4.0 out of 5 stars The Murder at the Vicarage revisited
I didn't expect to like the new Inspector Wexford novel. The Vault was pretty dire - hard to swallow and generally dull. But No Man's Nightingale is a jolly enough tale, compelling if not gripping, with some entertaining characters. I liked Jeremy Legge, proto-sociopath, and there was more than a sprinkling of personality disorders kicking around.

Ruth...
Published 13 months ago by Daniel Sellers

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrongly named major character
Published 1 month ago by Ruth Vanita

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrongly named major character, 1 Aug 2014
Ruth Vanita (Montana, USA) - See all my reviews
Even though I love several of Rendell's books I am getting increasingly irritated by her cavalier use of Indian characters with absolutely wrong names and background details. In this book, the murder victim is called Sarah Hussain and is said to have converted to Christianity from Hinduism, and to hail from Darjeeling. Rendell has done this kind of thing in earlier books too - egregiously misnamed characters, but this one goes a bit too far. Everyone knows or should know that Hussain is a Muslim name. This supposedly Hindu character knows Urdu and Hindi (used interchangeably by Rendell, who doesn't seem to realize that these two languages have different scripts and that very few Hindus read Urdu, so if Sarah did, some explanation would be expected). And, of course, Sarah is so disgusted by the poverty she sees in India (although her grandmother, whose name we fortunately do not know, owns an estate in Darjeeling, that she gets converted by one of the many missionaries who are all over India helping the poor. The book is sanctimoniously scattered with references to racism. The many inaccuracies made this a difficult read for me. Rendell needs to hire an assistant to do some googling on her behalf.No Man's Nightingale: (A Wexford Case)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Murder at the Vicarage revisited, 25 Aug 2013

Ruth Rendell has always been pretty dodgy on race and racism. She's seems at times fixated on it, but somehow always misses the mark. She condescends grotesquely to ethnic minority characters: their colour is their defining feature and they're invariably beautiful, noble, elegant and exotic. She means well, I'm sure of it, but it's painful. Having said that, this book is by no means the worst example of this inverted racism (Not in the Flesh is the worst for that I think).

I'm so fond of Wexford, though. I've grown up with him. I would love to drink sherry with him and Dora. I'll forgive a lot where he's concerned. I'll forgive, for instance, the ludicrous manner in which he becomes part of this investigation; I'll forgive his "hunches" - always a cop out in detective fiction.

A few typos in the Kindle edition, but nothing major apart from the bizarre copy-editing blooper over the name of the supermarket.

All in all, hang your disbelief at the door and you'll enjoy a decent read.

Three-and-three-quarters stars ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Time for Wexford to retire properly, 12 Aug 2014
Brian Clegg "Brian Clegg" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've always had mixed feelings about Ruth Rendell, and this is a book that highlights her bad points more than her good. One of the problems here is that the main police character, Wexford, has now retired and so has to act as an unpaid sidekick to the endlessly bland Burden, with much agonising about what is and isn't appropriate now that Wexford isn't really a policeman.

The plot seems to be derived primarily to allow for Rendell's usual musings on political correctness from Wexford's viewpoint and is, frankly, highly implausible. There is perhaps a slight easing up on the strangely over-formal, old fashioned viewpoints - Wexford books always read like they were written by someone whose idea of Britain, and particularly spoken English, was taken from a 1950s magazine written for the colonies, but they are still there.

She doesn't even get the facts right. There is much complaining about the terrible way the local vicar has switched to using the 'Alternative Service Book' in place of the Book of Common Prayer. Admittedly this would, indeed, be a cause for complaint, but unfortunately for Rendell, this is because the Alternative Service Book was discarded in favour of Common Worship some 13 years before this book is set - it doesn't say a lot for the research.

The only thing I can say in favour of it is that after bumbling along at a slow pace for 90% of the pages, the last 10% picks up considerably and suddenly becomes interesting (if no more plausible). Perhaps it's time for Wexford to take his retirement seriously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, but......, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: No Man's Nightingale: (A Wexford Case) (Hardcover)
I do believe that I have read everything in print by Ruth Rendell, and have always looked forward to anything new from her. However, I have to say that if this book was my first experience of her writing, her name would be well down the list of "read later" on my local library's website. What helped was my familiarity and liking for Wexford (enhanced by the great job done by actor George Baker in the television series).
As someone else mentioned, this did seem to be somewhat old-fashioned, and could well have taken place forty years ago.
There is one large error that I thought I should mention - Wexford sets out from home on foot through the snow, then on leaving the destination is also on foot (by which time we have arrived at page 196), spots Clarissa and offers her a lift home in his car. I don't know how this got past whoever reads the book before it goes to print, but it added to my not-quite-satisfied feel about the book.
Yes, I will continue to read whatever Ms. Rendell writes, it wouldn't feel right for me not to do so - but I am guessing that my expectation of first-class well-crafted writing may be lowered.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wexford is even more like Horace Rumpole now, 8 Aug 2014
Wexford is even more like Horace Rumpole now, only this time his uninteresting attitudes to modern life are padded out further by large chunks of Gibbon, his blood pressure readings, details of which Handel organ voluntaries he does and doesn't recognise etc. etc. The book thus moves very slowly but maybe it has to given the unbelievably weak motive for the murder. However the author comes up with an even weaker one in the motive attributed to the innocent suspect locked up by Inspector Burden, who, judging by his 'detection' here, has undergone a brain operation which has reduced his IQ to single figures. Maybe the next Rendell will be better (hope so!) but on the strength of this she is roughly where Agatha Christie was with Postern of Fate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Go Into The Good Night, 16 Feb 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This novel is not for the retired. Whatever you do, if you are thinking of retiring, do not read 'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire', even if you have wanted to read it all the live long day. I have no idea why Ruth Rendell continues to write about Retired DCI Reginald Wexford, she does him no favors.

I really need clarification how an ex-detective in the British Police System, can become part of a murder investigation without any credentials. Would it not ring bells for a lawsuit? Yet, we find ex DCI Wexford at the center of a murder investigation. He has been called by the current DCI Michael Burden to visit the scene of the death of a clergy, Rev. Sarah Hussein. Burden, in this novel, does not seem competent. He rushes to judgement, arrests people for murder without much evidence, makes racist judgements, and is quite worried about how he will be seen by the paparazzi. If it were not for Wexford, would any murderers be found? Throughout the investigation it is Wexford who is the clever, skilled investigator. The one with intuition, the one who most people respect and trust. Should he not come out of retirement, or at least become a consultant with credentials?

The most interesting character in this novel is Maxine. She cleans house for several families, three to be exact, all important people in the community. She babysits and is quite a busy woman earning a living. Maxine is quite competent, however, this woman talks non-stop. She is, of course, the Wexford's housecleaner. Wexford is at home most of the time, reading his book, and she talks to and at him all the time. Instead of asking her to go clean elsewhere or to shut up, Wexford listens or half listens and nods off and on. However, the woman let's slip important information that must be brought to Burden's attention . Of course, when she finds out, what Wexford has done, there is H*** to pay.

There are many characters in this novel, too many to make much sense. I think the author is trying to throw us off course at times. She has indeed brought us into the new age. The use of iPods, iPhones, the issues of sexism, racism, women in the Church, modern clothing, rebellion of young people, new age foods and the introduction of new ways of solving murder mysteries. Thus is all jam packed into a novel that has lost its luster. It started out well, but by page 50, it became a slog at times to get through. The final chapter was a sudden finish to the mystery, and it did not feel well done. Should we give a retirement party for DCI Reg Wexford?

Recommend With Qualms. prisrob 02-16-14

2.0 out of 5 stars Not your best RR!, 10 Aug 2014
I like Ruth Rendal's Wexford books. This one disappointed. Wexford has retired but has far too mush involvement with the case run by his old side kick Mike Burden. I know that anyone who has worked, as I have, in a profession regularly portrayed in fiction will scream, 'they wouldn't do that'! OK, authors take liberties with procedures, they have too or the books would never be written. In this book, however, the retired Wexford is invited to sit in on interviews, given access to police reports etc. etc. IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN! Belief is stretched to incredulity. Also, the story portrays Burden as an idiot, idiots do not get promoted to Superintendent. Wexford outwits his former colleague from retirement. Sorry Ruth, this book was a mistake, you've retired Wexford, let him enjoy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Nov 2013
The plot is thin and the characters very unconvincing. I really did not enjoy this book. The many quotes were pretentious and added nothing.

I have enjoyed previous Ruth Rendell books but this is not one of her best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rendell Rising., 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: No Man's Nightingale: (A Wexford Case) (Hardcover)
I have always enjoyed Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford novels and the dynamic between Wexford and his friend and sidekick Mike Burdon. One of the most entertaining aspects of these books for me is the ever evolving lives of Wexford and Burden's families. I was, however, very disappointed in Wexford's last two outings i.e. The Monster in the Box and The Vault (which related back to a much earlier novel, A Sight for Sore Eyes). Therefore it was with some trepidation that I decided to buy the latest Inspector Wexford novel but I was pleasantly surprised. While not quite as good as her earliest efforts, No Man's Nightingale is a return to form for Ms. Rendell.

Briefly, Sarah Hussein, a female vicar of mixed parentage who is also a single mother with a teenage daughter, is discovered strangled in the Vicarage, by garrulous cleaner Maxine Sams who works for both Reg and Dora Wexford and Dr. and Mrs. Crocker; while this might bring to mind Agatha Christie's Murder in the Vicarage, there is little, if any, similarity between the two novels. Wexford is quite recently retired and when his friend Burden, now leading the murder inquiry, asks if he might like to assist with the case as an unpaid adviser, Wexford jumps at the chance. Wexford's love of puzzle-solving and his genuine curiosity about people is a decided advantage as he accompanies official police officers in their investigations.

It is true that Wexford does wattle his "unofficial role" to death in his musings but while irritating, this is probably quite realistic as I would imagine anyone in his situation would realize the precariousness of their position and have the unofficial nature of their brief constantly in mind. I found Maxine's malapropisms less convincing and more annoying as, while I have come across people like Mrs. Malaprop, I found the examples in this novel a bit hard to swallow. For example, "anonimal" letters instead of annonymous letters and "ceasers" for seizures and this from a lady who in practically the same sentence has used the word "contusion" for bruise. I have to say that this did not quite ring true with me.

Yet this is just a minor personal quibble and overall the book is a most enjoyable read as even though I found the ending somewhat disappointing I certainly enjoyed the journey to the denouément and that for me is often the most important element of the reading experience. As one has come to expect with Ms. Rendell, the writing is wonderfully clear and concise and the characterisation tight with the result I savoured every word. As with other Wexford stories I found Reg's reading choice i.e., Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, interesting.

This is not germane to the review of No Man's Nightingale, but my favourite Ruth Rendell novel is a stand alone story which does not feature Wexford and is entitled A Judgement in Stone; this book is a veritable gem written many years ago and the most perfect example of a psychological thriller I have ever read - not a whodunnit but more of a whydunnit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising novel marred by a feeble ending, 3 Sep 2014
I found the first two thirds of the story a gripping read, but then, as with so many other crime novels, the author seems to run out of ideas and has to resort to a facile solution.Not unlike the usual TV whodunnits where the crime is inexplicably solved just before the credits she reaches the denoument not exactly at the very last minute via a "deus ex machina", but almost, by introducing cobbled on secondary characters at a late stage and also through Wexford's implausible deductions. I have to say I'm always wary of any plot involving identical twins!

No Man's Nightingale: (A Wexford Case)
No Man's Nightingale: (A Wexford Case) by Ruth Rendell (Hardcover - 15 Aug 2013)