5.0 out of 5 stars At last a British biscuit book!
Miranda caught my eye on the first series of the Great British Bake Off with two things, first her chocolate cake with decorative buttons...AND her beautiful iced biscuits, they were so delicate and such lovely works of pure baking art far too pretty to eat!

Published on 25 April 2012 by Susan M McKenzie

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many errors in the recipes
Published 20 months ago by Jo Rogers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a British biscuit book!, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)

Her first book 'Biscuit' is full of recipes for all kinds of biscuits, everyday biscuits, special occasion biscuits, biscuits that are rolled, biscuits that are scooped, or pressed, savoury biscuits, fruity biscuits, plain biscuits, brownie biscuits, sweetie biscuits (biscuits with sweets in or on them). Its a bit of everything from the plain to the unusual and all biscuit inspired!

The recipes are clearly laid out and easy to follow, there are not a lot of photographs in this book but it does not seem to affect the desire to want to bake from it once you look through it. I like the fact its a personal book with lots of endearing descriptions of children and family favourite recipes and short personal illustrations of the significance of some recipes that have been baked for generations.

The chapters are divided up into easy (for beginners) and more complicated recipes. Tips and advice and variations to recipes are in there too.

I have made one batch of biscuits from the book so far the sledging biscuits (the name grabbed my attention) and they came out really well and disappeared in a couple of days.

I like the fact that this is a book about biscuits, not cookies biscuits are a very British tradition and we don't really have a lot of good modern recipe books about biscuits, as we are cookie led by the American market primarily.

its a welcome addition to my recipe book collection.

If you do buy this book you will find this invaluable for making same sized biscuits like Miranda. Kuhn Rikon Small Baking and Ice Cream Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
I got this book last week and have so far made two of the recipes... the vanilla bisuits which I then iced with my children, and the Marmite Morsels (which looked nothing like the photo but were gobbled up in about three minutes). I am by no means a master baker (as my family will readily attest), but I found the recipes really easy to follow and the resulting biscuits were delicious (even if I say so myself!).

The book itself is packed with beautiful photos and lovely chat from the author. There are so many amazing looking recipes- I cannot WAIT to make the rolo biscuits. This book could be bad news for my waistline...

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many errors in the recipes, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
This book contains some fantastic recipes, as other people have already stated. I am enjoying working my way through them and trying them out to see which is a favourite. However, several of the recipes are simply wrong! Ingredients are listed but the recipe does not tell you when to add them! The orange and sultana shrewsburys are lovely but it was guesswork when to mix in the sultanas as there is no mention of adding them at all. I do wish publishers would do a better job of proofreading cookery books - it would seem absolutely vital to know how much to add and when to add it!
Apart from this complaint, a lovely book and I would recommend it - as long as you're willing to do a little bit of guesswork along the way...!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but....., 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
Bought this as an addition to my ever growing collection of baking books - have tried my first recipe today and there was an error in it - no mention in the method of when to add an ingredient - and after looking at other reviews this isn't the only error. Surely someone got paid for proof reading it??

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, but ..., 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
I chose this book because of the wide choice of recipes, and especially because it's one of the very few books that has any savoury biscuit recipes. There's a lot about this book that I love, but ...

On the plus side:
- it's beautifully produced and engagingly written
- some of the recipes are really good and I'll definitely make them again, eg the seriously seedy biscuits, the cheese and marmite biscuits

On the minus side:
- some of the recipes just didn't work, eg the parmesan biscotti. The figgy rolls were ok, but not as good as I'd hoped.

It's so disappointing when you spend a lot of time (as well as the cost of the ingredients), and it's all been wasted.

But I'm glad I bought the book, for the sake of the recipes that do work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty!, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
I like the way this book is divided up into sections that show difficulty, my 2 yr old loves baking and there are some great, simple and tasty recipes at the start of the book that are perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will pile the pounds on!, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
Loads of easy to follow recipes to suit all tastes. Even just reading the ingredients can make your mouth water. Straightforward,uncomplicated ideas for results that will make you feel very clever. Well done Miranda!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for Biscuits!, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
I have owned a LOT of bakery books in my time and I have to say, its very hard to find one based on biscuits full stop, let alone one that is for practical everyday biscuits for families, rather than perfectly iced showy concoctions!
My children and I have completed three of the recipes so far and all have turned out fantastically and gone down a treat!
One note though: there are errors, for example the Fat Apple Rascal recipe calls for an ounce of sugar, one quick look up on google told me how much that should be but, still a little niggle about whether its right!
I think I have found in this book a rare thing, a bakery book that I will probably attempt 50% or more of the recipes, and whats more, one that I feel is simple enough for me to be able to accomplish that quite easily!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
Great book, has lots of unique recipes or varying complexity so you can pick and choose depending on time and occasion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Biscuit, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Biscuit (Hardcover)
I borrowed this book from the library and liked so many recipes that I bought it (and I don't buy many recipe books). The book also has a friendly feel. There are many innovative recipes in this book and a good section on gluten free recipes.
I was also able to adapt many recipes to dairy free. There is a good section on baking with kids and for kids.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Biscuit
Biscuit by Miranda Gore Browne (Hardcover - 5 April 2012)
5.00