5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal Simplicity of Thought:How it Changed the World
Some of the most famous quotes are in here and some I had no knowledge of - great little book.
Published 8 months ago by Mr Maurice Southwell

2.0 out of 5 stars Brutally simple, simply.
Published on 26 Mar 2012 by J. Carl

2.0 out of 5 stars Brutally simple, simply., 26 Mar 2012
J. Carl (Gothenburg, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brutal Simplicity of Thought: How It Changed the World (Hardcover)
This book looks really good, and seems to aim at making us aware of the profound thinking behind everyday things around us, things that we might take for granted. All go back to great brilliant thinking. There's something poetic in this that I can appreciate. Still ever so often the examples in this book ends up something like this: think about the London underground. Somebody actually had the strange idea that traffic could go quicker passing "through solid rock." Isn't that brilliant.

Well, it sure is. It's just that this book, however good it looks, gets very repetitive with every example of human invention (traffic lights, credit card, barb wire fences). There's very little text (and there's a thin line between profound simplicity and shallowness) and a lot of white space used well for looks. If you like me come to this book as an advertising student hoping to pick up some tips and tricks, it's easy to find yourself dissatisfied. I suppose the idea is to read this slowly, almost like poetry. I just don't feel up for it.

If Dave Trott had used the examples in this books as starting points for his lovely essays (maybe he already has?), I'm sure he would have come up with a great book. I really recommend his book Creative Mischief and his great blogs instead of this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 6 Sep 2013
The concept of Brutal Simplicity of Thought is a good one. Well done Saatchi and Saatchi for putting it at the heart of their own brand. However this book takes about 15 minutes to read and is full of ridiculously superficial examples of brutal simplicity. There is no story about how they came about. Totally lacking in insight, inspiration or entertainment. This feels like a project that was put together by interns. Not even sure I will leave in my loo.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 24 Feb 2012
Mr. S. Fevyer (UK) - See all my reviews
Simplicity. Great. Something we should strive for. Most of us already know this. I was hoping the book would give some insights into how to achieve it. It doesn't. Looks nice, but there comes a point when acres of white space stops being beautiful and you realise there is hardly any content. Don't bother.

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap and corny, 15 May 2014
Sums up ad men for you. And I was one.
Live to this recipe and you'll be in trouble.
Over simplistic. Trite

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal Simplicity of Thought:How it Changed the World, 25 Oct 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars very simple!, 17 Oct 2013
Too simple - what a waste of money! Bought it because some of the money went to a cancer research project, but honestly, what a rip off!

1.0 out of 5 stars It's all in the name...., 21 Jun 2013
Having pioneered the art of branding at the Ministry of Public Enlightenment (Saatchi Co) for many years now, it seems Charles Saatchi has finally decided on how he can brand himself. It was a SIMPLE decision wasn't it Charles?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Dec 2012
M. Straaw "Boy07Delta" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
great book, i'm enjoying it so far to be honest. i haven't finished it yet but if it is of interest don't hesitate.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less is Less, 25 Jun 2012
Triffic (London, England) - See all my reviews
I expected more from the "author" not a collection of other people's contributions. I am sure that if Maurice put in the effort he could write a riveting read but this isn't it.

2.0 out of 5 stars BRUTAL SIMPLICITY OF THOUGHT, 17 April 2012
Colin Reeve "colreeve" (nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
I found this hard back book some what disappointing it did not give me what I was expecting I guess I was hoping for more

Brutal Simplicity of Thought: How It Changed the World
Brutal Simplicity of Thought: How It Changed the World by Lord Saatchi (Hardcover - 15 Sep 2011)
8.16