4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me but not as easy as she makes out!
I bought this book following the feature in The Saturday Times last month. If you follow this diet as strictly as you can I think weight loss is pretty much guaranteed. I haven't lost 20lbs admittedly but I wasn't hugely overweight to start with. I'm 5'3 and start weight was 9 and a half stone. End weight after 4 weeks is just below 9 stone. And I barely did the exercise...
Published 20 months ago by Highnotes

2.0 out of 5 stars Most people will not lose anywhere near 20lb/9kg
I have recently completed the full 28 day cycle - no cheating, no mistakes, did the correct exercise, special ordered the elusive sprouted grain bread and even bought a food scale. Result - 3.5kg weight loss.
On the Fast Metabolism Facebook page, it seems this is common. Fast 2 kg weight loss in first week, then yo-yoing up and down, with not much weight loss...
Published 20 months ago by Book Bunny

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last ~ weight loss and lots of food!, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Fast Metabolism Diet: Lose Up to 20 Pounds in 28 Days: Eat More Food & Lose More Weight (Paperback)
I have yo-yo dieted for as long as I can remember.
Was vegetarian for 20 years and quite obese ~ too much biscuits,cheese,chocolate.
Then a year long 'shake and bar diet' in which I lost 5 stone.
I regained 4 stones during the next 3 years ~ thinking I was eating healthily but actually was quite calorie restricted. Even though I exercised loads the scales didn't go down at all ~ in fact they kept creeping up.

I have done one round of this diet ~ lost 1 stone and have at least 2 1/2 more to go.
It takes a while to get your head round what to eat and when .
The most useful thing I did was to write out phase appropriate food lists on separate pieces which I've stuck on the fridge. I rotate them through the week and they help to keep me on track and with shopping list planning.
The initial set up in terms of stocking the fridge and larder is expensive but I'm learning to buy in bulk ~ huge packets of porridge oats for example ~ and haunt the reduced isles of the supermarkets for organic meat to stick in the freezer.Home grown cut and come again lettuce is also easy to grow ~ whether you have a garden or grow in a pot.

I never wanted to lose 20 pounds in 28 days ~ it would feel too quick ~ and for me too much like that year when I shed a huge amount of 'me'.
I'm confidant that my weight loss will continue at around 2-3 lbs a week. I do have masses of energy. I feel happier ~ emotionally. My self esteem is also on the up.
I sleep better and my periods are much easier.
I weigh and measure myself each week ~ measuring helps to spot weight loss on the weeks when the scales stay the same.
If I have a 'craving' ~ which is after all just a 'thought' ~ I either have a big glass of water or ask myself : "what do I really want?" or have a square of dark chocolate.
I don't want to become obsessed about what I can and can't eat ~ but to just enjoy what I do eat knowing that its giving me the best chance of being healthy .

I'm so so impressed with this diet!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is definitely working., 11 Nov. 2013
This food combining diet is a revelation to me. I am that person who has tried all the other diets out there and still I struggled with my weight. The diet plan works with your body instead of depriving your body of certain food types. The mixing up of different foods on different days does seem to keep the body working hard as it tries to second guess what is going on.

I regret buying it in kindle form because you have to do a lot of flipping to and fro from meal planners to recipes to food lists. I loved the weekly meal planners.

I have lost 6lb in two weeks, and some weekend cheating! If you feel nothing is shifting the weight anymore then I would say give your body a last 28 day chance.

4.0 out of 5 stars book review Fadt Metabolidm Diet, 31 May 2013
I lost 12 lb in 5 wks and pleased. U must sleep well and eat routinely for the diet to obtain better results. Tricky for me with young children at home who are wakeful or ill. That shud b taken into consideration in your results!!!! It must b giod as I am going to lose last 7lb on it again soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great diet not only to lose weight but to eat in a healthier way and feel better, 3 Jun. 2014
I had just 5 kilos to lose, not so much, and I did agree with the author that eating less just forces you to eat even less if you want to keep your weight. I can diet for a while but after that I want to be able to eat normally again, not dieting forever, so I decided to give it a try. I wasn't convinced that my metabolism would accelerate, but I believed that I would lose weight as phase 2 is stricter than the Dukan Diet. The results have been astonishing, even if not all ascribable to the diet itself. I lost 2 kilos in the first 5 days, I believe I am intolerant to something, my guess is dairy, and without that I deflated like a balloon, and after a month I lost 4 kilos in total. Not only, I feel much better overall and I have cheated all weekends, being at home with two young children and going to several kids' birthday parties (including my own son's) I could not resist and just ate snacks and cake, I kept drinking my espresso in the morning and the occasional glass of wine, and I still lost 4 kilos.

Apart from phase 2 that is really hard and very restrictive, this diet gave me the chance of discovering new types of healthy foods and changed my eating habits in a way that I want to keep up for life, much less pre-prepared food with low quality fats and way too much sugar and strange additives, and more organic and whole grain. Instead of cow milk, rice milk works fine for me, spelt pasta is much tastier than wheat pasta. I bought a bread machine and now I make my own whole-grain spelt bread, not only for myself but for the whole family. I discovered grains that I had never eaten before, such as quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth, I started to rely more on vegetable proteins and I increased my intake of vegetable and fresh fruit (instead of sweet snacks) and I want to keep it that way.

The only CONS to this diet is money, it is very expensive, spelt past can cost as much as 6 times more than wheat pasta, I have found a brand of rice milk that costs slightly more than fresh milk, otherwise that is expensive too. Fruits and vegetables, especially organic, are more expensive than snack, even if way healthier. Making my own bread does not save a lot of money, especially as I buy organic flour, but as I said, I do feel better and I would advise this diet to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars just do it, 29 July 2014
For once an eating plan that makes sense and the fact you focus on two or three days at a time means you don't have to project days and days of eating the same stuff. I believe this is scientific and all makes sense. Years and years of sort of knowing what's important but not knowing how to do it. Lots of ideas for recipes. Now all I have to do is do it!! I feel motivated and positive that this will work. Great read. Great advice. Great knowledge. Thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you for not being honest about side effects, 25 May 2013
I really wanted to like this diet. I have been on it for 4 weeks as I bought it as soon as it became available in the UK. And it is true you do lose weight but for some people - myself included there is a high price and she doesn't mention it in the book ANYWHERE.

I have had depression for several years since my first child was born and I have struggled on and off ever since. The 2 non carb days caused me to get very sad and teary. First week I passed it off as hormones. 2nd week I was a bit more sceptical and by 3rd week I had done some research and discovered that very low or no carb diets can reduce the production of seratonin (the stuff you need to fight off depression). You can adjust to it over time but this diet is all about not allowing your body to adjust to anything so every week it has been the same thing - if i don't have carbs then by about 4pm I am in bits.

I am now going to keep doing the bits of this diet that don't make me mentally ill and see whether i still lose weight.

But to not even mention this potentially fatal side effect - shame on you Hayley

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's working for us, 4 Aug. 2013
KLP "KLP" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
When it comes to diets, you choose one that suits you. This suits our lifestyle. The book is clearly written and backed up by what appears to be logical, reasonable science. It doesn't seem faddy or peculiar. The actual sorting out of what you can eat when took us a bit of time to get our heads round (you need to plan ahead at first) but it is clearly laid out in the book. And there are quick reference pages when you need to look something up quickly. We're now into the swing of the diet. And all I can say is that it seems to be working. I would recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 23 Jun. 2013
N (Eastbourne) - See all my reviews
Had an extract of this diet from a newspaper and decided to start it immediately! Then bought the book for more info. The book is a bit American and wordy but a good back ground tool to keep you on track with the diet - well probably just a way of eating for life. It's easy food - nothing processed and you just need to keep track of which day you are on!

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't afford or find the ingredients. Not for family on a budget, 18 May 2014
The concept of this diet is wonderful and I fully believe it could work. BUT I can't afford the ingredients. I spent £20 in Holland and Barrett on eight items which would be useful as wheat and dairy alternatives, and some nuts (small packs). Cannot find sprouted grain bread for a reasonable price (I know its on Amazon but £15 on bread? Need a taster first). Almond/rice milk is nearly £1.50 a carton. Basically this diet requires you to cut out wheat, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, soya, corn etc for a full 4 weeks, otherwise it won't work (author says). You also have to eat every 3 hours which is not always possible, I work nights too, often staying awake for 36hours at a time, so how could I switch between phases without sleep in between? I appreciate this could work for some people but sorry, not for me at this time. Good luck to those who try this - if you can afford it and be strict with yourself you'd be fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, 30 July 2013
My husband and I are now into our second week and we have both seen results we haven't had with any other diet regime. I highly recommend this book and the diet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›