5.0 out of 5 stars Chortle-on-a-tram
Well, I wasn't sure whether this book was going to be my thing or not but I was hooked after the first couple of pages. I laughed out loud and chortled my way through my tram-bound commute to a coroners inquest - perhaps inappropriately, in retrospect.

Great stuff and I thoroughly recommend it to cricket fans and cricket casual acquaintances alike!
Published 4 months ago by Poke

3.0 out of 5 stars A promise not fulfilled
As an expectation, what could be better - a comedian writing about cricket? Should be funny, with lots of inside information about what happens on an England cricket tour. To some extent the latter is fulfilled, but not to a satisfying extent. And there are no hilariously funny parts; it is funny only if you enjoy spending the entire book cringing for the writer in his...
Published 18 months ago by Mr. D. R. Goodman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Chortle-on-a-tram, 6 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fibber in the Heat (Paperback)
Very funny book, well written and full of self depreciating humour making it well worth a read for cricketers and blaggers everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars best fly on the wall i`ve read, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Fibber in the Heat (Paperback)
just a great comedy romp wish I`d done what he did. Miles Jupp is amiable and self deprecating. you don't have top be a cricket fan to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blagging Your Way Round A Test Series, 7 Sep 2013
Patrick Elliott "Pat Elliott" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fibber in the Heat (Paperback)
A good read and a good insight into what goes on 'behind the scenes' at a Test Series. I think there's a serious book to be written on this subject too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and quirky, 4 Oct 2013
M. V. Clarke (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fibber in the Heat (Paperback)
This book recounts Miles Jupp's attempts to blag his way as a cricket journalist on England's tour of India in 2006. Despite no experience, Jupp decides this is simply what he has to do; he loves cricket and feels envious of the occupants of the press box, so decides to attempt to join them. By deceit and trickery, he persuades BBC Scotland and the Western Mail (South Wales) to cover the tour for them, but this doesn't result in a smooth passage. He has endless trouble getting hold of a press pass, and, once in India, neither potential employer seems keen to engage him in any real journalistic work. He does end up writing a blog for the Western Mail, though. Jupp's tale is one of hapless and often hilarious woe; he quickly shows himself up in the press box by acting like a fan rather than a journalist, and there are several other moments that made me cringe on his behalf. However, as the tour goes on, a rather nasty stomach complaint gives him time to reflect on the situation he finds himself in; journalism seems harder than he thought, and the change in attitude from supporter to someone watching the cricket as part of their job is far bigger than he'd imagined. After feeling thoroughly fed up, he does, however, rekindle his passion for cricket, but once again as a supporter, rather than a journalist. Throughout, the story is told with self-deprecating good humour, and it's an easy, enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fibber in the Heat (Paperback)
I was a little wary of this book as the whole "blagging a press pass" set-up seemed rather artificial. But I really enjoyed it and laughed out loud in several places. Miles Jupp tells a good story, as you might expect from a stand-up comedian, and is an amusing innocent abroad in the world of sporting journalism, although I did find him implausibly naive about what the day-to-day life of a cricket journalist would involve.

Cricket fans may be intrigued to discover which cricket journalists were friendly towards a newbie on tour and which were beastly to him (the beastly ones are anonymised but I reckon I identified a couple of them). Sadly missing is anything about which journalists rumbled Miles's masquerade. It would have made an entertaining epilogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blagging his way to the crease. Miles Jupp does something we wish we had the nerve to try., 10 July 2013
Mr. M. P. Webb "Matthew Webb" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fibber in the Heat (Paperback)
Miles Jupp is rapidly becoming a stand up sta,r but at one time he was known only to people under the age of five as 'Archie The Inventor' on CBBC's Balamory.
Having tired of the rock and roll lifestyle that children's TV offered he decides to follow his passion and become a cricket journalist.
To his credit he gets considerably further than most of us would, managing to blag his way into the inner sanctum of the press box for England's Test Tour of India.
He does this with a mix of charm, wit and the occasional bare faced lie. To the envy of every cricket fan he also gets to socialise with such cricket heroes as David Gower, Aggers and even Botham himself. Eventually the effort of his fibbing catches up with him as he wilts in the Indian heat but you have to give him credit as he tackles Indian bureaucrats, armed guards and..er..diarrhoea, coming out if not exactly smiling, certainly with a tale to tell.
If you are a cricket fan then this book has more than enough to keep you reading. Where else would you find out what Geoffrey Boycot wears under his nightshirt? Where else would you find out that Ian Botham introduces himself as Beef? (Is it me, or is that a bit odd?)
Even if you aren't particularly passionate about cricket this is still an entertaining book, part travelogue, part comedy, at times descending into farce, Mles Jupp has a comic touch and, I have to say, balls of steel. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Jun 2014
great perspective of the great game. I still would love to meet the greats he mentions. maybe one day when.I'm big!!?

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and revealing, 29 May 2014
Doktor Futtocks - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A confession: I have never watched 'Balamory', so I knew very little about Miles until he started making TV appearances on panel shows and such things. I found that he came across as bright, articulate and likeable, so I thought I'd give this book a try.

I did fear that it would be yet another book of forced, matey Cricket humour, but it isn't that. In fact, what you find yourself reading is an enjoyably humorous look behind the scenes that gives the reader an idea of what it is like to follow the England cricket team as a job, rather than as a fan.

Miles battles with sweltering heat, fear of being unmasked as a fraud, elusive accreditation and his bowels. But while many of the people he finds himself meeting, from ex-players to experienced journalists, turn out to be friendly and helpful, he finds himself questioning whether being paid to watch Cricket is actually all it is cracked up to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice easy read...., 26 April 2014
...and you don't need to be a cricket fan to enjoy it. Miles I admire what you did as few would have the gumption or the brass neck!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fibber in the Heat
Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp (Paperback - 6 Jun 2013)
6.29