4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great ideas
Published on 27 May 2013 by Debby

2.0 out of 5 stars quick meals? i dont think so
most of the meals takes an hour, much longer than what i was expecting ... i also don't like the book design its so busy and confusing, would have been better to make it much more simpler
Published on 4 Sept. 2011 by bmassoud

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars quick meals? i dont think so, 4 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Top 100 Meals in Minutes: All New Quick and Easy Meals for Babies and Toddlers (Hardcover)

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, 30 Aug. 2011
I feel misleaded by the title of the book, I was expecting recipes that I could make my son in say 10 - 15 mins but what I got was recipes that take much longer. Most take 30 - 60 mins. The recipes are lovely, they should have just named the book 100 Top Meals and then I wouldn't feel so conned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Meals in hours, not minutes, 3 Sept. 2011
C. Gilchrist (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I agree with the other reviewers that the title of the book is deceptive. As a working mum I was looking for recipes that would be ready in 10 minutes. Some of the recipes take 60 minutes - far too long. The book is beautifully presented, but really not what I was looking for. If you're thinking about buying this I'd suggest borrowing it from your library before you buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 25 Sept. 2011
The title of this book is very misleading. Along with a lot of other people i was expecting to be able to make the meals 'in minutes' just as the title suggests, but it is just the same as the other recipe books ( Which are very tasty and my little one does enjoy them, just expected quick meals!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Disappointing, 25 Sept. 2011
My older children were brought up on Annabel Karmel's earlier books which never disappointed and still sit on my bookshelf, however with a new baby on the scene I've recently purchased this book and seriously wish I hadn't wasted my money. As with other similar reviews the recipes can hardly be described as "meals in minutes" more like an hour or so. When you have hungry mouths (of various ages) to feed you need something quick and easy this just isn't one of those. I was advised by a friend to try a new author who featured at Oxford Food Festival recently - Beverley Glock's 500 Baby and Toddler Foods and having got hold of a copy am recommending this to all my friends as an alternative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great ideas, 27 May 2013
Debby (Nottingham, Notts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is great I looked through it and realised to make many of the recipes you need spices and sauces so I went through the book and bought most of the staple Ingrediances so now I can make most things from what I have at home the book is a little all over the place but the recipes are simple and easy to follow and are labeled well for freezing purposes my son so far hasn't turned anything down which is great and I've batched cooked portions and frozen them now so if I'm stuck I just get a pouch out and at least my sons still getting a home cook meal

5.0 out of 5 stars St Annabel does it again, but not in Minutes, 18 April 2014
Whilst I would disagree about the 'minutes' ... all the meals are less than an hour, I am working through this book with my boys age 4&8, and exposing them to new tastes I wasn't sure where to start with. Looks like the smaller one likes curry! Nice and clear if you can freeze them or not. I have a few extra portions in the freezer ready to reheat on Busy Days

2.0 out of 5 stars Meals in 55 minutes more like..., 30 Aug. 2011
S Miller "sophie_on_a_stick" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I had a romantic view that this book would be quick and easy meals. They are, if you're a gourmet chef...
There are a couple of quick recipes for younger babies, but flicking through the book, there are a lot of much longer recipes. I was hoping for some inspiration for meals that I could whip up in 20 minutes after work for my toddler. A lot of the recipes are a lot fancier than I would even eat unless it was a special occasion.

The recipes are great quality as you would expect from Annabel Karmel and I have yet to find a recipe of hers that isn't tasty, but this is not really what it claims to be on the cover.

She's really stretched the definition of minutes...

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes, but cannot be made in minutes!, 4 Aug. 2012
I already own some other Annabel Karmel books but found that the recipes to take a while to cook, therefore thought this book would be ideal. Sadly I was disappointed, many recipes take an hour to cook, even ones that look fairly simple are 20 minutes plus. Also found it confusing to understand which age range each recipe was for. The recipes themselves however are good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many minutes for a hungry toddler!, 27 Oct. 2011
I have a few of Annabel Karmel's books and on the whole find them very useful if not a little fiddly (who has time to make salmon footballs for your 9 month old?).

My son is a hungry boy as a keen cook and lover of good food it is really important to me that my boy is fed home-made nutritious food. However, like many Mum's I have now had to return to work and three days a week I have a mad dash from work to nursery to home in time to get dinner down him and bathed and bed before a meltdown.
In this book I was looking for ideas and short cuts that would allow me to make him food in 5-10 minutes without resorting to fish fingers and beans. In that respect I was hugely disappointed. Of the main courses (I am not counting baby purees) only 13 or so can be made in under half an hour and one of those is sandwiches - which I hardly need a recipe for, another is oriental cod balls with plum dipping sauce, which although delicious sounding I suspect will take me longer than 25 mins to create with a needy toddler hanging off one leg.

Overall the recipes look delicious and I will certainly be trying a few of them but if you are looking for quick food for hungry children this is not the answer. I should also mention that there are fewer recipes for younger babies than some of her other books. I would instead recommend buying a cookbook like the baby-led weaning one which the whole family can enjoy then investing in some decent tupperware and batch cooking if you want home-made meals quickly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›