5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant
Last year I discovered Jane Casey's wonderful Maeve Kerrigan series. After consuming them all at rapid speed, I have been waiting impatiently for more Maeve and Derwent. I couldn't wait to get stuck in, once the new Maeve book had landed on my kindle.

Published 6 months ago by Christine M

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic crime fiction
Published 21 days ago by Zeudy Tigre

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant, 8 Jun 2014

This time the action starts with the death of a police officer, who was by all accounts an unhappily married man. Maeve and her fellow officers are looking into his background, and discovering who would hold a grudge. Then there are further deaths of servicing officers, and it starts to look much more complicated. At the same time, Superintendent Godley is going down-hill mentally, with his life falling apart. Maeve also has to deal with relationship issues.

This is such a clever, well written series. Casey has created a brilliant pairing in Maeve and Derwent. Their witty conversations are a joy to read. No wonder I have a huge crush on Derwent. He might be a bit of a sexist dinosaur, but he is a breath of fresh air. There are lovely moments of comedy, usually from Derwent and sad poignant times in the book. I never wanted it to end.

Absolutely brilliant. Totally and utterly recommended. This is one unmissable series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic crime fiction, 5 Dec 2014
The Kill, by Jane Casey, is classic crime fiction. It features troubled cops with messy personal lives trying to solve difficult cases involving multiple murders, in this case of police officers in London. There is sexism, relationship breakdown and corruption within the force. The protagonist, Maeve Kerrigan, is a beautiful young detective who must overcome stereotypical prejudices. Her colleague, Josh Derwent, is physically strong and outwardly unpleasant but with a soft side that is rarely acknowledged. Alongside this pair we have the respected, older cop with secrets to hide and the career minded woman who nobody seems to like. It is the typical team of characters that works well for fans of the genre.

Maeve Kerrigan is shown to be strong in so many ways: putting up with the running commentary of sexist remarks from colleagues; gaining the upper hand when cornered by a group of young thugs; successfully fighting back when attacked by a desperate suspect. It is a shame that she has less success in fighting back the tears at inopportune moments whilst at work, a problem which none of her male colleagues appears to have.

Josh Derwent displays a serious attitude problem towards women as well as an apparent inability to control his temper in public. Neither of these attributes would suggest that he could become a good upholder of law and order. As the author is reported to have a ‘unique insight’ into crime fighting and to incorporate ‘gritty realism’ into her stories I do feel some concern about the make up of our police force. I hope that she took plenty of artistic licence in developing her team of characters.

The plot is compelling and the writing flows effortlessly until about three quarters of the way through the book. At this point there is a major development which felt rushed before the pace once again evened out and progressed smoothly towards the denouement. This hiccup was unfortunate as it made me feel as if the author had tried to squeeze more into the story than there was room for.

However, throughout the book I wanted to keep turning the pages to find out what happened next, and a great deal certainly happened. I was glad that the focus remained on the crimes rather than personal lives, except where they were deemed relevant. There were twists and turns aplenty with false leads suggested and enough surprises to keep me guessing until the end. The ending was very well done.

This is good crime fiction featuring layered sub-plots and gratifying if questionable practices to get results. Some of the dislikeable characters come good in the end, others get their comeuppance. There were issues to ponder such as how the media reports crime based on a victims looks or perceived morality, and how politicians skew events to feed contrived public prejudices.

If you enjoy the genre then this book is worth reading. It is the fifth Maeve Kerrigan tale and, if the ending is anything to go by, will not be the last.

My copy of this book was provided gratis by the Dead Good Book Group on Goodreads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another one bites the dust, 29 Jun 2014
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not everyone likes police officers. Some people don't because of something that may have happened to them that involved the `boys in blue', whilst others dislike of them simply because they don't like authority and think they should be allowed to do what the hell they like. There are even some people out there who hate the police to such an extent that one less copper is something to be celebrated. When two people out badger watching in Richmond Park in the early hours hear what sounds like two gunshots, whomever has cause to celebrate found a reason to open another bottle.

This is the fifth novel to involve Detective Constable Maeve Kerrigan, but only the second I've read, and I'm pleased to see that DI Josh Derwent is still her boss and, even though Kerrigan does fancy him a bit, is still as chauvinistic as ever. Interrupted at a wedding reception in Somerset, the pair (along with others) drive back to London to do what they need to solve the crime.

Once again Casey paints a fine word picture that makes you think you've actually been to Richmond Park and the other London locations, and I prefer books in this genre to be set in the UK as it's somewhere to which I can relate. As for the two detectives, old school Derwent knows he can't get anywhere without the calming Kerrigan who, in turn, realises that whatever she may think of his methods, she does admire him in some respects and knows it's not always best to pussyfoot around; sometimes you have to get straight to the point.

The narrative moves along at a fairly brisk pace and the detectives' task is made harder when the body count, all part of the force, begins to mount. Is it a terrorist plot, someone with a grudge, or something else? It's good stuff but I think it's a notch lower than 'The Reckoning' and it makes me wonder how much further the author can take the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complex story of police killings, 25 May 2014
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In this 5th outing for DC Maeve Kerrigan and her love-him-hate-him boss DI Josh Derwent, Casey proves that she has grown away from the more formulaic slasher/serial killer themes of her first books. There has been a welcome maturity about the last two books, and the trajectory continues here with a complex story of police killings.

This would, I think, work ok as a stand-alone read, but the past history of our characters raises the stakes. At the heart of this series is the intriguing relationship between Kerrigan and Josh - and it's the latter who is the prime draw for me. Unrepentantly coarse, crude and chauvinist, Josh follows his own moral code which is utterly true and full of a slightly skewed integrity. The last book, especially, (The Stranger You Know) gave us a fascinating insight into who Josh was and is and since then my book crush on him has turned to love!

In this story we at last see Rob become more than the pretty-but-dull boyfriend; and the Godley sub-plot reaches a fine conclusion. Only the last page point forward to the next book made my heart sink a little as Casey seems to plan to bring back Kerrigan's old nemesis...

So another great read from Casey confirming this as one of my favourite crime series currently being written.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 Dec 2014
I received a copy of this book from the Dead Good Crime Book Group on www.goodreads.com and I want to thank them, once again, for introducing me to another new author that I may never have found.

I haven't read any of the preceding books in this series so started reading with no background or information on any of the characters at all. In hindsight, I think it would have been better to have that knowledge as I did find myself wondering where some of the characters were coming from. Having said that though, I thought it was well written with engaging and complex characters. The storyline was great, delivered with good pace and with interesting twists. I like the relationships between the various characters and despite Derwent being a chauvinistic pig, he was the cause of an internal battle I had with myself - one minute I liked him, the next he was a total [insert appropriate swear word]. Derwent was also the one who made me laugh out loud by his ludicrous statements and the situation he found himself in towards the end of the book.

Overall, a good read but one that would probably have been much better had I read previous books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars It starts off with the murder of an off duty policeman and quickly escalates to looking like someone has a grudge against the po, 10 Dec 2014
The second book I have read from the Maeve Kerrigan series. It starts off with the murder of an off duty policeman and quickly escalates to looking like someone has a grudge against the police force. It was well written and moved along at a good pace. I like Maeve but have failed to really warm to Derwent. There are flashes of compassion from him towards Maeve but I just still cannot bring myself to like him. This book can standalone for those unfamiliar with the preceding Maeve Kerrigan books as Jane Casey gives little recaps along the way. The ending reminds me of season finales on television, enough of a cliff hangar to leave you counting down the days until you find out what happens next

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent instalment..., 2 Jun 2014
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When an off-duty policeman is shot dead in his car it looks at first as though the motive must be something to do with his personal life. His widow seems angry rather than grief-stricken and his daughter has some unexplained bruises. But a few days later a team of officers is attacked while out on patrol and it becomes clear that someone is targeting the police in general. But no-one knows why...or do they? This is the fifth book in the Maeve Kerrigan series and continues the high standard that Casey has set herself in the last couple. It might be possible to read this as a standalone, but there has been a developing story arc which comes to a head in this one, so I would strongly recommend that new readers should read the series in order (starting with The Burning).

Maeve and Josh Derwent are still working as a team and, despite their constant bickering, it's obvious they've learned to respect and trust each other. Derwent is the ultimate male chauvinist pig, but he's also loyal to the people he cares about and has a strong moral code of his own, not to mention being very funny on occasion - so, like Maeve, the dedicated reader has learned to put up with his sexist taunting, and has grown to like him despite his awfulness. Maeve's long-term boyfriend Rob plays a small but important role in this one, but in general he's faded rather into the background in the last couple of books as Derwent has come more to the fore.

Maeve is the same strong and stubborn officer we have grown to love, still with that wicked streak of humour that comes through in the first-person narrative when we get to hear her opinions of those around her. It's Maeve's normality that makes her so refreshing - she works well as a team-player, is loyal to her colleagues (sometimes too loyal, perhaps) and tries hard to stay within the rules. One touch that I've always enjoyed about these books is her relationship with her mother, carried out mainly over the phone. Although Maeve spends most of her time trying to avoid unwanted maternal advice, it's still her mother that she turns to when she needs some emotional support, and these occasional little interactions help to show Maeve as a rounded character with strong family roots.

The storyline in this one is strong and well plotted, with different strands that overlap in the investigation. The running plotline about Superintendent Godley is brought to what looks like a possible conclusion, for which I'm not sorry since it's the one aspect of the books that I've had some serious credulity issues with. There are some dark and unsettling moments in the story and Casey writes these very well - she's great at getting the balance right between the grittiness of the plot and the humour that is such a trademark feature of Maeve's relationship with Derwent. And there are enough twists along the way to keep the reader guessing till near the end. Altogether, another excellent instalment that ensures this series remains one of my strong favourites. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Dec 2014
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My first Maeve Kerrigan book and I have to say I was impressed. Jane Casey has delivered an excellent story with very strong characterisation. The dialogue and dynamics felt very real and the story had not only pace but satisfying twists.

A killer is targetting police officers and the Met investigation team desperately follow leads, some of them that may take team members into danger...some references to previous books, but they do not spoil the story for a first time reader.

Very good this, delighted to discover both the author and Kerrigan and pleased to find there are some more out there for me to catch up on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !!, 9 Dec 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The first time I've been introduced to Maeve Kerrigan, even though this is the 5th in the series. An excellent fast paced crime novel that didn't disappoint. I really need to catch up on the series earlier, although it is highly competent as a stand alone novel. Maeve is the most prominent character in the book, and I did find some of her male colleagues were slightly on the weak side. Brilliant writing, and a fantastic, fast paced storyline. Highly recommended, and I will certainly be reading more of Jane Casey's books in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 Dec 2014
I bought this before going on a long flight. But i gave up before the end because it was sheer torture. One of the slowest thrillers I've read. There's far too much padding and no tension whatsoever. Also too much emphasis on the relationship between the two detectives . One is a dim-witted female and the other is a foul-mouthed lech. Their conversations are unrealistic and irrelevant. I'm afraid there's nothing positive I can say about this book. I can't believe it has so many five star reviews. To me that makes no sense. Total waste of money.

The Kill: (Maeve Kerrigan 5)
The Kill: (Maeve Kerrigan 5) by Jane Casey (Hardcover - 5 Jun 2014)