4.0 out of 5 stars Emma and I
This is a beautifully written autobiography about a blind woman's relationship and dependance on her chocolate labrador. A really feel good novel involving a fight for independence, romance and eventually a struggle to regain sight.
One of the most moving books i have read this year.
Published on 12 Aug 2004 by elliedurant

1.0 out of 5 stars Emma and I is a wonderful book, With well recognizable feelings and episodes for ...
Emma and I is a wonderful book, With well recognizable feelings and episodes for us hard of hearers- underlining the well known fact that loss of these two senses have much in common. The greatest and best part of her story, despite all houmorish, courageous and brave behaviour is never the less is that after having got rid of her blindness in stead of throwing it...
Published 1 month ago by Håkon A Sundt

4.0 out of 5 stars Emma and I, 12 Aug 2004
This review is from: Emma & I (Paperback)
One of the most moving books i have read this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story of love and devotion, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Emma and I (Paperback)
This is the beautifully written story of Sheila who sadly goes completely blind at a very young age. AS the years go by Sheila is offered the chance to own a Guide Dog named Emma - a beautiful chocolate brown lab. This is their story!
Before Emma came along Sheilas life was so hard, a life of blackness, uncertainty and of finding her way around a dark world. Emma comes along and changes that. THese guide dogs are amazing and total transform a visually impaired persons life. Emma takes Sheila everywhere and the love and trust they have for each other is remarkable. A life long bond.

I absolutely loved reading this one - i couldnt put it down. Its amazing how clever these trained are and shows what a powerful change they have on visually impaired people. Wonderful story 10/10. I want to get the others now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sad, amusing and comforting., 12 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Emma & I (Paperback)
The story is about a lady (Shelia Hocken) who is blind, and she ends up having to get a dog (Emma) to help gain independance. This story explains what it is like to be blind, having a blind dog and living with it and falling in love. I cryed for a long time when I read the book. I didn't cry because I felt sorry for her but because the story touched my heart in a way that not many have. Would really recommend reading Emma and I.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, a must read, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Emma and I (Paperback)
Absolutely charming and thought provoking autobiography about a blind woman and how she copes in a sighted world. Her reliance on her chocolate Labrador is really moving and her descriptions of how they are trained fascinating. Have your tissues ready at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking.., 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: Emma and I (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book years ago. I enjoyed it so much then that I really wanted to revisit this old friend.
I would recommend this book to anyone whether they are a dog lover or not, a great deal of different aspects to this book make it unforgettable and a huge pleasure to read. Sheila is an amazing person and you feel you know her through this book as she puts you by her skill of writing exactly in her shoes.
A wonderful treasure of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Jan 2004
Emma and I was easily the BEST book I have ever read. The stories of Sheila and Emma, her chocolate Labrador are touching, amusing and inspirational. Of course I cried at the end. Emma and I moved me in a way no other book has.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story., 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Emma and I (Kindle Edition)
I read this book many years ago but it's one that has stayed in my mind, it made quite an impression on me. I've actually read it twice as I enjoyed it so much. It is about a woman who has a hereditary sight problem and eventually her sight gets so bad that she needs to get a guide dog. This is a marvellous book about Sheila's early years then about her meeting Emma her guide dog, training together, their life together and eventually meeting her husband. There are many lovely photos included in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book,well told!, 1 July 2013
linda green (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emma and I (Paperback)
A lovely story of a young woman & her brilliant guide dog/best friend/another hard to put down book! A must read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Emma and I (Paperback)
The book is an amazing tale about the life of a blind girl who is lucky enough to own a beautiful chocolate labrador and the story of their life together! An amazing novel for anyone! Inspirational!

By Kate age 12!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great informative read, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Emma and I (Paperback)
Bought this as a birthday present. Very good read, very honest and informative. Have now received it back so I can read it but my 10 yo daughter has pinched it and is loving it so far.

Emma and I
Emma and I by Sheila Hocken (Paperback - 10 Nov 2011)