Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Mange Tout
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£19.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 15 September 2013
Bruno Loubet's new book, Mange Tout, was the inspiration. And a delightful and inspirational collection it is, I have been waiting many years after his last publication (Bistro Bruno cooking from Odean and beforehand Chicken)

The starting point with Bruno is the south west of France well Gascony to be exact like many other great French Chefs.

Coming from within the Bordeaux region, Loubet is absolutely an omnivore.

The south west of France is, after all, the home of duck confit and foie gras. Vegetarianism is not high in the menu.

Although I have been well informed that Bruno's new restaurant (which I hope to visit when I am in Bleighty) gives a much greater prominence to vegetables, and I like Grain as a name or is it to be a brand?

However, back to this book.

It didn't take much of a browse before I saw dishes that I wanted to try.

Mackerel with salted and compressed watermelon and a lime mayonnaise is one that most certainly will be done, to give but a single example.

And then there's lobster with mango - another pairing that you know, instantly, work superbly.

Here are some other great creations: Just great clean & simple pairings

Salmon confit with asparagus, new potatoes and a green gazpacho

Of course, it's enormously seasonal - and seriously worships the produce.

The salmon is confited in olive oil - and works wonderfully - while the new potatoes and asparagus are cooked as you would expect the green gazpacho, which includes avocado, spring onion, green pepper, green chilli, olive oil, basil and mint is a wonderful sauce - and a delightfully fragrant salsa it is too, with just a little kick.

You will require a cook's thermometer to maintain the temperature of the oil - to keep the gauge steady at 50-55˚C, but it would be difficult to completely muck this up.

Bruno concludes the recipe by saying that he garnishes with whatever herbs are available.

Next up rhubarb Clerkenwell mess - which I have actually eaten at Zetters Hotel, Bistrot Bruno Loubet in...? well, err, Clerkenwell.

The mess is made with meringue, a rhubarb jelly and a rhubarb compot, and while the compote is really quite sweet, having been cooked very briskly, with plenty of sugar and also orange juice, the addition of pink grapefruit segments keeps the whole thing very nicely balanced.

When ever I see or hear the words `mange tout' I cannot without thinking of Del Boy's glorious mis-pronounciation in an effort to impress in Only Fools and Horses.

Bruno's new book has serious elements of fusion cookery, (no not that poorly executed mid 90s confusion mix & match kinda stuff) I mean they do not seem to be there for the sake of it.

They're subtle and seriously considered - not just some excuse to combine a random series of ingredients.

On the basis of what I have cooked from the book, the instructions are clear, but you should assume a certain level of knowledge.

Bruno's food is wonderful - and that's exactly why I pre-ordered this book some six months ago, A great advantage from Amazon.

Suffice it to say that Raymond Blanc rates Bruno very highly (He worked Under Him and Also Pierre Koffmann).

I would say that if you buy just one cookery book this year, you won't go far wrong with this one Enjoy
on 16 July 2013
What an exciting cook book! I am gradually working my way through the recipes which are easy to follow with
lovely photography. There is lots of variety throughout and helpful tips from Bruno. My culinary expertise has
definitely gone up a notch! A "must have". Susan Scott Powell
on 15 July 2013
I am so enjoying this book. I have cooked at least three dishes since getting it and I love the the simplicity, easy to follow steps. My favourite is "Bruno's tips" definitely very useful tips. I intend to try out as many dishes as I possibly can. So far all my guests have flicked through the book and think it is awesome how it's written and the photography.
on 1 August 2013
What a delight this book is. I love French food but in recent years there have been very few French cook books that inspired. This is refreshingly so with contemporary dishes, easy to follow recipes and gorgeous photography. I made the sweet soy beef cheeks with mango and herb salad which was a HUGE hit, the Goats cheese and soft greens quiche and the grilled marinated quail with quinoa also worked out really well and were delicious, even if I do say so myself. I'm now actually looking forward to autumn when I can have a go at some of the yummy sounding game recipes.

This is my best cook book I have purchased in the last year or two. I love Ottolenghi's books but I find myself looking at the pictures more than following the recipes as the cost of just the herbs in each, nearly breaks the bank. Bruno Loubet's recipes seem to be a little more attainable without compromising on delicious results.
on 21 August 2015
I lived for a year in Clerkenwell. There are lots of supposedly excellent restaurants in the area but, if you know the difference between food and fashion, they were all cr*p. Especially the HORRIBLY over-rated Modern Pantry. And don't get me started on Hix Oyster and Chop House, nor even the venerated St John. Gawd, there's a restaurant that needs to stop resting on its laurels.

Then Bruno Loubet came back from his sojourn Down Under, opened Bistrot Bruno Loubet in the Zetter hotel, and I had found somewhere worth eating in. I must have gone there a dozen times in six months. If I'd had more money I would have gone there every day. Twice.

This book is wonderful. The recipes are mostly pretty simple, if you know your way round a kitchen - after all, the sub-title is "bistro cooking with a twist". The results are sublime, even if you slightly eff up. I recommend working your way through and cooking every single thing, even the ones that may sound a bit oo-err. The snails, for instance, would convert any escargot-phobe into a true believer.

10/10, would eat again.
on 24 July 2013
There are many fresh ideas in this beautiful book, well enough written and illustrated to keep one engaged and some brilliant dishes that work really well in execution. We particularly like his puddings.
on 15 July 2013
Mange Tout is without exception the most exciting cookbook I've read in years. I can't wait to work my way through it, I don't think ill skip a single page
on 10 June 2013
A good cookbook for modern French bistro fare. It's a bit complicated at times, but a good cook
will enjoy the recipes, which are very diverse and interesting. Loubet's beetroot ravioli is truly spectacular.
on 29 August 2014
Just a perfect food book! Recipes are easy to follow and plenty of healthy ways to cook your veggies. Loubet rules!
on 15 July 2013
I have poured through my copy of Mange Tout and tried several of the recipes. The photography is beautiful, the recipes are easy to follow, and the results are superb. A great reference book to have if you want to wow your friends at your next dinner party. Highly recommended.