5.0 out of 5 stars Prime Time - heading for the third age
Published on 25 Sep 2011 by nenerj

3.0 out of 5 stars prime time: love,health ....
I am a great fan of Jane Fonda, having followed her workout tapes and books in the 80s - this book, however, goes over previous stuff with a small amount of new information - i already have her workout videos and DVDs, so that section, i didn't need. Not as good as her previous prime time book.
Published on 23 Sep 2011 by Mrs. Irene Webber

5.0 out of 5 stars Prime Time - heading for the third age, 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: Prime Time: Love, Health, Sex, Fitness, Friendship, Spirit; Making the Most of All of Your Life (Hardcover)
I came across this book at the point at which I am staring retirement in the face with some trepidation. This is a book that encourages me to view my `third age' from a different perspective, to consider myself freed from the constraints of being responsible for and to others and fom being defined by my profession. It inspires me to look for the real `me' again. So it was a great read.
It pulled into focus the fact that I don't really know 'me' any more, that over the years, I have become 'blurred round the edges', and that now it is time for me to `morph' into a new role.
The book suggests that I should go with the flow and allow new options to open up, that I should exchange the need for goal setting with a willingness to engage in living. However,this should not be by sitting around and waiting for something to happen, but by `putting my oar into the water - and pulling.... at my own pace.'
As I read, I did, initially, find the continual American references a little jarring, but as I read on I realised that it didn't matter, the concepts are international.
It was a very affirming read and I feel that it has encouraged me to look forward to my third age with the conviction that the best is yet to come, that the girl I was, a girl with attitude and a mind of her own, is making a come back. After all, if not now - when?
If you are a woman facing that third age - try reading it, it might just spur you into a much more positive frame of mind as you look to the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane on Life, 8 Sep 2011
Rama Rao "Rama" (Annandale, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
Many of us remember Jane Fonda for some of her greatest movies, while few others remember her for her activism during the Vietnam War. Fonda's early fame came through her work in film industry and in the 1980s she became the fitness guru for many fans and keep-fit enthusiasts. In her new book, she covers every aspect of life. At the age of 73 with a new hip and knee she seems to be at peace; being older and wiser. Reading through this book is also a confessional and autobiographical in nature, which made me remember Shirley MacLaine's recent book, "I'm over all that: and other confessions," where she also touches upon very similar issues of life. It is interesting to know these two women of Hollywood bring similar wisdom to their listeners.

One would certainly like to know what it is like to be the daughter of a Hollywood icon. What we saw in the classic movie "On Golden Pond" was a true reflection of her relationship with her dad? She had great fondness for her father and respect in her heart which was seen when she reminisced about her father on TCM channel, and now in this book. "And Dad could not deal with emotion, he just couldn't," she continues. "He didn't know what to say, and if we had cried - which of course I wouldn't - he wouldn't have known what to do. But what can you do? Forgiveness. He did the best he could. I knew the kind of person that he wished he was. And I loved him." She continues, about who her father was and who he wished to be "is one of the reasons that I try to live my third act in such a way that I won't have regrets," Fonda says. "You never get there entirely, but you can spend your life working at it." In this book, she dishes her private life; sordid details affairs with co-stars; a swinging sex life with her first husband, Roger Vadim, and she partied with Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate. Second husband Hayden treated her like dirt and used her as a piggy bank for his left-wing radical causes. Third husband Ted Turner was a right-wing media mogul and an environmental hysteric. She regrets she didn't sleep with Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara.

After costarring with Jennifer Lopez and Lindsay Lohan, She says, she tried to mentor Lohan unsuccessfully: "She would see me coming and she'd flee," Fonda says. "For Lindsay to create a new norm, I would have to wrap my arms around her, or someone would, and take her far away, for a long, long time. I don't think she would allow it to happen. Her norm is chaos. Of course, when you know that about somebody, you can't help but love them."

Fonda is upbeat throughout the book and she recalls stories about her own struggles with self-esteem, relationships and health. She has plenty to say about retirement planning; according to this fitness guru, do not abuse alcohol, try to get enough sleep, and keep exercising; these are the graceful way of retiring.

1. On Golden Pond [DVD]
2. I'm Over All That: and Other Confessions
3. My Life So Far

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Fonda's latest book, 16 Sep 2011
Mrs. L. C. Jones "L. Jones" (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
Still reading it and thoroughly enjoying it. A must read for anyone entering their third Act as she puts it. Inspirational and uplifting!

3.0 out of 5 stars prime time: love,health ...., 23 Sep 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Not old-fashioned, but..., 24 Mar 2014
Mary Chats (Georgia (country)) - See all my reviews
The bulk of this book didn't really match the title, as it churned out endless quotes from experts, which makes it rather choppy, and if you really are a "Prime Timer" you have surely made most of the decisions on sleep , food and exercise over the decades we've read women's advice columns, including Jane's friend Oprah...So to have all this "eat your greens" stuff was a disappointment--one reads Joan Halifax sometime in our 40s or 50s, but by 60s and 70s we have an idea of meditation (if that's what we want), riding a bike or eating fewer calories (I wish writers would deal with counting carbs instead--a much more sustainable way to keep weight off). There were way too many family photos, which had not much to do with the content at all, so as I downloaded it and had to keep flipping pages to get past so much of what we already know or "stuff" that didn't concern us (family photos?). Perhaps this should be read by someone in their 30s? Good exercise tips for people who are sedentary or have limited movement, however. Exercise is indeed Jane's strong point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book., 23 April 2013
ON the whole an interesting and enjoyable book . A lot of wise and optimistic hints!A bit lengthy sometimes though.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Inspiring!, 2 Mar 2013
After purchasing some of Jane's Prime Time DVD's, I bought the book - so glad I did! It really kicked me into making changes to my lifestyle and after 8 weeks, the results are just fantastic. For anyone who's 'middle years' plus, this is an absolute must-have - along with Jane's accompanying DVD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every one of us should read it, 8 Feb 2012
Jane Fonda's book has something for all of us, not only older people like me.

I learned that I was not the only "old" one doing what I do, and also lots of more, and got encouraged by it. But younger ones can learn also about themselves and also to look to us differently.

Statistic too, but lots of personal stories, easy to read and informative too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Fonda at her best., 3 Jan 2012
This is a must for all Jane Fonda fans, and those of us who have grown up with her enthusiasm for life and learning about oneself.

ARRAY(0xabacf624)