5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun and full of great advice
I'm not a Grandparent yet, but I was delighted to read and review this book on behalf of both Mumsnet and Gransnet. "The New Granny's Survival Guide" is a guidebook which will help you navigate your way through the complex role of Grandparenthood. The foreword is written by Janet Ellis who shares her own role as a Grandma.

The book is full of helpful quotes and...
Published 14 months ago by Roses are Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected
I think I was expecting something more dynamic and hands-on where this is more of a guide about how to behave and think as a Granny - keeping the peace etc. A good present for an interfering grandma perhaps!!!
Published 1 month ago by Beezle 47

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun and full of great advice, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The New Granny's Survival Guide: Everything you need to know to be the best gran (Hardcover)

The book is full of helpful quotes and examples from members of Gransnet who share the good and the bad of being a Granny. I was shocked to learn that there are 14 million Grandparents under the age of 65 in the UK. Gransnet was launched in May 2011 providing support and comfort to a vast network.

Did you know that 5.8 million Grandparents regularly look after Grandchildren for an average of 10 hours per week? It saves parents a whopping £11 billion in childcare. You are either for this or against, but 97% of Grandparents don't get a penny for the childcare either. The facts and figures really brought home to me how important Grandparents are in our lives.

The book deals with all aspects Grandparents must deal with, from the delight of the "birth" and coping with ever changing advice on feeding, sleeping and clothing a new born. To competition between Grannys and even what name to chose for yourself. I thought the section on Mother-in-Law/ Daughter-In-Law relationships gave some very useful advice and opened my own eyes as a Daughter-In-Law.

When to bite your tongue and when to offer help and advice are discussed with emphasis on taking a deep breath and a step backwards before plunging in with unwanted words which alienate your relations with the parents of those precious Grandchildren. The "Wisdom of Experience" chapter was an absolutely brilliant summary of Grandparenthood.

I think this book offers its advice in a fun, easy to read format, which is up to date and will benefit families of all ages. This review is based on a free copy of the book given to me by the authors, but I have no hesitation in giving it this 5* review.

4.0 out of 5 stars the new grannys survival guide, 11 Jan. 2014
I love a good read so I was excited to be sent this book to review from the lovely lot over at Mumsnet . I must admit I haven't read many "survival" books before so was unsure what to expect. It is lovely that this is something tailored for grandparents as apart from new granny cards I have never really seen any grandparent specific gifts. The small back note claims this book to be " the complete guide to grandparenting for fabulous grans everywhere". I liked the sound of it as i consider my own mum very fabulous.

The book is divided into nine chapters covering everything from how to be a good gran in waiting to granny rivalry to helping children cope with divorce. There are little quote snipets from the lovely "grans" of Gransnet. If you have just thought Gransnet? Shame on you have a peek here they are a group of very modern grannies who share advice, experience and a lot of laughs from the sounds of some of the quotes.

It comes as a hardback, I love the dust cover its very retro chic, very pretty. It's funny, but informative. Lots of lovely little gems of advice that will make any new gran feel at ease and not alone in facing the new and wonderful world of "grandparenthood". It's the perfect gift to give to any expectant gran.I am going to pass this on to my mum to let her have a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Gift Book!, 7 Jan. 2014
The book is lovely to look at - Hardback with a textured paper dust cover with a vintage homely design. It would look lovely on a shelf and would definitely be appealing to any Gran/Granny in your life.

The tag line on the book is `Everything you need to know to be the BEST Gran' and is a collection of wisdom and advice taken from hundreds of Grandparents on Gransnet - the Grandparents' Website. The forums were scoured for everything that new Grannies should know and it was all combined to make one lovely book. The book covers topics from becoming a Grandparent to being a Grandparent and answers questions related to young Grandchildren, older Grandchildren and the different situations that any Gran may find themselves in.

Reading through the book you cannot help but feel for people in the situations discussed, relate to other parts and laugh frequently! The book is informative but funny and would be great for a Gran to read but then to keep and use for reference when situations occur. The New Granny's Survival Guide covers every subject you could think of from Special Occasions to Finances, Childcare to Modern Technology. It's an eye opening read - even not being a Grandparent - and something I would definitely have bought for LP and LM's Grandparents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 Nov. 2013
I gave this as a present to a great friend who is anticipating the birth of her first grand-child. I have not read it myself but my friend said it is absolutely MUST reading, both funny and informative, and definitely should have five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A light hearted, witty read with practical advice, 9 Jan. 2014
Being a granny isn't how it used to be, these days there are many glamorous grannies with hectic social lives, busy work lives and grannies that are very internet savvy which is why the book The New Granny's Survival Guide: Everything You Need To Know To Be The Best Gran is so very relevant.
The book is witty and light hearted at the same time as offering immensely practical advice on subjects such as; how to get along with your in-laws better, the best ways to entertain your grandchildren, dealing with competitive grans and broken families plus so much more. There's also an insightful foreword by Janet Ellis.
The book which is written in collaboration with Gransnet is a sister website to Mumsnet. Gransnet offers a brilliant community of women that are or will soon be grannies, you can ask any question about being a granny and you're sure to have a lot of experienced grannies offer their advice.
If you're about to become a granny or your mum is then this is the book you need.
Personally I really enjoyed reading this book and think it has a beautiful and realistic approach to grannyhood. It certainly made me feel very positive about becoming a grandma myself one day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a friend, 12 April 2014
Bought this for a friend expecting her first grandchild so didn't really read it. Sent it to New Zealand and got a big thank you back so seems it was ok!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable advice/tips., 15 May 2014
Mrs. Margaret Wrenn (Hartlepool UK) - See all my reviews
I am a granny - and this was invaluable, a lot I already knew, but some advice was invaluable!! Great.
Keep up the good work

Thanks!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 21 Dec. 2014
I bought this for my one of my mother's Christmas presents last year as I was expecting my daughter around the same time and she was going to become a grandmother for the first time. Sadly she's never told me what she thinks of it so I don't know if she liked it or not but I had a look through it before wrapping it and it seemed to me like a good read full of good advice and lots of humour. I'm sure a lot of grandmothers would appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Granny gift, 27 Dec. 2013
Bought as a tort for my friend who has just shared her first Christmas with her new granddaughter sure she will love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tips, 10 Mar. 2014
I gave this to a friend who had just become a granny for the first time. She loved it and found it most helpful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›