5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously funny
I bought this book on a whim (not from Amazon I should confess) as I very much enjoyed the Radio 4 comedy show that inspired it. I expected it to be funny (which it is, very!) but it is also an important call for us, the electorate to get off our backsides and start taking an interest in what our elected officials are doing. We elected them, they work of us! It's is a...
Published on 19 Feb. 2010 by Lawrence Sutcliffe

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a fun thing for sceptics
This is an amusing quick read, with plenty of wry chuckles to be had. It isn't going to form the basis of a new ideology but I do think one or two of the ideas could and should be implemented!
Published 16 months ago by Mel Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired policy making by the people for the people, 21 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto (Paperback)
As usual Mark Thomas manages to blend humour with a serious political point, this time pointing out that use ordinary folk are effectively excluded from the political process.

All of the manifesto policies were both thought of and voted for by the public. As such, some are well know political "wants" ignored by politicians (e.g. introducing the Tobin Tax), some of them absolutely inspired (e.g. any private health care companies using NHS-trained staff should pay the NHS a levy to reimburse it for the training costs) and some are just darn right funny (e.g. goats should be released into Parliament. MPs will be banned from referring to them!).

It's just a shame that because these policies were created by the people, for the people, they won't be used by the political parties because the general public's views just aren't important enough to matter. Instead of doing what they people want, they'll just carry on bailing out the banks etc. Never mind - the people have spoken and we have our own manifesto now!

5.0 out of 5 stars If politicians listened to the people we'd have much better manifestos, 22 Feb. 2010
E. Lewis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto (Paperback)
This is pure Mark Thomas - political, funny, and mischievous. I was at one of the shows and I read the book from cover to cover in about two hours; I laughed all the way through.

It also makes you think - if politicians listened to the people we'd have a more sensible set of manifestos, which would be legally binding (kerching! according to the lawyers) with a good dose of British character thrown in; along with the very practical and desireable manifesto items suggested and voted for in Mark's live shows, there are also items which would cheer us all up and give us something to talk about in the pub.

Mark Thomas for Prime Minister!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pocket gem, 9 Nov. 2010
F. G. Lelliott (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto (Paperback)
This little book is both thought-proviking and hilarious in equal measure. Some of the policies had me nodding in agreement (people who agree with ID cards should not have curtains or nets) or unable to recite out loud for laughing (dressing up Jaguars as foxes). My only disappointment is that I can't give it a 6-star rating!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny - Very Short, 21 Nov. 2011
Often hilarious account of the random suggestions that people would put up for discussion during Mark's tour.

Some sensible, and therefore not so funny. Some utterly stupid and should be brought in forthwith!

Great while it lasts, but I think the entire book lasted less than a full commute (roughly 2 hrs at the time).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 14 Feb. 2014
The People's Manifesto was always my favourite of the Radio 4 comedy shows and this book reminds me why.

It's not a long book, I read it in one sitting, but very funny - with a lot of hilarious and insightful commentary from Mark.

Highly recommend - whether you've heard the show or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Succinctly hilarious, 22 Dec. 2011
In true Mark Thomas style - funny, thought-provoking and refreshingly left- this was a joy to read. Some of the wilder ideas are mentioned as well. but never in a patronising way. If only the infamous focus groups came up with ideas at least half as good, or as entertaining as these.

4.0 out of 5 stars A funny little book, but great!, 11 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto (Paperback)
Mark Thomas is a comedian who had a radio show in which people gave suggestions of what they would want to do if they were politians - eg "Have the Daily Mail put on its front page 'We supported Hitler'" :D Some of them are great! Recommended if you like a giggle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 24 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto (Paperback)
Fantastic book, particularly for anyone who likes satire, political or particularly biting comedy (or anyone who is a fan of Mark Thomas!). It's only a little pocket book but the price (certainly when I bought it) reflects that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighthearted political comedy, 18 Jan. 2013
Denny (London, England) - See all my reviews
A bit more whimsical/shallow than much of Mark Thomas's material, this is still very much in keeping with his shows and other work. A fantastic mix of pointless giggles and very sharp political observations.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a fun thing for sceptics, 31 Dec. 2013

Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto
Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto by Mark Thomas (Paperback - 28 Jan. 2010)