5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent crime thriller
I chose this book after reading the author's previous novel, The Burning. Whilst I'd quite enjoyed it, it wasn't the best crime thriller I'd ever come across, so I was expecting this one to be of a similar standard. However, I was pleasantly surprised that this book is much better than The Burning, in fact I really enjoyed it.

The story again follows young DC...
Published on 28 July 2011 by AR

3.0 out of 5 stars Becoming formulaic?
Published on 20 Dec 2011 by Steve Benner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent crime thriller, 28 July 2011
AR (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The story again follows young DC Maeve Kerrigan, who is assigned a case where a convicted paedophile has been horribly tortured and killed. When two more bodies quickly appear, Maeve realises she is dealing with a brutal killer who is targeting child abusers for a specific reason.

Although this is a fairly hefty novel at almost 500 pages, I whizzed through it. Each time I put it down I couldn't wait to continue with the story, which is much faster paced than The Burning, which I found a little slow at times. A lot happens in The Reckoning, in fact the plot is rather intricate, and features a lot of different crimes that are somehow all connected, from rape to kidnap and murder. The story moves a long way from the initial killings to the shocking resolution of Maeve's case. Some of the crimes here are brutal, and I must admit I shuddered a few times.

As well as the murder case, we also see Maeve's fledgling relationship with her colleague Rob Langton develop, although there are a few false starts along the way. Maeve is a great central character for a crime thriller, different from the usual middle aged divorced men or women with young children struggling against the weight of the crimes they investigate. Whilst Maeve finds it hard to deal with some of the crime scenes, she is still young enough to be enthusiastic about her job, and isn't yet fatally jaded like so many literary detectives.

My only, very slight, criticism, is that the whole story is told from Maeve's perspective, except for a couple of chapters very late on that are from Rob's POV. Whilst this is necessary for the plot, as Maeve isn't present at several important moments, it does distract a bit from the story.

I've already ordered Jane Casey's first book on the strength of this one, and look forward to the next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Becoming formulaic?, 20 Dec 2011
Steve Benner "Stonegnome" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Jane Casey had something of a run-away success with her first crime novel, "The Missing". "The Reckoning" is her third published outing and features DC Maeve Kerrigan in a sequel to the earlier "The Burning". This new book offers the same solid writing and story telling as the earlier two but, for me, never really develops the tension and drama of either of them. Also, it gives every impression of being written to a specific size, rather than to the natural length of the material, and doesn't always feel to have sufficient story to fill its 480-odd pages. This would seem to be very much a book written to a publisher's brief.

Fans of Casey's work will no doubt lap this one up too and indeed, there is nothing here substantially to disappoint any avid crime story enthusiast. There are danger signs, though, that this author is running the risk of becoming overly formulaic, which after the promise of her earlier books would be a great shame. Her character portrayals are woefully flat at times; DC Kerrigan has hardly developed at all across the two volumes. I do hope Jane Casey tries her hand at something new in her next book and doesn't become lured into the trap of more-of-the-same-please by a short-sighted publisher looking for a safe market; it would be a crying shame for this much talent to go to waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 10 Oct 2011
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Amazon had The Burning on my recommended list so when this was offered by Amazon Vine I decided to give it a go. I am so pleased I did as it is well written, has good characters and an interesting premise for a crime novel.

When two paedophiles are found dead having clearly been tortured, the police investigate with varying amounts of interest. When a notorious crime boss notifies police that his 14 year old daughter is missing urgent action is required. This is a thrilling book and although there is plenty of violence it is not anywhere near as graphic as some books, which I was grateful for.

There are plenty of twists and turns which kept my interest level high throughout and there is the back story of Maeve Kerrigan, a tall Irish Police Constable, and her budding relationship with a colleague Rob. The ending was as gripping as the rest of the book, I will definitely be ordering Jane Casey's previous books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good paced Thriller, 19 Aug 2011
I. Mcintosh "Ian Mc" (Great Yarmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first Jane Casey read and I have to say my first impressions are very good. I thought the book had a good pace and especially enjoyed the bits where the main character Maeve Kerrigan and her senior partner were trying to solve the murders.

There are some good twists and turn along the way but personally, I thought the parts of the book that detailed her private life were a little too long for me.

Would I recommend this book ? Yes. I look forward to reading more form this Author's previous books and future releases.

4 stars from me, if she had shortened her private parts a little I would have definitely given this thriller 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better each time, 13 Aug 2011
Elaine Simpson-long (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The second book by this author featuring DC Maeve Kerrigan, determined to make her mark and be a good detective but having to put up with a lot of prejudice and sexism from some of her colleagues. I very much enjoyed the previous one in the series, The Burning, so was pleased when this one arrived and settled down with cup of coffee and cushion on the sofa. Two bodies have been found and it is clear that they have been tortured before being killed. All pretty gruesome and very few clues and nobody is particularly eager to help the police track down the killers when it is clear that the two murdered men were convicted paedophiles. DC Kerrigan still feel that murder is murder no matter what the sins of the victim and there is doubt that one of the victims might have been wrongly convicted. Then a third body turns up and a pattern begins to emerge and not the one the reader is first led to believe when a high profile gangster is caught at the murder scene. He has returned to this country to find his daughter who has gone missing and when DC Kerrigan, working with a new boss DI Josh Derwent, tracks down another girl who had also vanished some time ago and there appears to be a link, she is soon hot on the trail.

The characters are settling in nicely now in this series. Maeve is nervous of becoming too close to her colleague Rob Langton, he is scared of commitment as are all fictional police officers it seems, and is now teamed with an abrasive new boss and has to come to terms with his attitude towards women cops. Once again you think same old, same old but I think that when reading detective stories this is something that we have to accept as, quite frankly, I think that being a cop must make you wary of forming a relationship with the stresses and strains that the job entails.

A tight, pacy thriller which I can recommend. Jane Casey is hitting her stride now with this series and I am hoping there are more to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maeve has a future..., 13 Aug 2011
Welsh Annie (Wetherby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must say up front that I enjoyed this one - it reminded me of early Cath Staincliffe, and the author has created a likeable and well-rounded central character in Maeve Kerrigan. Young, naive, well-intentioned, she's something a bit different in the central role of a police procedural like this. Her love interest, Rob, never really grabbed me to the same extent. And the decision the author made to have him take over the narrative for a couple of chapters was a bad one - it was very clumsily done, and I failed to see the purpose. Other police characters and villains though were very believable, all with home lives and back stories that added depth to the book - a touch of the Peter James, I thought. The use of humour is excellent - despite gruesome moments, this is an easy book to read. Lots of twists and turns, plots and subplots - but I thought the absence of a single whodunnit story weakened the book a tad, leaving rather too many threads to tie up at the end. That said, I'll definitely read more - Maeve Kerrigan is a character I'd like to see develop further.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best yet from JC, 8 Aug 2011
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Reckoning: (Maeve Kerrigan 2) (Paperback)
I haven't read Jane Casey's first novel, and her second was nothing special so I'm surprised I found myself buying her third - but from early on and right to the last page, I liked it. Quite a lot, in fact; as Sophie Hannah is quoted on the dust jacket, "It's satisfying" (among other positive comments) and I would agree. Possibly a bit convoluted and probably having one thread too many, but very enjoyable all the same.

Most of the tale is told in the first person through the eyes of DC Maeve Kerrigan, the small remainder through the voice of colleague and on-again/off again lover Rob. That relationship is narrated in too much detail, it seems, until the reader discovers there's a relevant point to it all and not just romance-filler. It's crime fiction in the main though and those crimes are graphic and borderline disturbing, even if the concept is blatantly aimed at those who regard paedophiles as criminals for whom no conventional justice is good or fitting enough even years after their prison time has been served. For the first chunk of the story the reader is led into thinking that retributory paedo-murders are what this story is all about; thankfully there's a lot more to it than that thanks to some key changes in direction that take some weaving together in order to sound feasible but I think the writer pulls it off well.

One of the better elements to this novel's positives is its high standard of character creation and development, a good example being Kerrigan's new partner on London's Metropolitan Police Force, DI Josh Derwent. It's as easy to like him as it is to dislike him - and you're sure to feel one or the other as he's not boring! Other well-drawn characters include Kerrigan's perceived love-rival Liv, her DCS Charlie Godley, and to a lesser extent Rob, the occasional object of Kerrigan's desires.

The writing style is quite good with suitable touches of irony and humour here and there, but at its heart is a thoroughly-researched police procedural with most of the real-life investigative and forensic elements of contemporary policing narrated in convincing detail. The one weakness could be that there's at least one sub-plot too many, and all of these have to find closure leaving the impression that there's one ending too many as a consequence. But none of this detracts from my overall impression, which is that it's at minimum very good and anyone giving it the full beans (5-stars) won't be overdressing it. I'm very glad I bought it and read it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Reckoning: (Maeve Kerrigan 2) (Paperback)
After all of the positive reviews for The Reckoning, Jane Casey's third novel, I had high hopes for a good read. Unfortunately, by around page 310, I'd finally had enough and decided to abandon my attempt to plough through it.

If you like books where all of the characters fit into a typical predefined stereotype, then The Reckoning is the book for you. Willowy Irish heroine struggling to overcome her sexist police colleagues. Check. Mean and moody love interest. Check. Superior officer who treats the heroine with contempt because she's a woman. Check. Overweight and bigoted colleagues. Present and correct.

The plot itself is slow moving, and as one reviewer has already pointed out, changes part way through to be nothing like the description on the back of the book. These factors, combined with the cardboard characters, meant that I really didn't care how things turned out. There were also a few typos in my copy with words from sentences missing. Lazy to say the least.

While there's lots of great crime fiction out there, plenty of it, like The Reckoning, is simply below par. Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why I love books, 2 Mar 2013
Not sure how I came across Jane Casey but I am very glad I did. This is the first book of hers that I have read. I fell out of love with reading for a while and have made a conscious effort to rekindle the relationship. This read is a reminder of what I love most about books.

The writing is sharp, witty and tight. The plot has more twists and turns than the big dipper in Blackpool and went off in directions I really was not anticipating. The sign of a good writer who can do that to her reader! Some of Maeve's lines had me laughing out loud. Nothing like cantankerous colleagues to bring out the best in people. I also learnt a new name for that handle above the front windows in a car. Never heard it called that before!

The characters that are in this book are not all fully developed so there is plenty of scope for more of them in the future. I am sure that we still have a lot to learn about Maeve too.
I think I need to read the previous book to get to know more about her. It will soon be on my TBR pile.

I enjoyed this book immensely and would say it is very high up in my top ten reads. Goes without saying that I would recommend this to any crime fiction fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but........it's not the 1970s, 13 Dec 2012
G. Morris - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Reckoning: (Maeve Kerrigan 2) (Paperback)
Overall the book was an enjoyable read except for the [overused] cliche of the macho male detective(s) treating the female officer in sexist and macho ways. Maybe this would be the case back in the 70s but not in the modern force. Today if any male detective treated or spoke to a colleague in the manner we read in this book then they would certainly be on a disciplinary charge.

The Reckoning: (Maeve Kerrigan 2)
The Reckoning: (Maeve Kerrigan 2) by Jane Casey (Paperback - 21 July 2011)
5.51