4.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for women under 30
Published on 14 Aug. 2011 by Sarah Rayner

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well...................
I'm giving this book 3 stars as an average based on the fact that at the beginning I thought I would be giving it 5 but by the end I wanted to give it just 1.

Published on 30 July 2011 by Al

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for women under 30, 14 Aug. 2011
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
...which I'm not, you understand. I've a decade on Caitin and grew up with the feminist debate raging about mine ears. For a while now I've been sighing heavily at how it seemed to have fallen off the cultural radar - no one seemed to be talking about it any more, let alone calling themselves a feminist. And now here's Ms Moran, putting the debate about what it means to be a woman in the 21st century not just back on the agenda, but in the non-fiction top 10. Hoo-blooming-ray! Look, there's heaps about this book that's annoying. The incessant CAPITAL LETTERS. The surfeit of screamers. Initially I felt like I was being shouted at, that the jokes weren't all funny, and this was a memoir masquerading as polemic. But unlike other reviewers who thought it petered out, I warmed to How to Be a Woman hugely. The writing seemed to calm down, become less personal, more thoughtful. So by the end I was converted. I've just been to buy a copy for my teenage goddaughter. She told me her ambition was to 'get married and go to parties' (presumably not in that order). So I hiked her by her beautiful long hair to the nearest bookshop and thrust a copy into her perfectly manicured hand. 'Read this,' I said. 'It's funny'. She may not agree with all or even any of it. But I think she's much more likely to actually read it than Germaine Greer or Simone de Beauvoir, and if it makes her think - just a bit - then I'll be pleased. And if she gains just a smidge more ambition, I'll be cockahoop. So if you've never read a book on feminism, read this one. And if you've read a few, read it too. It's contemporary, strident and wise. You'll also have a laugh, and crikey, there are a lot worse ways to spend your time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well..................., 30 July 2011
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)

My girlfriend has been asking me to read this book for a while (for the record I am male but like to think I am as liberal as they come). Eventually I acquiesced and started reading with few expectations (I had never heard of Caitlin Moran before I picked this up). I thought the prologue was great. It was genuinely funny (even made me laugh out loud a couple of times which almost never happens), well written, and engaging. The next few chapters were just good, though I felt like it could have done with some ruthless editing of the bits that weren't quite so funny or poignant to make it great. But towards the middle of the book things started to go downhill, pretty steeply.

One of the problems with the book is that the author talks as if everything is black or white, gloriously righteous or disgustingly evil. In the beginning when she is talking about obvious things (woman should have the same opportunities as men, etc..) this is fine. It's when she gets into more debatable arguments (strip clubs= evil, burlesque shows + pole dancing lessons= fantastic), even about things that I agree on (e.g. pro-choice, aethiesm) that this starts to grate. She treats the idea that any opinion other than her own could have any validity with contempt and doesn't really put forward any cogent arguments for her reasoning (but basically devolves into semi-coherent rants over and over again- and this is coming from someone who actually agrees with the broad points she is making!!).

She talks in sweeping generalizations and sometimes contradicts herself. More and more so as it goes on the book reads as if it has been written in a rush and never re-read or edited. When I started reading I was actually thinking the author is someone I would love to have round for dinner to have a conversation with, by the end of the book that idea seems more like an opportunity I'd run a mile from because I envision she would not let anyone else get a word in edgeways, shout down any opposing opinions and to be honest, I'm not sure she's actually a very nice person.

Something I also came to realize through the course of the book is although I think MOST of her opinions are right, it comes across as if she doesn't think they are right because she's sat down and tried to think things through objectively. It's because things have pissed her off or got in her way and so she has come up with arguments (and not necessarily well thought out ones) to justify the way she already feels.

Would also like to point out that making a joke about a child covered in napalm is never funny, particuarly when you are trying to take the moral high ground. And also that I have never read anything about Oprah's arse but quite lot about China's growing economy, if it's the other way round for the author and it pisses her off so much perhaps she should stop buying Grazia and Heat and perpetuating the culture of criticizing the appearance of successful women she claims to be so against.

Essentially I really enjoyed this book when I started it but by the time I finished I was so irritated it took me an hour and a half to get to sleep last night :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Puerile rubbish, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Kindle Edition)
I realise that I am slightly older than Caitlin Moran (the wrong side of 50) so perhaps the message supposedly in the book escaped me as it was intended for a younger generation. All I can say therefore is that it was not my sort of read and I would not read any more of her books. I read this with a local book club, and apart from one member we all disliked it. I managed to finish reading it (which was a struggle) and even now I can't really put my finger on what exactly her point was!

I hated the way it was written in "teenage" fashion - with LOTS OF CAPITAL LETTERS TO MAKE IMPORTANT STATEMENTS - and lots of swear words to shock. If you can't get your ideas across without resorting to this sort of gimmick you really shouldn't be writing a supposedly serious book on woman's issues. Also like many other people who have reviewed this book I thought the mentioning of the child covered in napalm was offensive - perhaps this was meant as another shock tactic? I disliked having her opinions thrust down my throat as if they were right without proper balanced argument and I particularly disliked the attack on Katie Perry which was unnecessary and unpleasant. She may not be Caitlin's sort of person but it doesn't mean she is a bad role model. Frankly a worse role model for women would be someone who drinks too much, took drugs and sleeps around a lot. Remind you of someone?

This was a book about how to be Caitlin Moran and not about how to be a women and if I could have given it zero stars I would have.

1.0 out of 5 stars If this is modern feminism, I despair for humanity, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
I was deeply, deeply unimpressed by this book. I think the main problem is it continually being touted as 'the next wave of feminism' or as some kind of modern feminist keystone, rather than what it actually is: a rather unexciting memoir interspersed with lots of "I am right listen to me CAPS LOCK" rants. If I'd expected the latter, maybe I wouldn't have felt so totally let down. Honestly, the only reason I finished the darn thing was so I could write a fully informed review explaining how much I disliked it, and why.

Firstly, the structure of the book is haphazard at best. It starts off fairly well, but once Moran moves from a fairly straightforward autobiographical account of her childhood, any sort of attempt at structure falls to pieces. It's a pretty disorganised bunch of vaguely-related anecdotes and angry rants. To be fair, it's probably quite difficult to write a part-autobiography-part-faux-feminist-manifesto and keep a good structure, and maybe I could have overlooked it if the content was good. But it wasn't.

I hate the way Moran presents her opinions. (Note: I don't necessarily hate the opinions themselves., but the presentation drives me crazy.) It's full of contradictions and dogma. She likes to tell you exactly what is ok, and exactly what is not. There isn't much middle ground. Just because HER wedding was a disaster and a waste of money, she tells you NOT to have a wedding. Right. It couldn't possibly be that her wedding didn't suit her and her husband's personal taste and needs, it is the case that weddings are stupid and you shouldn't have one. Strip clubs are WRONG. Burlesque is RIGHT. Katie Price is WRONG. Lady Gaga is RIGHT. Heels are WRONG. Leopard print is RIGHT.

... You get the idea. She contradicts herself constantly (eg. kids make you into a super human and once you're a mum you are better than Obama/don't feel the pressure to have kids) and it is incredibly frustrating.

However, what I hate even more is the extent of her dedication to social justice. She rants for pages and pages about the pressures put on women - and I sincerely believe she does care - but then in the next instant, will write off entire groups of people with shocking generalisations. She makes a disparaging comment about men running around pretending to be goblins on World of Warcraft - thanks, Moran. Because only MEN play video games, and it's ok to poke fun at the losers who do that, right? But god forbid you mention the glass ceiling and she'll explode. For someone so concerned with social equality, she is far too ready to write off other groups of people and judge them in the same way she's asking people not to judge women. It hacks me off.

Which brings me on nicely to the constant pop culture references she feels obliged to throw in as often as possible. A lot of the time, her references are solid, and she at least knows something about what she's referencing, but then it comes to video games, or manga (she calls Gaga a 'manga cartoon'), and she is embarrassingly uninformed - it feels like she's just chucking in the references like "HEY I KNOW SOME STUFF." It's fine that she doesn't know anything about some things - just stop pretending to. Stop writing about them. And worst of all, stop disparaging them.

She writes to shock, without actually being particularly shocking. When she does shock, it's in an offensive way - the Napalm joke obviously offended a lot of other people, myself included. Why did she think that was ok? How is that consistent with her philosophy? Again, it felt like she was just throwing in a reference to say "hey look I know about a famous photograph".

The chapter about her abortion was frustrating, and I wanted to like it - as she does say, it's not something often talked about, and I would have been interested for her to actually address the stigma. Instead, she implies that there is more stigma attached to being a mother aborting than a teenager aborting. It's like she's trying to big up her own circumstance - that just isn't true, at all. She dismisses one method of abortion as something that "everyone says" just "freaks you out", which really angered me. I'm not asking her to be a source of accurate medical information, but to just dismiss one legitimate method that many women go through just off-hand, without having actually experienced it - it seemed kind of irresponsible, to me. I just think a little research would have gone a long way. When it comes to the description of her abortion - as with childbirth - she seems to enjoy fear-mongering. Again, that might genuinely be her experience, but I think she gets carried away in making it sound like poor little Caitlin enduring all these terrible things - when SO MANY people go through this, she's hardly special. Too much drama. Then, she dismisses out of hand anyone who dares to feel upset after an abortion, because PROPER feminists wouldn't. Like her (unsurprisingly.)

It all boils down to Moran being RIGHT, about everything. Which leads to an awful lot of sweeping statements about incredibly complicated ethical (and occasionally religious) issues - which deserve thorough consideration and carefully constructed arguments. Moran doesn't do this. Instead, she capitalises angrily and yells about her opinions.

Moran's mostly right about the problems with modern society. They need to be addressed. What we really need isn't more dogma, but the opening up of a platform to discuss them. I don't think Moran's book does that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes! but..., 31 Aug. 2012
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
A wonderful, frank book, which I enjoyed immensely. However, I strongly disagree with one of the points.

Sorry, I'll quote from memory, because there was a small queue to read How to be a woman at Bury (Greater Manchester) libraries, and I had to return the book rather suddenly. The part I am talking about says something along the lines, that men despise women not because of a "eunuch complex" or any similar artificial highbrow concept but because women are losers.

I agree with this but you elaborate saying, approximately, that in 50 years since the beginning of mass-production of the pill and changes in the law, which declared gender equality in workplace for a tiny minority of Western women, they did not produce anybody equal to Einstein and Steven Hawking.

I cannot argue about Einstein, after all, there are probably only four or five people, which radically changed how we picture the physical world - Plato, Aristotle, Newton with the first person who proposed the idea of the atom being the fifth. Hawkins, on the other hand, "only" made a relatively major contribution to the current cosmology theory and is mostly known as a celebrity.

There are scores and scores of scientists of his caliber. Surely Marie Skłodowska-Curie, who discovered radioactivity, which has had much wider implications than Hawking's inflation theory, is more than on par with Hawkins, who did not win a Nobel Prize yet? She won not one, but two, the first shared with her husband and another man, but the second one with no one. Incidentally, her daughter, Irene Joliot-Curie also won a Nobel Prize.

There is a difference between true worth of a person and his or her media coverage, and the media prefer eminent men and beautiful women, and rarely other way around. I think if we carefully examine the other examples of non-surpassed winning men, we'll discover a few equally talented women.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but made me want to rant., 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
The bits about Caitlin Moran's unusual childhood and family are brilliant (family on benefits, 7 siblings, home schooled). If she writes a straightforward autobiography I'll buy it in a heartbeat. In this book though the autobiographical bits are mixed in with some feminist discussions. It's a bit like listening to a friend rant in the pub - you agree with some of it, you disagree with some of it, and generally you're interested in what they have to say. The problem is, you can't join in with the book. There's no opportunity to tell your drunk friend in the pub that they're talking rubbish. It's very frustrating and leads to you ranting at the book. If you enjoy that, this is the book for you.

The other thing that bugged me was that although she's clearly a very successful woman, she writes most of the book with an air of 'I'm rubbish, I just muddle through', which is infuriating. Hard to believe she read her way through a library or two but didn't at any point learn, for example, how to act in a workplace, dress appropriately, or prepare for giving birth. It seemed incongruous in a feminist book, which you really don't expect to be endorsing a 'silly me, I'm so ditzy' attitude in women.

1.0 out of 5 stars Banal and unoriginal, 29 July 2011
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
I bought this book on a whim, having read a couple of rather mixed reviews. In that context, I was anticipating something entertaining and mildly stimulating. I was not expecting Isiah Berlin. But even against those less-than-demanding criteria, this book disappoints hugely.

Caitlin Moran entered journalism as a teenager, after winning competitions in national broadsheets including The Observer and The Times. Tellingly, these are omitted from this largely autobiographical book, which instead has her entering journalism at 16 when she went to work for Melody Maker. No doubt this version of history is more consistent with the edgy rise from working class obscurity she seeks to portray. I'm three years younger than Moran, and used to read her columns in my parents' copy of the Times, until I left home at 18, switched my allegiance to The Guardian, and lost track of her. So it was a strange experience to pick up this book and discover that, in terms of her attitudes and prose style, she seems to have become frozen in time as that precocious 16 year old - a kind of journalistic Dorian Gray. But what was endearing in a teenager is utterly infuriating - and oddly jarring- in a mature woman. The language is relentlessly mannered, with copious use of capitals and outdated slang from the 90s. This I could forgive if the book contained a single original idea, but the content is as banal, derivative and vacuous as the prose.

Take the chapter where she bemoans the lack of suitable female role models, and bizarrely juxtaposes Philip Roth with Demi Moore, Kim Cattrall and Madonna. This is simply baffling- comparing not so much apples and oranges as apples and donkeys. I don't even think she's trying to make the arguably valid but hardly original point that male writers tend towards the magisterial, zeitgeist-defining, century-spanning 'great novel', whereas women writers have tended to excel more at the (less esteemed) minute examination of the interior, domestic life. If she were, she might have found Margaret Attwood, Helen Simpson, or Anne Tyler more illuminating comparators than Moore et al. But by this stage you have started to form the impression that Moran's vision is entirely bounded by the confines of her media existence- a suspicion confirmed when you reach the Acknowledgements section and realise that, family aside, you recognise a good half of these names from the narrow world of broadsheet and TV journalism.

Ultimately, this is not a book about feminism at all- it's a not terribly interesting memoir with a spurious theme bolted on. Moran wants to validate her own preferences (burlesque clubs but not strip joints; Lady Gaga but not Katie Price), but she does not have the creativity or intellectual ability of, say, Camille Paglia, to do so convincingly. And speaking of Paglia, here's a funny thing. Only one feminist writer/thinker is namechecked in the entire book- Germaine Greer. If you are purporting to write a book about modern feminism, I'm not sure whether that speaks to arrogance, ignorance, or extreme laziness, but it's hardly impressive.

It could be argued that this book has some utility if it introduces WAG-obsessed young female readers of celebrity gossip magazines to a semblance of feminist ideas, in a language they'll readily identify with. But as a commentary on modern feminism for the mature, intelligent woman, it's a dead loss. If that's what you're looking for, give this a miss and try Natasha Walter, Maureen Dowd or Barbara Ehrenreich instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Funny bits - and bits to flip past, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
I really like Moran's descriptions of her life, frank, funny and original. Where this falls down for me is in two ways - firstly when she's not writing about actual happenings but ideas she really does repeat herself an awful lot - taking a whole para to say something three times three slightly different ways. This is something I really hate about newspaper journalism and I suspect that's where she picked up the habit. Secondly, partly because of this, she goes on and on about feminism and fat culture and god knows what else in ways that just aren't engaging. A shame, as I say, because what she writes about her experiences is really interesting. I'm glad I didn't buy this book - and it's going swiftly back to the library.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 7 Aug. 2011
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
First of all I was really impressed with the low price- especially seeing as the book is relatively new. I bought it having seen Caitlin Moran on TV and thinking it sounded like an interesting book. It was! It manages to be very amusing (laugh out loud in fact, be wary of reading it on public transport), emotional (the chapter on abortion is particularly moving) and actually quite sensible and informative. I like the way it's divided into sections, making it good to keep as a sort of "life guide" when you need a it of motivation about something specific. I finished it feeling enlightened and slightly liberated, and I'd recommend it to any woman (or man, in fact, if they don't get squeamish about certain biological processes) with a good sense of humour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memoirs of the woman who is considered a symbol of modern literary feminism, 5 Mar. 2014
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
‘How To Be a Woman’ written by Caitlin Moran is a memoir book in whose company you will (for the most part) have a good time, certainly many times it will make you laugh, and if you are a woman or even arguing for the rights of women, there is a good chance that it will become a reference to which you will sometimes refer.

Caitlin Moran is a published author since the age of 16 and she has been writing columns for The Times since 1992, mainly on culture topics. Among other awards she received, Moran was acknowledged as Columnist of the Year, Critic of the Year and Interviewer of the Year. She is often used as symbol of feminism writing but unlike some similar authors, Moran’s texts regardless of the seriousness of the issues she is speaking about are rich in humor.

Moran grew up in family of eight children where she was the oldest child; together with her sisters and brothers she lived not in excessive abundance that she later compared to Hunger Games what heavily influenced on her life attitudes and events that have marked the rest of her life – Moran revealed that she left home as soon as she was able to that, at the age of 18.

She did not go to school regularly and had been officially home educated from the age of 11; later she admitted that all of the kids in their family didn’t receive proper formal education from their parents during childhood, though it was unusual to hear that the local government allowed their parents to do everything they want with their children education because they were "the only hippies in Wolverhampton".

Given that she had a lot of free time, and obvious talent that could not remain hidden, Moran received her first literary contest award when she was 13 years old. That was only the beginning of her awards for which she deserved job position as a journalist for Melody Maker, the weekly music publication, at the age of 16. Year later she started working on TV where she became host of music show hosting many artists that were new on the scene such as Blur and Manic Street Preachers.

Her memoirs ‘How To Be a Woman’ in which she recounted her life not so long in duration, but rich in events in an interesting and humorous way, became internationally successful and it was translated in numerous languages. Moran is good story teller, especially when in a convincing and detailed manner is telling about her childhood, in many times managing to make reader smile. Despite their family poverty, she despised the idea of being pitied, what she successful avoided even when she was a child writing her diary.

She opened each of her chapters with some event from her life that explains creation of her particular feminist belief and then discusses the issue by inviting the reader to consider her arguments. Some of topics she speaks about, such as decision to have an abortion, are very good and manage to enter deep and well in subject, especially when she includes her own experiences. On the other hand Moran many times goes into generalizations when she speaks about particular subjects, dividing men and women in order to emphasize some point that makes her book for some parts somehow superficial. Also (which is probably a concession to younger generations) she uses the language that is these days encountered on the Internet, full of abbreviations and caps lock which does not seem the most appropriate for book format.

Still, ‘How To Be a Woman’ will be a book easy to read, for the most part interesting and funny, and is likely to appeal especially to women who consider themselves the distinct feminists. For others in the end it might seem that the author in some ways just scratched the surface and that the radicalism of attitudes cannot be equated with full knowledge of the subject matter on which the story is about.

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2012)