5.0 out of 5 stars A book of its time now as well as then
Although a new book to me this is not a new book as such. First published in the mid-seventies as Rose: My life in Service, this is a book about Rosina `Rose' Harrison who from her humble beginnings in Yorkshire, through to her move into domestic service and her position as a Ladies Maid to Nancy Astor.

Astor was the first female Member of Parliament and was...
Published on 16 July 2011 by Jo D'Arcy

3.0 out of 5 stars A Different Historical View.
This book was an interesting autobiographical account of Lady Astor's lady's maid. I found her loyalty to Lady Astor almost sycophantic despite the fact that she was at times treated abominably. At the same time however, her descriptions of the times when she fought back were both surprising and fascinating. The casual yet profound trust she enjoyed - even to the...
Published 18 months ago by Broadview

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service (Paperback)
Bought this for my Mum & read it after. A new way of looking at the Lady Astor story from someone who probably new her better than most. The detail of "life below stairs" is interesting & I was surprised at just how involved with the war effort both Lord & Lady Astor were. If you like Downton then you will probably enjoy this.

4.0 out of 5 stars How the Other Half Llive, 22 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service (Paperback)
I have always had an interest in Nancy Lady Aster the American Lady who became the first women MP
in the British Parliament.
Rose her Ladies Maid cared for Lady Aster for many years until her death travelled abroad with her and saw how hard her Ladyship worked. Rose was privileged to meet politicians and famous people,people she could not have hoped to be aquanted with if she had stayed in Yorkshire.
Very interesting as it takes us through WW2 years and Lady Aster and Winston Churchills falling out times.
Rose was a very much loved part of the Aster Family.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Missed Opportunity, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service (Paperback)
Much more is known about rich and famous people in history than their servants. This is why it is fascinating to read any account of famous lives and people from a different perspective; I was hoping for a real peak behind the green baize door with this book.

Sadly not, though. Rosina Harrison comes across as a resourceful and extremely tough character, but I was left wanting to know more about her everyday life. She tends to concentrate on Lady Astor's dresses and social life, which frankly is a bit boring and is already well in the public arena. A book with Rosina at the centre would have been a good deal more interesting than yet another account of the Clivedon scandal, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The lady's Maid: My life in service, 16 May 2013
I had this book recommended, I added it to my kindle and I am glad I did, lots of historical knowledge.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting viewpoint, 3 Feb 2013
E. Braben - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service (Paperback)
I have read quite a lot about Lady Astor so this book didn't reveal much about her life and her personality that I didn't already know and I was hoping it would. It was interesting in conveying the scale of the staff and duties behind life at Clivedon thus confirming just how wealthy the Astors were. Rosina Harrison certainly had a very interesting life. The book is ghost written and what grated with me after a while was what I can only describe as the sterotyped voice of the narrator. There were too many: my lady, mustn't grumble, it's just her nature, I speak as I find, kind of comments. But as a slice of life told from a maid's perspective it has some value and perhaps the book inevitably represented the 'them and us' of the times.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE LADYS MAID, 8 Dec 2011
Mrs. Joan Harrop (manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service (Paperback)
THIS BOOK IS VERY INTERESTING A GOOD READ CAME IN GOOD TIME AND IS GOOD CLEAN CONDISION VERY PLEASED WITH THIS BOOK AND WILL BE LOOKING OUT FOR MORE BOOKS

1.0 out of 5 stars not a happy bunny !, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service (Paperback)
I was realy looking forward to the delivery of this product as a friend had recommended it to me .It arrived on time however when I opened it I was extremely disappointed by the quality .It was listed as being in good condition however the cover had a 4 inch cut along it and into the first pages !!! I will defiantly not be ordering from this seller again

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service
The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service by Rosina Harrison (Paperback - 23 Jun 2011)
6.39