4.0 out of 5 stars Corey's Sins
Published on 29 Aug. 2011 by Tommy Turbo

3.0 out of 5 stars Seven Deadly Sins, really?
I was really looking forward to reading this, as I am a big fan of Slipknot and Stone Sour; however, this book by Corey Taylor is somewhat a disappointment to what the title indicates.
Published on 18 Dec. 2011 by S.M.

4.0 out of 5 stars Corey's Sins, 29 Aug. 2011
Tommy Turbo (Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Hardcover)
This book looks into the seven Deadly Sins from the mind of Corey Taylor. Corey humorously tells all about the sins from his beliefs and one of those beliefs is that they are not sins. While also inserting little stories about his own personal life that are relevant to the sin he also makes you think and use your own views rather than just agreeing with him. The only issue I have with this book has been with Amazon themselves who sent me the book five weeks after the UK release date. The book is well worth a buy, a read and a laugh.

Tommy Benn
Bradford, England

3.0 out of 5 stars Seven Deadly Sins, really?, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Hardcover)
Corey seems to spend most of his time contradicting the whole point of a sin by explaining each one individually and how they 'relate' to his past life, then turns round and says, actually it's not a sin because we are allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. So, the point of this book is...?
Secondly, his 'confessions' appear slightly censored and details are glossed over for the reader to try to fill in the blanks. My impression of autobiographical account is you unleash all, which is what I would expect from such an intelligent writer/ performer. With such a prolific status, Deadly Sins got me thinking of a no holds barred recount of his life, I found it rather tame.
I must not be completely pessimistic! Yes, it is very well written and it is without doubt the Corey is a very intelligent man, but I expected more. Maybe that was just my high expectations of him.
This book does give you an (slight) insight into his life; however, the majority is made up of what Corey thinks about the world around him and the people who fill it. I am sure many Slipknot and Stone Sour fans will find it an interesting, brilliant read. It is worth a read if you want to find out someone else's opinions about life, which is why I awarded it three stars.
Obviously, I was expecting something more, without contradictions... maybe that is my sin...?

4.0 out of 5 stars Whether you agree or disagree with what Corey Taylor is saying...he's got something of value to say., 23 May 2015
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Paperback)
For those who don't know me, or who aren't familiar with my music reviews as this wanders into this realm. Yes, I am a Corey Taylor fan. Yes, I think his music is fantastic with both Slipknot and Stone Sour. I believe this man has talent oozing from his pours. But, everyone who knows me knows when it comes to critiquing anything be it book, album, gig, widget(!) I'm honest in my opinion as I see it. If I like it, I like it. If I don't I will say so! I've slated music by some of my favourites in the past because they've banged their heads and written something in a coma and if I had read this and felt the same about this book and Corey Taylor I would say so. Overall though I didn't, did I agree with everything he said? No, but what he did was to create a lot of food for thought, and that I liked.

I've had Seven Deadly Sins: Settling the Argument Between Born Bad and Damaged Good on my shelf since around the time it was released, I went through a phase of buying every heavy metal biography that came out at that time and I got a bit sick of them and stopped reading them. That there was my first mistake as this is not a bio. I repeat this is not a biography, auto or otherwise!

Yes there are autobiographical moments in there, snippets of Corey Taylor's life to support what he is saying, to give an example. But they are anecdotes to add flavour and show that this man has experience in what he is talking about, the seven deadly sins.

In this book Corey Taylor takes the Seven Deadly Sins, namely Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, and Pride, and he explains in his own unique way firstly why he doesn't believe they are deadly and secondly why he doesn't believe they are 'true' sins.

Now, I was brought up under Christian doctrine, I was brought up to believe in the the seven deadly sins, to go to church and so on. But because of how my life unravelled, through childhood and into adulthood. Not because of my mental illness but because of things that happened to me abuse, rape and so on.

I seriously doubted what I was taught to believe. I have huge issues with Christian teachings, I like the ethos, but when you get into details, that is where I have problems, as I read further into this book I started feeling a kinship with Corey Taylor, finding he was verbalising many of the issues I have with religion.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a bible bashing book, but it questions organised religion, the hypocrisy, something which I question daily when I watch the news and see the awful things people do to each other in the name of religion.

Other things that come up in this book are focused on politics, the financial crash, fake celebrities (I'm proud to say I had no idea who some of the one's mentioned were and I resisted the urge to Google their names deciding being in the dark was a safer place).

At the end of the book Corey Taylor discusses what he feels the seven deadly sins should be, I can't say I disagree with him, even when he puts bad music in at number 7! He knows he'll get some stick for this but when you read his reasons why, which I absolutely agree with you'll understand! The others though are no brainers and make so much more sense, they are there because they are despicable acts against other human beings. Unforgivable acts that deserve the worst punishments known to man.

This book is part rant, part food for thought. Corey Taylor is a passionate man and this comes through in his writing. He is funny and he has lived. He is not afraid to tell sordid stories, and if he shocks you all the better for it.

Some of this book is funny, some sad, at moments I wished someone around me had read, was reading so I could discuss it with them. It's a book that makes you want to talk. Whether you agree or disagree with what Corey Taylor is saying...he's got something of value to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven shitey sins, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Kindle Edition)
Corey hits the nail on the head when he speaks about the so-called 'deadly sins'. With stories of his life experiences, he teaches you that to sin is to be human and you can't beat yourself up about these outdated 'laws'. His blend of humour and philosophy will keep you entertained until the very end! I loved it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME! BUY IT NOW..., 20 July 2011
Mistee (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Hardcover)
I don't often get time to sit and read a good book these days and if I did, I certainly wouldn't pick up an autobiography...

...but this, well this I had to make an exception for...

...and boy am I glad I did!

Corey tells it as he sees it and as he lived it....its not just autobiographical, but quirky, with a good bit of dark humour thrown in for good measure!

It's had me laughing my self silly but has also truely inspired me. while I might not have lived the life of a rock star, we all know and can relate to the seven so called deadly sins and whether you agree with his arguments for and against or not, this is still a magical read!

Weather your a Slipknot or Stone Sour fan or not much of a fan at all (my mum is currently reading it...she'd kill me if I told you how old she is, but I'm in my 30's so she's no spring chicken!) You'll still enjoy this ride...

5.0 out of 5 stars corey supersedes all expectations, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Hardcover)
This book is the pinnacle of one mans amendment of the theory of social life and acceptance. Speaking aloud of what a majority think with the testicles to back it up and more experience than a 70 Year old hooker in Vegas. He has set a milestone in terms of honesty, sincerity and devotion. To a man who appears to leave no stone unturned, I recommend this book not only as a pleasurable experience, but as a self-help bible. This is one to stay on the pedestal. Well done Corey, you supercilious genius !

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on tight you're in for one hell of a ride ..., 20 July 2011
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Hardcover)
I've had this book on pre-order since Christmas 2010, and it was worth every minute of the wait. Corey gives a brutally honest insight into his life so far, underpinned and interlaced with his discussion on the seven deadly sins. This book will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will make you hold your breath in anticipation, but it will certainly not make you bored! It is very rare that a 'celebrity' will give such an honest insight into what made them who they are today and still maintain a down to earth humble attitude. The guy truly is amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not brilliant either, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Kindle Edition)
As a fan of Corey Taylor's musical work I was expecting great things from this, tho if I'm honest I wasn't really sure what I should be expecting.
After a while I started to find the ramblings about the seven deadly sins slightly tiresome , to a point where each time I thought about putting the book down I would find myself at the end of one of those ramblings that lead to an interesting and insightful story of his formulative years.
Not a great read, perhaps a tad self indulgent but certainly not the worst thing ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars exceeding expectations, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Kindle Edition)
Although not really a fan of Slipknot, even having unwittingly seen them live in the past, I certainly knew of Corey Taylor and stumbled upon this book via one of my many Amazon browsing sessions and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Great subject matter, handled both objectively, yet providing funny, personal narratives to illustrate points which Iiked. Also quite a big fan of his stream of consciousnes approach to this book and his witty, sometimes cutting, writing style. Enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good read - Surprisingly more intelligent that I expected, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Kindle Edition)
So it's definitely not an autobiography as such so If this is what you are expecting I would say to give this a miss. Corey does draw on a few experiences (some a little disturbing) to support his theories on the seven deadly sins and his views on life in general. I enjoyed reading this and have a new found respect for Corey as he is honestly a very intelligent man and has a wicked sense of humour too! I found myself chuckling out loud at times and quite shocked at others. All in all, I recommend.

Seven Deadly Sins
Seven Deadly Sins by Corey Taylor (Hardcover - 14 July 2011)
Used & New from: £2.29