4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Things that go Tick in the Night
Published 17 days ago by Book Gannet

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for me.
Published 5 months ago by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Things that go Tick in the Night, 1 Dec 2014
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I loved the first book in this series, with its absinthe fairies and intriguingly developed world, so I was more than happy to head back to the struggle between the scientific Light and magical Shadow. However, I did find this book a little hard to get into at the beginning, mostly because of Elle. I don’t remember her being quite so much of a brat. The way she treats Marsh at the start is so childish, she’s all me, me, me, I don’t want to do this, oh, my husband has all the money, oh, what a chore it is to be a viscountess, as if she’s actually given up anything for their marriage, while Marsh gave up everything. Yes, there are underlying issues about how they met and everything that happened in the first book, but Elle got on my nerves so much I very nearly stopped reading.

Which would have been a shame, because there’s so much else going on in this book that’s worth reading about beyond the domestic drama. Clockwork zombies. Really, there’s not much more that needs to be said. A shadowy Consortium is planning to take over the world, and they’re using a powerful Shadow creature, Clothilde, to see it through. Clothilde is old and arrogant and powerful, not to mention utterly without conscience as she goes about her task. The zombies are chilling enough without her hanging around to make things worse. Then Marsh gets involved, and things take an even darker, sadder twist.

What starts out as Elle’s growing pains, soon turns part mystery, part investigation, then becomes a race against time to solve the mystery and save the day. I’ll admit there were some times when I wanted to shout at Elle to do this or that, when she seemed to be moving – and thinking – too slowly, but mostly this is a compelling read, dragging the readers further into this clever world the author has created. The Shadow realm has more than a few secrets, some hints of which are tantalisingly revealed along the way, and it’s clear Elle has a lot yet to learn about her new powers.

In all this is a fast read full of adventure, mystery and promise. Where the first book had a fairly complete ending, this one is much more open, hinting at big and bad things yet to come. I’ll admit some things took me by surprise, while others were more expected, but the one thing I am certain of, however, is that I want to read more.

(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: A Clockwork Heart: Chronicles of Light and Shadow (Chronicles of Light & Shadow 2) (Hardcover)
I loved this book. I enjoyed the first one enormously, but this one had a harder, creepier edge. It will also break your heart, Liesel has found the sense of agony in grief that rings true on the page. The steampunk is blended with fantasy and has rich, complex relationships through it. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars cracking read, 14 Aug 2013
the first book in the series was good but this one is awesome
action packed and fun loved it
cant wait for the next one .

4.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork zombies- enough said, 23 July 2014
Picking up where “A Conspiracy of Alchemists” leaves off,” A clockwork heart” is slightly darker than the previous book but just as delicious. Set in a Steampunk world with magical creatures – some good and some evil. Eleanor’s adventures continue to save her husband and battles clockwork zombies- how cool is that?

Chronicles of Light and Shadow is a great series, that keeps getting better as the books go on. I suggest you read the first book “A Conspiracy of Alchemists” first, this series does need to be read in order so you don’t miss out.

If you are new to Steampunk or just fancy a swashbuckling read, then this series is a great place to start. It isn’t all dirigibles and corsets- it is a fast paced adventure with plenty of intrigue. Eleanor Chance is sassy, clever and kick-ass. She is everything you would expect from Lara Croft in a Steampunk setting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for me., 20 July 2014
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
To be honest for me, this book felt a little flat, the storyline wasn’t really that sure on where it was going and when the reader looks deeper into the overall arc, it felt that a few things were added to bulk the book out rather than something dynamic and to the point. What occurred within was a tale that whilst Steampunk could easily have been any sort of UF type of tale out there which also felt that the reader was being treated with kid gloves almost as if the author had to quickly get it dealt with due to deadlines.

Add to this a lead character that didn’t gel with me, a villain that never really reached full potential and all round I was very disappointed with this offering. A great shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars As exciting and gripping as the first, 26 Sep 2014
The second book in the trilogy was as exciting as the first one. As a reader, I had no problem in picturing this fantastic, unknown world and I felt part of the story as the heroine struggled during her adventures. Again, I had difficulties to put it down and, when I did, I kept thinking about the characters and worrying how it would all turn out. I was very frustrated when it came to an end, so I'm very glad that the third book is already out!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lesson one: don't give up your warlock powers or you might become a whiny hubby, 25 Aug 2013
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Apparently being the Oracle and Pythia does not make you exempt from marrying a chauvinistic and sexist whiny male, who thinks his wife should stay at home and obey him.
I am not feeling the love for Hugh and can't say I am displeased by the outcome of this book.
He knew she would be flying airships and attending to matters of the steampunk supernatural variety.
Did he think she was going to do all that from home barefront and pregnant, whilst commanding the servants on his behalf.
Not enough steam or punk is this steampunk fantasy. It had more of creepy villain feel to it rather than the expected mixture of futuristic technology vs era.
Aside from the occasional blip of creepy it was very dull. The dialogue was flat and unrealistic. Some of the sub-plots were random and didn't connect well to the main story.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.