5.0 out of 5 stars I Could Have Read More and More...
The only things I was really expecting from Sue Johnston's autobiography were that it would be funny in parts, have some insights into the TV worlds of Brookie, The Royales, being Grace in Waking the Dead and from the title `Things I Couldn't Tell My Mother' I hazarded a guess that either Sue had some skeletons in her cupboard or her relationship with her mother might be...
Published on 1 Sep 2011 by Simon Savidge Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars passable
As the title suggested to me it might be a bit interesting gossip-wise and personal life wise unfortunately to sum it u,p its all work and no play! Although it was a god read to find out about her work and life
Published 10 months ago by S

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An open, honest account of Sue's life - unputdownable!, 1 Nov 2011
M. V. Bridge "Book lover" (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things I Couldn't Tell My Mother: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
Sue tells of her life in very open and honest terms. She is a wonderful actress and throughout her career has met and worked with many "celebrities" but she remains a down to earth person who is true to herself. Her life has not been easy but she has soldiered on and made the best of everything whilst remaining steadfast to her chosen career in spite of never having received the full and open support of her mother. Sue's mother found it very difficult to show love, affection and support to her only daughter and with many children, even as adults, this could have proved too hard to accept and could have manifested itself in anger and resentment and a very estranged relationship. However, instead of rejecting her mother as many would have done, Sue accepted her mother as she was, although hurtful at times, and continued to be a support to her mother right to the end of her parent's life. Deep down Sue knew that her mother did love her but wasn't able to show it for some reason.
Once I began reading Sue's autobiography I couldn't put it down as I found every page interesting as Sue told the story of her life from childhood through to the present day. She is a very strong person with true beliefs of fairness and her love for her chosen art of acting shines through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Sue., 4 Jun 2014
The best autobiography I've read in ages. A very honest and moving account of a lovely person. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! A MUST BUY.
DAVID

5.0 out of 5 stars So sad I've finished, 24 May 2014
I laughed. I cried. It's a story many women could identify with, I'm sure. I'm so pleased that Sue had the opportunity tell her mum how good her childhood was. Eventually finding her mum's store of cuttings and knowing she was proud in her own way. I could have read so much more and my only criticism that I felt there was and is still so much more to say. I'll recommend this to family, friends, my children and my MUM.....

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 23 May 2014
I love a good story especially knowing its true cant wait to get stuck in with a nice cuppa and off we go

5.0 out of 5 stars Sue Johnston, 11 April 2014
It is such a common thing. One cannot always confide in one's Mother, It is understandable, She is such a treasure

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 9 April 2014
Sue's autobiography was really good reading, I enjoyed the early years in Liverpool and was surprised
on a few things she wrote. The places she mentioned in Liverpool in the 60's I also remember being a
Scouser. Sorry Sue but the later years and the political chapter I found hard reading, but as it is your
autobiography and this is what you are I am not making any negative comments, you are still one of my
favourite actresses, and I certainly would not take a star of for any of the chapters in the book. It's a great
read, funny, sad, and very Sue Johnston.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 28 Mar 2014
Biographies are always fascinating but particularly when they are written by actors and this one is no exception. It was so interesting to read about what was going on in Sue Johnston's life when she was playing different roles on stage and screen. Her caring, but realistic view of her mother was heartening for everyone who has a difficult relationship with their parents and who then have to care for them at a later stage. But most of all it was written in a way that kept me interested throughout and I looked forward to getting back to it each time I picked it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 15 Mar 2014
I have always loved watching Sue Johnston in the Royal Family so I bought the book to read more about her. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things I couldn't tell my mother, 5 Mar 2014
Straight from the heart, down to earth book.
Understood and recognised how she felt at times with certain things when she had to make decisions.

3.0 out of 5 stars passable, 18 Feb 2014

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Things I Couldn't Tell My Mother: My Autobiography
Things I Couldn't Tell My Mother: My Autobiography by Sue Johnston (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2011)