Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 December 2012
A very good story. However, I was cross to discover that this book had previously been published under the title "The Rest of Our Lives" by Jeannie Johnson which seems a little crafty as the author is clearly looking for a revival. The upside is that I have now read the sequal called "A Penny for Tomorrow" which carries on the lives of the main characters. No doubt "Lizzie Lane" will publish this story under another name in the future.
on 16 September 2013
I enjoyed this post-war time story about 3 women. I also enjoyed it first time I read it, when it was printed under another title - 'The Rest of Our Lives' by Jeannie Johnson (2002). Don't you just hate it when they do that. Seems to be happening more and more lately.
on 30 October 2014
I absolutely loved this book, the characters really did struggle through the war days and one can only imagine the suffering they went through in the days of war. I only wish there was a sequel cause I really felt for Edna and Colin. What a great author Lizzie Lane is I wish she would do follow ups of her stories that is my only criticism.
on 16 July 2015
I found the first half of the book very hard to get into and boring but the last half was very good and I couldn't put it down. Now waiting for The Coronation Girls so I can what happened a few years later.
on 31 October 2014
This is the first book that I have read by this author, and I loved it, it was a book that you can loose yourself in and think of how your Mother and Grandmother felt during the two world wars that they lived through. I can't wait to read some more, this book was on a par with Ruby Jackson and Linda Page
on 8 January 2014
From the first page of Wartime Brides I became completely engrossed in the lives of the three Wartime Brides, their loves, hates, families and friends.

Lizzie Lane convincingly describes war-torn Bristol after the Second World War without drowning the novel in historical facts. She also captures the mood of the era - for example, housewives fed up with rationing, and powdered egg a substitute for real eggs. Women also fed up with clothes rationing.

I sympathised with poor Edna, whose domineering mother forced her to keep her secret and marry her disabled fiancée.

When kind, fashionable Charlotte went to the train station with her children to welcome her husband, a doctor, home, it soon becomes shockingly obvious that he is not the considerate, gentle man she remembers and yearns for.

As for Polly, mother of her faithless GI boyfriend's child, she is on a quest to find an American or Canadian who will marry her and whisk her and her daughter away to a new life.

The rich tapestry of their lives draw the three women from different backgrounds together throughout the novel. Charlotte, Edna and Polly will remain with me for some time.

I strongly recommend this enjoyable read.
on 4 February 2013
I enjoyed this book and was glad that I was not around at that particular time. I found the subject of white girls being unacceptable in America just the same as the other way round. It also must have been hard for the returning soldiers to settle down again as their wives and children must have changed during their absence. All in all, this is a good book and very informative.
on 16 March 2014
Very enjoyable read, set at the end of WW 2, three friends and how their lives turn out so different, I wanted to pick it up all the time to see what was happening next.
Love it, love it, love it
on 2 July 2013
Good read believable and happy ending for some touched on some parts of the Second World War
That I had not known about
on 16 December 2012
I really liked this book, in part because the three women from totally differing backgrounds are trying to deal with the same problem - how to deal with their men who are just home from the war. The characters are very individual. There are secrets and not everything is as it should be, but who is brave enough to be honest? Is honesty always best? It grabbed me from page one. The author has written sympathetically with a deep understanding of the problems facing both the men and their women when the two worlds come together again. Riveting stuff. Definitely five stars for me.