Format: PaperbackChange

on 11 September 2011
I generally love all books of this genre being a nurse myself and an old school one to boot so this should have been just the ticket. I nearly always finish a book once I've started it, although as I get older, I think life's too short to stick with bad writing. Not that this was bad, it just wasn't so good.
I'm sure Evelyn Prentis was a better nurse than she was author which was good for her patients but she must have had some great stories to tell and she tried to in the book, but it just didn't really come across. I kept getting bored, sorry. Then there were moments of great pathos, well written chapters with characters you could relate to, when I'd feel almost guilty for nearly giving up on the book. Fortunately, I took it on holiday with me, so being stuck in an airport I saw it through to the end. Now I realise I've also got her other book, I don't feel in a rush to read it.
When I read through this review again, it sounds terribly negative and I thought I should at least try and say something positive. The book did give a good reflection of how very difficult it must have been to nurse in the months leading up to and at the start of the Second World War.
on 19 October 2011
Just couldnt put this book down, from the very first chapter I was completely hooked. being a nurse myself, training in the good old days of Matron and standing to attention when Sister walked on the ward, it brought it all back to me and at times it was myself stood there in front of Matron experiencing those gut wrenching feelings!
Completely funny and entertaining, so descriptive, I was wafted onto those wards.
I cant wait for the follow up "Nurse and Mother" and have already pre-ordered, 1 of the best books I have read for a v v long time.
on 5 October 2011
An excellent book though I think some of the memories did not quite tie in with dates but the book was so well written that this did not matter.
It was one of those books that one does not want to put down and I found myself eager to get back to the story whenever I had to break off. I would thoroughly recommend this book.
on 7 November 2012
After reading several of her books, I have come to the conclusion that Evelyn can't bring people to life on the page although she has a sense of humour. She is so detached. It then becomes boring. The one exception is Matron at Last - Evelyn clearly loved the residents she worked with.
on 13 October 2013
I was looking forward to reading this after her first book about her training, but this got away from the hospital scene and more to do with there private life outside the wards towards the end, which i did not mind but would have liked a bit more on the wards, but an interesting story.
on 29 March 2012
As a nurse, but from a later time than this book is set, I really enjoyed it. Some aspects of the job were much the same when I started, but some had moved on, but it was a brilliant read, and I would recommend it.
on 26 October 2014
I loved reading it. It's a reflection of Nursing the sick. I loved the funny aspects of the book. I have also learnt a lot from reading it as it sort of refreshed my memory. Excellent book!
on 23 January 2013
Having previously read her books I was delighted when they were reprinted. This is part of a sequence telling the story of a young girl who became a nurse. Very readable and more-ish
on 26 October 2011
Another brilliant book by Evelyn Prentis!I loved it, i am not from a nursing background but do love history and first hand accounts about our past and this is a very good insight!
on 9 March 2012
The book was a present for an elderly lady. It hit the spot straight away with memories evoked that kept us all chatting all day long. well written and entertaining boook.