction....some useful perspectives. Thoroughly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alcoholism, 5 May 2014
Jennifer Kerr - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely fascinating book, read it in 2 days, anyone who likes to know about addiction should read this.really good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars problems with alcohol, 4 May 2014
This review is from: My Name Is... (Kindle Edition)
A gripping story from different perspectives of how alcohol can affect so many people. good read fron campbell which i read about by chance.

My Name Is...
My Name Is... by Alastair Campbell (Hardcover - 12 Sep 2013)
12.72