5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS BOOK
This book is amazing. It truly is a no fuss way to make bread. After tasting two different loaves, my sister and my mum begged me for the recipe. So I've ordered another two books for them.

You basically throw the ingredients together, let them rest, then pop it in the fridge, where it keeps for about two weeks until you're ready to use it.

When...
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by Mrs. G. M. B. MANN

3.0 out of 5 stars Major Conversion Errors
The basic priciple in the book is great (in fact Peter Reinhart in 'Artisan Breads Every Day' seems to have been converted to this technique).
However, there are conversion errors in the recipes
The Master Recipe (p 44) gives a bakers percentage for water of 78.3% if the imperial units are used and 83.3% if metric units used.
This carelessness is a major...
Published on 17 Oct 2011 by N. Mawby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS BOOK, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Five Minute Bread: The revolutionary new baking method: no bread machine, no kneading! (Hardcover)

When you want some bread, you take some, quickly shape it, leave it to rise for 30 mins, then bake.

Fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does take only 5mins!, 15 April 2011
I was sceptical about this book at 1st. Whilst not an expert I've made bread the traditional way for many years so I wasn't sure if this could work, but it does! I made my 1st loaf today; it looks and smells good and more importantly its delicious! Now convinced ( and you will be after just one loaf) I'm keen to try out the other recipes in the book - cinnamon and raisin bread next I think ;-)

If you love good bread, but are put off making your own as traditional bread making takes too long, then this is the book for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Major Conversion Errors, 17 Oct 2011
N. Mawby - See all my reviews
However, there are conversion errors in the recipes
This carelessness is a major drawback.
I queried this on the authors website, and just got 'stick closer to 78% hydration'.
So it looks as if the imperial units are closer to the original American recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars prepare to become obsessed!, 5 Jan 2012
I have never mastered the art of bread making - it seemed too long, complicated and laborious. I have stuck to making the odd batch of soda bread (an instant bread) and buying rubbish shop white-sliced. However re-reading the list of ingredients in packaged bread gave me fresh determination and I felt that there must be a better way! There is! I came across this book by chance in a bookshop and with no space for a breadmaker it seemed like a good idea, although I was skeptical. I am not a baker and not even a very good cook - but my first loaf was good enough for me to be very excited! It was so easy and so quick. I soon started experimenting with the different recipes and soon learnt the importance of quality fresh flour.
I have not bought bread in over 2 months now and we always have a loaf on the go. I would say that the bread is much better once cooled, it keeps for several days in the fridge (although its always eaten within 3 days in my house). The basic dough can also be used for pizza bases which taste great. The recipes are easy to play around with - adding vegtables, dried fruit, herbs etc... I have converted many friends and family members who were initially very cynical.
The only draw back is needing room in the fridge to store the dough - although i no longer need space to store shop bread.
Buy this book and prepared to become fanatical!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and really good bread, 15 Sep 2011
Five minute bread is a fab book. I cook alot and was a little unsure how or even if this concept would work...it does!
If you are a busy housewife, mother, partner or someone who just loves the idea of fresh gorgeous bread whenever you fancy, this is the book for you.
I have a breadmaker, a great one that I love but I'm always 5 hours away from a loaf which is not convenient sometimes, how great to be able to snip off the dough I need and let it rest for 30 mins and bake. The crust is like the best french bread you buy in Paris and the smell is devine.
Give it a go! I think you will be suprised and delighted at the small amount of effort and the big results.
There are some nice recipes in the book too, my find of the year!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's just another way......., 8 Jun 2013
J. Maycock ""Just AM"" (West Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
I do feel the book sorts of double talk, like giving you the method, then gives you another method at the same time. I find a bit confusing, get past that and enjoy. The idea is good, just play with it, and practice, the bread does have a nice flavour, the dough takes five minutes to make, once you get past the 2 hour rise & 8 hour refridgeration, then it's up to you, you can have fresh bread in 40 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breadmaking needn't be a chore, 15 Feb 2013
C. Irwin "Shizzling" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'd been making occasional loaves using the No Knead Bread technique and having some success. However, I found that leaving the dough to prove too long could still result in patchy results.

While looking on various forums to see if overproving was my problem I stumbled upon references to the 5 Minute Artisan bread method that is covered in this book. It has similarities to the No Knead technique (stir ingredients to combine, wet shaggy dough, no kneading) but it differs in that after the initial rise the dough goes into the fridge and can be drawn off as needed.

I've been using the technique for a few weeks now, have cooked over a dozen loaves and have yet to have one that isn't delicious.

The book has 2 sets of measurements - metric and imperial - I stick to the imperial. I measure the water and flour pretty accurately. With the flour I'm using I add an extra ounce to the recipe for the basic boule dough and it comes out great.

I've not had a batch of dough last more than a week - it gets baked sooner than that - but I find that the dough has more 'spring' (rising in the oven) in the first few days after the dough is made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread tastes too good to eat just a slice or two..., 12 May 2011
Coffee & Vanilla "Margot" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm amazed how fast and easy bread making can be and a little bit angry that I did not read one of their books before... As a mother of 3 children I can never find enough time but now at least I can bake my bread whenever I feel like and it honestly does not take me more than 5 minutes a day (!)

The only minus of this book is that the bread tastes too good to eat just a slice or two...

5.0 out of 5 stars simple to use, 22 Oct 2013
well I'm making my own bread by hand using this method now. You get clear instrucions, though it's worth searching you tube for a video version too. There are a range of great looking bread recipes. What can I say, the bread I make isn't as beautifulas theirs, but it is tasty. Try Spelt flour if you find the modern wheat a bit too glutenous for the old digestion.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I know this now., 3 July 2013
I have had chronic fatigue and though much improved still find the idea of kneading bread more than I can cope with. I came across this book by chance and today made bread for the first time in a few years. I am so happy, the loaf is lovely and fluffy inside with an ok, though not perfect crust (maybe would have been if I had been able to resist eating some before it was cold).

Even 'normal' bread recipes rarely give perfect results, so it seems churlish to criticize this in any way. It is liberating to know bread doesn't need to be kneaded and dough can be kept in the fridge for a fortnight! I am looking forward to trying out the dough as it matures as I love sourdough bread.

I am going to be impressing visitors with bread magicked from the fridge and cooked under their very noses!
The only problem I have with this is how much bread I am now going to be eating when I am trying to lose some weight!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›