4.0 out of 5 stars Not a novel, not a book on science, but an atheist manifesto
I gave it 4 rather than the 3 I was going to give it, because the reason I thought it was so-so was because there was little there I hadn't read on Freethinker website.

Published 11 months ago by Matt Westwood

2.0 out of 5 stars An expensive disappointment
After the 1st 20% read on Kindle it is a big disappointment to anyone who has read the 1st three books in the series
Like so many " sequels" (whether films or books) it has run out of Oomph ( particularly quirky acerbic Pratchett comments) compared to he previous 3 in the series.The science is fine but is not blended in with much " discworld" shenanigans
Not...
Published 6 months ago by Dr. I. Cox

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a novel, not a book on science, but an atheist manifesto, 19 May 2013
This review is from: The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day (Hardcover)

Lots of ranting about the stupidity and intolerance of religion, along with an overview of the currently-under-discussion reasons for why supposedly-rational people believe such claptrap and poppycock.

Another blow-by-blow account of Why We Are Here, leavened with what stupid religiots think the answer is.

An interesting digression at the end into why the fine structure constants aren't that fine after all, which (for me) was worth the value of the book itself.

And interleaved like strips of tasty salami between many tedious slices of slimming-bread, we find a Pratchett Discworld novella, detailing how a librarian (appropriately Pratchettianly rationalistic, sensible and unflappable) arrives in Discworld through L-space to witness Vetinaru presiding over a court case as to whether Roundworld should be in the custodianship of Unseen University or the Omnians.

Every book by Pratchett seems like an ever-dwindling sequence of poignant goodbyes, and this is a rather sweet little coda in a world we Discworld fans know and love better than our own.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best science book I've read?, 27 April 2013
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day (Hardcover)
'Science of Discworld' continues to be a slightly misleading name for this series, which is actually about real science using the Discworld as a framework and a metaphor. This fourth book is set around a Discworld court case, in which the Omnian religion is suing the Unseen University for ownership of the Roundworld.

This is one of the best science books I've read. It deals with some of the more controversial topics - the origins of the universe in particular - but in way that doesn't lecture and doesn't condescend. The writers also take the time to examine the current leading theories in a critical manner, unlike most books which can present the flavour of the month as hard and fast fact with only a small nod to future research. Here Cohen and Stewart don't shy away from acknowledging holes in our knowledge, and that only helps to emphasise one of their core messages: that science is all about doubting and testing your ideas.

Like the previous books, the chapters alternate between fiction and fact, and the Discworld story contained the usual wit and charm, although the individual chapters and the story as a whole are all too short. In contrast, the science chapters in several places are too long, and I found my attention drifting.

In combination, a welcome taste of the Discworld universe between the main novels, and an in-depth and fascinating insight into the real world of science and where it might be heading in the next few decades. I thoroughly recommend this as a great read which both educated and entertained.

2.0 out of 5 stars An expensive disappointment, 3 Oct 2013
Dr. I. Cox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Not to say that it is specifically bad - just no longer good enough compared to those earlier in the series
If you are a discworld fanatic , try out the earlier ones in the series first

I have now read through to the end which has simply reinforced my snap judgement.
What is good is the update of the latest scientific thinking of Life , the Universe , and all that jazz . Unfortunately , unlike the original book in 1999 (where the wizards dabbling with magic which leads to the formation of Roundworld - used as a hands off analogy for our universe and scientific comments on it) but what is bad is that in this book there is little of Discworld and constant back references to the earlier 3 books.
Whether tackling the issues of religion(s) , existence of gods , and the impact of religions on human behaviour ( simple belief vs experiment and rational thinking) was a good idea I will leave for others to comment. Certainly the atheists viewpoint is logically expounded as is evolution vs creationism.Likely to be somewhat contentious in the USA

3.0 out of 5 stars An acceptable Ian Stewart book, 28 April 2013
Clive Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day (Hardcover)
I like Ian Stewart as a writer; I've read and enjoyed many of his books on maths and science.

This is another workmanlike effort - not his best, but still a good read.

Except... it's supposed to be a book by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen. And sadly, their voices were almost completely absent.

The first two Science of Discworld books were elegant blends of fact and fiction - alternating chapters of approximately equal length. In this one, the Discworld chapters are incredibly brief. And even then they read like Ian Stewart fiction (compare with Flatterland) with a few Discworld character names and back stories pasted on. Vetinari bothering to get involved in an inconsequential wrangle between wizards and clerics? Hardly! Ridcully coherently explaining vast tracts of hard science? I don't think so!

If you want to buy this Ian Stewart book on science, go right ahead. But don't buy this Terry Pratchett novel.

Another thing that irritates me in a more controversial sense is that I found the book very preachy about atheism. It's almost as though the authors had an axe to grind this time round, where before they contented themselves with the nobler pursuits of entertainment and education. And their views on agnosticism (a subject dear to my heart) are... eccentric.

Assuming, as I've said, that you're in the market for an Ian Stewart book. Assuming, furthermore, that you can overlook the bouts of didacticism (or at least read some Karen Armstrong for balance) this is still an interesting and up-to-date work, full of discussion of the origins of the universe, the history of science, world religion and more besides. Despite my reservations, I'm glad I bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 19 Sep 2013
J. Crosse - See all my reviews
I loved the first three science of the discworlds, they were interesting, funny and each a pretty darn broad set of topics. This one covered one; the difference between science and religion.

It's not bad, just disappointing. I expect a smorgasbord of science, wit and humour in these books and number 4 felt lacking in all three.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pass the Brandy, 31 May 2013
This review is from: The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day (Hardcover)
You may well need a reviving snifter after attempting this.
The science is good but a bit too wordy and self indulgent.
The accompanying story is to little and too thin to lighten the heavy dough of the 'Science'
Just because the man is a genius does not mean that his and allied works should not be fully read and shortened and/or modifying suggestions made to improve the readers experience.
Yes we WILL read all his works and addenda but it would be nice if it were overseen and revised/made tighter and edited for the sake of the reader.
Even Milche Cows should produce quality product not milked to death just for profit.
Sorry not up to Terry's high standard.
Said in sadness not malice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Physics is superb, Pratchett good but view of religion is naive., 8 Jun 2013
J. Gardiner "john70075" (Middlesbrough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day (Hardcover)
I have a degree in Chemistry and a Master's degree in Physics. I found the treatment of science, particularly physics, excellent. I think it could be difficult at times for a reader without a background of A level or equivalent. Never mind, it is possible to bleep over those bits and still enjoy the book. It hinges on different ways of seeing things and the consequent effect upon interpretation. Discworld, as in the three previous books in this series, provides the opportunity that valid laws of physics hold there. Full marks Sir Terry for achieving that.

As to the underlying story from Discworld: amusing but not comparable with the novels. I was rather disappointed that the relationship between the Unseen University librarian and Marjorie Daw, the Roundworld (Earth) librarian didn't develop further than a gift of a banana.

The conflict between science and religion is less satisfactory. I am a practicing Roman Catholic and personally I find no conflict. A point which is not made fully is that science is a rational system based on doubt and religion is irrational based on faith. These positions are not mutually exclusive; one can hold either, both or neither. The arguments against religion tend to be naive simply looking at God interfering in the physical world as required. I suspect that none of the three authors has religious faith (indeed it is specifically stated for one of them) and that is why they seem to have difficulty in really appreciating it. At times it smacks of "This is a hangover from the past where people were not as clever as us" I dumped that idea when I read James Cook's account of a meeting a Polynesian navigator in his exploration of the Pacific and realised that the man was as great a navigator as he was; even better considering he didn't have the sextant and Harrison's chronometer.

In short, there is no way to guarantee scientific truth; quantum mechanics and chaos theory will ultimately prevent that. Neither is there any way of proving religious faith. If you need another example; try proving, SCIENTIFICALLY, that one and one make two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Missed a trick?, 18 May 2013
Mr. E. A. Hulse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As always, the contrasting of discworld with roundworld offers lots of useful insight into the way WE think and act. That is how/why the discworld story is set up - unlike the novels in which TP makes such witty comparisons on nearly every page, whether we always spot them or not. This book is about the science and the implicit danger of belief systems that do not accept reasoned presentation of reality as currently understood. And how we all have tendency to such belief systems. I was surprised therefore to NOT see in this book this argument taken forward to global warming, and the inherent danger in allowing this subject to be regarded as one engendering belief or disbelief. The existence of God or otherwise can remain a very personal understanding, but disbelief in the truck that is hurtling toward you will only end badly. Perhaps the basis for Science of Discworld V?

4.0 out of 5 stars Not enough Discworld, 5 May 2013
Janet (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
But I always think that in these books. Loved the character of Marjorie Daw and good to see Vetinari getting an outing. The Science part (for me) turned into a bit of a rant. I very much dislike creationist thinking but believe the way to prove them wrong is with the science and not the rants.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ook!, 13 April 2013
Oh dear... I have read, and loved, all the Pratchett books ever since I first picked up a cheap copy of Strata many years ago. He has been my favourite author all that time. I'll probably continue buying them for ever, in the possibly vain hope that there'll be a return to form. This however is a further sign that that form is irrevocably lost. The essence of the fictional sections of this book is merely a longish short story, interspersed with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen's factual scientifically based sections. But unlike previous Science of Discworld books, I found myself more eager to read the science chapters than the fiction.

Pratchett, whom I have always admired for his use of language, seems no longer capable of constructing a sentence without overcomplicating and over-elaborating it. The narrativium seems to have deserted him too; the story itself is childishly simple, without any depth at all.

The dialogue, which used to zing, is cumbersome and stilted; there seems to be no differentiation between characters' speech patterns. They all talk ponderously and awkwardly, with way too many clauses and sub-clauses.

It was quite a shock to realise that Stewart and Cohen were able to write more wittily and entertainingly than Pratchett in this book. The book was worth buying for their contribution, not, sadly for his...

ARRAY(0xac20e6cc)

The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day
The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day by Jack Cohen (Hardcover - 11 April 2013)
9.00