The book as a whole is written like a magazine article.
There are some good bits of information.The sort you already mostly know but have forgotten.
However there are an awful lot of tips and suggestions that are only going to be possible if your life is already ok.You need money and you need good health.
I can't find anything in here that will help if like me you have health issues, and isn't that one of the biggest challenges for many as we grow older.?
To give an example of why this book frustrates and disappoints me.
The author tells you to spend some time each day with people you love. It doesn't tell you how to cope if you have become isolated and simply cannot see people that you love each day! It would have been more realistic to have at least given suggestions of what else you can do.....eg, texting, emails, letters. Which is what I aim to do to fill the gap.
Somewhere the author states "there is no excuse for grey hair until aged 75 or older" ! Maybe that will convey where this book is at and why I do not like it.
I think that the second half of your life could be about embracing the strengths of getting older, not still chasing the superficial values we all tend to go along with when we are younger.
Most of the advice is available from many other self help books. Not to mention our own common sense. This after all the second half of our lives !
This is not the book I am looking for.
11 comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2011
This is a rather basic book. It's difficult to comprehend the flood of rave reviews about its life-changing nature. And all written within a couple of days?
Curious about this, I clicked on the "see all my reviews" button for the first couple of dozen of the reviewers. Every one of them had only this review to their name.
How likely is it that 47 people who have never reviewed a book on Amazon before will rush to the computer on the same couple of days to write a gushing five-star review for this book? Bear this in mind before rushing to buy.
2222 comments|219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2011
Yet another cheery,relentlessly upbeat tome urging women to take control of their lives post-menopause.It is very simplistic and appears to be written by someone only just into the menopause herself.This constant exhortation for women over 50 to "show the world they matter" is incredibly patronising and another way of making them feel inadequate.
Everyone of us is unique.We have different personalites,histories,experiences and physical capabilities.The issues we confront on the threshold of ageing are complex,subtle and indicators of the soul's call for inner development.Focusing on "being a player" and acting from the animus is a failure to respond to the great quest of the second half of life.As Carl Jung said;" What works in the morning of one's life is not appropriate in the afternoon".
If you want an intelligent book about ageing ,read Angeles Arrien's"The Second Half of Life".The contrast will stagger you.
on 26 April 2011
I read an article by the author in a local newspaper over a year ago. So it had my interest piqued. When the book came out a few months ago, I went to hear the author speak on a book tour(although after hearing her talk I was really skeptical). I bought the book anyway. It is so badly written. I found it grating. It gave no "new advice" on how to make the 2nd half of your life better. It just created an enormous amount of envy for the author, who is very wealthy and can afford "all the help" she can get for making the 2nd half of her life better. She is truly blessed by having a very wealthy husband that allowed her the time for this over hyped self indulgence exercise.
I truly hated this book. The author is pompous. Don't buy this book. If you read the article that came out by the author about a year ago, that is all you need to know.
on 24 April 2011
I don't understand the reviews for this book. I picked it up at a bookstore and found it very run of the mill. No new information. No new revelations. Can someone please explain to me how a billionaire wife of a hedge fund owner can demonstrate to the masses what it is like to be over 50 and depressed? her life is 99.9% better than all of ours just for a start because of her $. She was able to quit work at a very young age and be on "art" boards because her husband has money and influence. She can take private pilates on a daily basis for 100 pounds/session. Give me a break!!!
on 11 February 2011
I'm very suspicious of the 47 reviews of this book which all sound remarkably similar, are without any criticism and all give it 5 stars.
on 20 September 2011
This seems to be to be a book written by a woman over fifty with time on her hands and who wanted to make some extra cash. It's the type of information that you find in woman's magazines. It is good if you are friendless and clueless. Personally if you find yourself a bit bewildered at fifty you'd be better off speaking to your friends and getting their views. I found it a bit depressing but if you feeling low when you hit the big '50' and want to think about it....It's not a bad book but it's not original and you could probably find better information elsewhere.
on 17 April 2011
The fact that Christa d'Souza reviewed this well persuaded me to buy it....what's more I bought it for a friend - an unfortunately embarrassing decision on my part! As one customer has implicitly suggested, there may be more to the 5 star customer reviews than meets the eye. And I can only assume Christa, Ruby et al. are close mates with Jill but for the life of me I can't think why they would have put their reputations on the line for this particular piece of work. This book is the biggest load of self indulgent tosh I have ever come across. There's nothing new or original on any of the 275 turgid pages and it's not even particualry well written. I remain hugely irritated that my 2 purchaes have contributed to a royalty payment - don't fall into the same trap.
on 12 March 2011
Well I like this book. I probably fall on the positive side of the middle in terms of my critique. I found the notion of changes in the brain suggesting different pre-occupations for later decades of life especially intriquing: boy, I sure wish the author would have gone into more detail about that! As someone just one year away from being 60, I appreciated the assumption of the 60s, 70s, 80s & possibly 90s being before me. My mood at the time I purchased this book was less than 'get on with it'. I felt kicked into gear & less sunk after reading it. The five-a-day is a simple reminder & the persist assertion of the six days a week exercise & making connections echoes other health & well-being books I've read on aging. The association to advice & encouragement at a teenager into youth stage made by another review feels correct to me: however, unlike that reviewer, I liked being reminded of my younger, determined to have a future self. I knew most of some parts of this book & was not interested in other parts. Surely that is not the author's fault & likely to be true of readers of 'second half of life' age. I have used this book as a tool to reactive a hopeful gateway into that 'make it good' part of myself. Yes, I noticed the slightly grandiose & better off economically assumptions leaking through bits of the book, but so what? Surely being discerning is part of being women in the second half of life. I was very pleased to have something written for the UK audience!
on 23 September 2013
It insight into the menopause was enlightening. It gave me hope that one day the many symptoms both physically and an emotional level were real and just constructed in my mind.. It explained in detail how women feel after the change and gave a medical overview of what happens when the body stops producing the female hormones..