5.0 out of 5 stars The book that changed everything...
I'm going to find it very hard to write a review for this without being too gushy, but out of all the fitness and diet magazines that I've read over the years, this has had the most impact on my life.

Published on 14 Oct 2011 by K. A. Porter

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not the best on the subject
I have recently begun a 'primal' style adaption of my diet, eating lots of protein but no carbs other than what are found in veggies etc. I had recently read a great book by Dr John Briffa called "Escape the diet trap" and wanted to extend my research on the subject so I bought this book.

It is OK, but a bit boring and drawn out in places, whereas the "Escape...
Published on 10 Jun 2012 by FLB

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that changed everything..., 14 Oct 2011
K. A. Porter - See all my reviews

Mark writes in an informal and engaging way, breaking down each of the blueprint rules succinctly. Each time he gives justification, backed by scientific evidence, as to why the rule should be followed.

I've always been interested in the affect of diet on a fitness regime. I felt like I had all the pieces of the puzzle, but this book showed me how to put it together.

I started eating primally six weeks ago, and have seen a dramatic transformation. I've lost a lot of fat, have more energy and look younger. There are other things that have changed, but I'll save them for the pub! I'm getting to be the fittest I've ever been, but I'm also loving the workouts - not bored by the same old gym regime.

The one downside is that me and another friend who has turned primal have become 'primal bores'. I'll talk to anyone about it (as my fiancee rolls her eyes...) and encourage everyone to read it. Sometimes I bore myself with how much I go on about it....

So, if you're interested in diet, nutrition and the affect it has on your health and fitness, I couldn't recommend this book enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 months on and 3 stone lighter!, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Primal Blueprint: Reprogramme your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health and boundless energy (Paperback)
I have been following the Primal Blueprint for 6 months now and I have lost 3 stone. My adult acne and IBS have also completely gone. I don't have to starve myself and I no longer get horrible sugar cravings all the time. I look and feel great and would never go back to my old way of eating. I think other reviewers have said enough about the book itself, so I will just give a couple of tips based on my experience of following the recommendations in the book.

The blueprint is so different to how I was living and eating before that I found it a bit overwhelming to make so many changes overnight, so instead I introduced them gradually. I started with cutting out bread, then the next week caffeine, then sugar etc. It took me about 6 weeks to fully adjust, but I think this was much easier mentally and physically than doing it all at once.

Try not to get too stuck in a food rut. Whenever I find myself feeling a bit bored with Primal eating I get my recipe books out and come up with some new dishes to try. I also find it good to keep a few meals in the freezer for those days when I just can't be bothered to cook from scratch. That way I'm not tempted to have a take-away or something for convenience's sake.

I would recommend looking at Marks website marksdailyapple.com . There is a lot of information on there and you can get some free exercise and recipe PDFs. The success stories section is particularly good if you are in need of some inspiration. Some of the people on there have been through some truly amazing transformations.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone wanting to lose weight and/or improve their health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 20 Jun 2013
S. Duty - See all my reviews
In 2007 I had a total hysterectomy due to ovarian cyst at the age of 50, After that I never felt the same. Lack of confidence, sleepless nights, hot sweats, aches and pains, mood swings, depression, back ache. I tried HRT pills briefly and they made me feel worse and for the next few years I struggled with increasing weight and dragging myself to work like a zombie. Then a few months ago I went to the Doctor and told him I tried all the herbal remedies and nothing works he gave me HRT patches but after blood tests and blood pressure checks said my cholesterol was 8.5 and my pressure was borderline high and promptly gave me a prescription for statins and blood pressure tablets. So I came home and started surfing the internet and reading. I purchased this book and tore up the prescription and started following the advice. No cereals, no potatoes no legumes. Lost of vegetables, salads, fish and chicken and a little meat. After a month I felt better and now four months later I feel better than I have done for many,many years. I sleep better, have lost weight, my skin is good, I feel happy and I look at myself in the mirror, no more aches and pains no bad temper and I feel lighter than air. I love this man and what he has done to change my life. My husband loves him too T Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars A blueprint for all our futures, 7 Mar 2010
You might think: it's just another fad diet, it's very american, it's just Atkin's rehashed.

You might, but you'd be wrong.

This isn't a diet, at least not how we now understand that word to mean, it's a whole body whole life way of living. Yes, Mark suggests low carb eating, but with no "only bacon and eggs for the 1st month" a la Atkins. Mark promotes the eating of lots of vegetables and fruit (yes, fruit, again unlike Atkins). There's no magic here, other than the magic that is in all of us - our genes and making them work for us.

Mark promotes 10 laws to help lead a better life. One that works with how our bodies are designed to work. This includes laws on food (of course), exercise and having a happier life.

The excercise suggested would be easily attainable by any one (obviously to differing standards) except for the most stubborn of couch potatoes. The core of it is lots of walking. I have easily built this into my day to day life, (ie: the oft suggested get off from the bus a couple of stops earlier) so that it hasn't felt like a chore at all and I no longer have to find time to go to the gym (and then fail in that endeavour). The other elements of the exercise program are easy to do at home, and with no equipment if that's the way you want to go (and it is for me).

Some may find some of the thinking challenging, as it's different to what we hear from 'experts' and government bodies (such as whole grains are good). Regardless of that, I encourage anyone interested in leading a healthy life, easily (regardless of whether you have weigh to lose) to grab a copy. Of course, if you have weight to lose it's fantastic - I've easily (very easily) lost 10 Kg in 2 months and have never felt better.

Mark has a great philosophy and is a great writer, informative, inspiring and funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works, 13 Sep 2011
I started following the Primal lifestyle, with tweaks to make suit myself,since November 2010. That was after losing 2 stone on my low-fat conventional diet that ground to a halt, plateaued and with me feeling so hungry!
Since finding The Primal Blueprint I've lost 4.5 stone without starving, eating food I love and now feel great. In total I've lost 6.5 stone and am down from size 20/22 to size 10. Also I've reversed my hypertension and no longer take tablets. This is not a fad or a gimmick, it is a guide to a natural way of eating to fuel the human body as it requires. So stop eating chemical rubbish and just eat real food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, I feel great, totally recommend going Primal, 6 Aug 2010
I just had to write a review of this book after eating Primally for a month. I have Crohn's disease and after much trial and error have realised that I thrive on comsuming more protein that carbs, which make me feel lethargic, bloated, sticky and unable to control my weight. My search for high protein diets lead me to this book and it's a revelation. I feel amazing, I eat 3 meals a day and snacks (not long ago eating one meal before 6pm was a major accomplishment) and by using Mark's guidelines for protein consmuption based on my lean body mass and the fantastic wesbite Fit Day, I've lost 16 pounds in a month, another 7 pounds and I'll be the weight I was as a teenager and I didn't even start this to lose weight! I thought his laid back, American tone would put me off but I've found it really inspiring. I've signed up to his email newsletter, Mark's Daily Apple and they always keep me on track with great snippets of advice. I do sometimes deviate from the plan and suffer the consequences but knowing that the next high protein meal will sort things out again, I never feel worried or guilty. I'm eating more fruit than I used to (which was basically none) which is great for maximising my vitamin intake and no grains or starches at all. Monitoring my nutrition on Fit Day is very informative and a great motivator. I'm getting out in the fresh air more, walking every day and generally feeling healthy and strong. I only go to the gym twice a week, once to lift weights for 20-30 mins and once to do sprints for 16 mins. Its such a pleasure to feel this healthy. After being diagnosed nearly 2 years ago I thought the rest of my life would be days of feeling weak and crappy with constant symptoms. I rekcon this lifestyle would sort out any chronic disease and if you're just overweight or feeling sluggish and unhealthy, give this a go for a month and you will be amazed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attainable health with the 'but why's ' answered, 19 Mar 2010
I've read many diet books, I've tried and failed at many diets too... but this book really is different. Mark Sisson writes not only abot weight loss, but about changing your health completely... following his guidelines, changing your weight, body shape, energy levels and general health is achievable.

I have to admit that at first it seems daunting, and a bit extremist, that is until you read the research and reasoning for making the dietary changes he suggets. I don't always manage to stick to the guidelines 100%, but the best thing is that I don't ever feel like I have 'failed' at it. Once you are armed with the knowledge from this book, it really is hard to go back to eating and living like before.

I give this book 5 stars because the content is dense yet succinct, backed up by the famous Mark's Daily Apple Blog, and if you're sceptical, just try it to believe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Popular science on a very personal level..., 18 Mar 2012
As a lifelong sceptic, I had questions I needed to have answers to when I bought a book about 'lifestyle'. I bought Sissons' book on a recommendation from a Google+ acquaintance; someone whom I had no reason to trust, but her on-line testimonial about Mark Sissons, his 'Primal' lifestyle and what it had done for her swayed me: I bought a copy, and took in its import. The book is very readable, the references (yes, it's fully referenced; scientific, remember?) checked out, and the message appeared rational. Both the book and the author have changed my own life, in that in just a few, short weeks after taking the main message (eat plants and animals, avoid cereals, sugars and bad fats, and exercise nicely) to heart I feel absolutely wonderful. I have steady weight loss, my body is changing shape (positively), I have more 'energy', I feel hunger in a quite different way (no craving) and my blood pressure (I was a 'controlled' hypertensive) is normal (mid-70s diastolic).

If I have any doubt about the value of this book, it has yet to become apparent. The message is sound, the writing is engaging, the changes in my own life are, well, weird - It's like waking up from a long illness, and feeling normal again. If I appear to be gushing, then that's too bad. This is how I feel.

The short answer is, "buy this book".

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Primal!, 18 Mar 2010
Gavin Jackson (Addlestone, UK) - See all my reviews
What could you do in 5 months?

You could veg out, be a couch potato, and enjoy the odd six-pack. Or you could adopt the Primal Blueprint, like I did, and lose 58 pounds and 7 inches off your waistline; you could drop 15 percentage points of fat, and go from fairly obese to fairly fit. You may even find a different sort of six-pack - like I did!

The Primal Blueprint is not a fad concocted by some hack after a quick buck. It's an easy-to-follow lifestyle, developed by a former Olympic class endurance athlete, that's based on sound science, and, get this: It works!

Do your body a favour: Get this book; read this book; and go primal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible and Indispensable. A must read, 4 Mar 2012
Nathan Hewitt "The good life" (Cardiff U.K) - See all my reviews
An outstanding book packed with essential information to live life health effectively.

When you read this you will be annoyed that you didn't know it before! So don't waste time.

This is an investment in your future. This is a must have. It changed my life.

Nate Hewitt