5.0 out of 5 stars More charm and humour from Mr Wallace!
First of all, I am a lady, and I was in no way alienated by the title. I know what Danny's like. The Awkward Situations contained in this book, while written by a reputed Man, for other Men, are human experiences. I could absolutely relate. So if you happen to be in possession of a vagina, don't be scared off.

Secondly, this book starts slowly. My initial...
Published on 6 Jun. 2010 by Ms. A. Fruen

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed!
After the brilliance of previous books I was really looking forward to reading even more brilliance from Mr Wallace but I gave up reading this just over half way through as it didn't seem to 'go' anywhere. I won't be reading the sequel, that would just feel awkward....
Published 23 months ago by Cazzie

5.0 out of 5 stars More charm and humour from Mr Wallace!, 6 Jun. 2010
Ms. A. Fruen (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awkward Situations for Men (Paperback)

Secondly, this book starts slowly. My initial reaction was "Yes, but that could happen to anyone." It took a little while before I realised that was the point - these things can happen to anyone, and, consequentially, do happen to everyone. I don't know at what point Danny won me over, but by the bit with the canned tomatoes I was giggling so much that I was in serious danger of dropping my copy in the bath!

If you're not British and have always wondered about our peculiar attitude to manners, shame and dignity, this book will offer a valuable insight. If you are British, it will offer sympathy and companionship.

Danny writes with the usual charm and gentle wit that keeps me coming back to his books. Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect holiday read for a bit of light hearted amusement., 19 Sept. 2014
I bought this having read the "sequel", What Not to Do (And How to Do It). That was a book that had been left by the pool on my holiday, and having picked up the sundried, glue-failed book (minus the first 25 pages which had come unstuck and disappeared), found I couldn't put it back down.

This earlier book is much the same. Made up of small anecdotal stories, Danny Wallace intentionally comes across as a naive, dopey, geeky social misfit. I think what that achieves is to nail those awkward moments most men find themselves in at some point in their lives perfectly, amplifies them, and concentrates them into a book. The fact that he comes up with such funny stories shows that in fact he's anything but stupid - clearly he is very intelligent. So you don't know how true the stories are, but it feels like they're based on real events, and simply well embellished.

The fact is, you don't mind that one iota, because while each story's conclusion becomes almost predictable, they are still unique, and what really makes you laugh out loud is not necessarily the final punchline of each story, but all the golden nugget lines that you find interspersed throughout. And I can tell you, both this and the sequel had me laugh out loud on numerous occasions.

Some stories are definitely better than others, and at one point, about quarter of the way in, it felt as though they were deteriorating into a bit-too-silly territory. But thankfully it bounced back and in the main, most of the book is very, very good - and the sequel even better.

Well worth getting for your holiday.

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book for your downstairs toilet, 14 Sept. 2010
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Awkward Situations for Men (Paperback)
Awkward Situations for Men is a collection of weekly articles that Danny Wallace serialises in Shortlist magazine. The book is thrown together as a year in his life, but in reality the stories have largely nothing to do with each other with only one or two leading on from one another. They are a collection of everyday situations that most of us will have encountered and will empathise with our hapless man.

Danny has an uncanny knack of penning what we chaps are thinking, really hitting the nail on the head; I wasn't even aware anyone else had a rule for how frequently you can eat McD's!! From baby-expos to Hollywood sets to pub-chat, there is sure to be something you can relate to!

Each story is 2-3 pages long and has the same formulaic set-up; the premise - where Danny lays the situation out for us, the turn - where he introduces some sort of intrigue, drama or just plain awkwardness and finally, the resolution - which is often an anti-climactic statement, the laughs are largely derived from his hyberbolic rhetoric. This rise & fall of each individual tale is very methodical and provides a punch line and a laugh every couple of pages. But when trying to read this in a contiguous sitting it becomes very monotonous and you run the risk of losing the humour.

It is best picked up occasionally to read a couple of short tales then left alone for a bit, as a result it is a great coffee-table book or lavatory-literature. Recommended for a few laughs!!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Danny Wallace then you'll like this.., 30 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Awkward Situations for Men (Paperback)
As a fan of Danny Wallace's other books I was suprised to find this was in a slightly different format. It is set out as a set of short (just a few pages each) of observations and anecdotes from Danny. As Danny is roughly my age I found I could relate to a lot of his thoughts which at times made laugh and at other times squirm through recognition.
Having said that, I can imagine if you are from a different age group and have not yet read any of Danny's other books then this might not be the best one to read first. However, if you like Danny's adventures and are prepared to go with him away from his normal style (but still retaining his humour) then this is worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got to love this man, 2 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Awkward Situations for Men (Paperback)
I have loved Danny Wallace's books ever since "Join Me" and this book totally lived up to my expectations. I found myself laughing out loud at the ridiculous situations he finds himself in. The book is divided into chapters, all focusing on a different awkward situation Danny has found himself in. The chapter which made me laugh the most is the one where Danny organises for faxes to be sent to himself at a hotel so he seems important.

The reason why this book is so brilliant is that everyone has found themselves in awkward situations not too dissimilar to these so they can relate to them (although the book is "For Men", us ladies can also relate!). The funny parts come in Danny's reactions- he seems to react in a very unique way to these situations and inevitably makes things worse.

I have since convinced my mother to read Danny Wallace's books and she has completely fallen in love with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming snippets of Danny's life., 11 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Awkward Situations for Men (Paperback)
Don't be fooled into thinking this is a story. it's just a collection of tales written for Shortlist magazine compiled together. It's probably not the gripping read you want to take on holiday, but it's a brilliant book to be able to pick-up and put-down as and when you feel like it.
It's typical Danny Wallace really. OK, so it does lack the oomph of his earlier books like 'Yes Man' but that's to be expected with a compilation. But the stories flow nicely together to provide a warming all-rounder. The stories are too short to be boring and many of them you can relate too. And those people who've reviewed it saying most of the situations aren't believable then they obviously don't get out of the house much. I'm neither a minor celebrity nor a married man with a baby on the way but I could still relate. Heck, I'm not even a man!
Probably not worth £11.99, but when is anything ever full price on Amazon?!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny because it could happen to you, 28 Jun. 2010
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Awkward Situations for Men (Paperback)
In a change of style from his previous books, in which Danny Wallace wrote about the consequences of some unlikely challenges that he had set himself, his latest book comprises a series of short anecdotes about some of the embarrassing experiences that he has managed to get himself into.

Although this book is called Awkward Situations for Men I am sure that it will be enjoyed equally by members of both sexes because many of the awkward situations that Danny Wallace has written about are exactly the sort of situation that they could quite easily get themselves into. It is the comedy of embarrassment and it is made to seem funnier because we know that it could happen to us.

Because each `awkward situation' is quite short (usually not more than three or four pages long) this is an ideal book to dip into whenever you have the odd five minutes to spare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy read, 11 Jun. 2010
Joseph J. Morgan "Joseph-J" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awkward Situations for Men (Paperback)
I bought this after seeing Danny promoting it on TV, thinking it would be a good book to take on holiday with me.

I go away in a weeks time and I couldnt help myself: I have already finishsed it! The chapters themselves are fairly stand alone, but that just made me all the more curious to find out what the next one contained.

Very much enjoyed this book and I hope you will too!

Enjoy,

~Joseph-J

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed!, 13 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A Man Walks Into a Pub Story, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Awkward Situations for Men (Paperback)
If I wrote down every time I did something a bit awkward I would probably have a very full and depressing diary that I would not allow anyone to see. Thankfully, Danny Wallace in not me; although he appears to drop social faux pas as often as I do, he has decided to air the lot in public. ‘Awkward Situations for Men’ is a collection of Danny’s Short List articles combines into one easy to read book. Each story is approximately 3 pages long so this is more of a pickup and read for a bit book, than a sit down in one go. However, if like me you read it from cover to cover, there is some semblance of a through line as we follow Danny through a year that grows more important as it progresses.

I have always loved Danny Wallace’s writing since ‘I’m Dave Gorman’ and he has continued to produce some great non-fiction and more recently fiction. I certainly had misgivings about ‘Awkward’ as reading it feels a bit like sitting next to a friend with ADD in the pub. You would have one story on a topic, only for it to switch to something else. However, once you get into the rhythm of Wallace’s storytelling you get a sense that there is no narrative as such, but it does tell the story of one modern man in London.

It is the personage of Danny himself that makes the book so likable. He has a very polite way of moving through life that includes being as kind as he can and not making others feel uncomfortable. You would think that this would lead to an easy life, but can actually prove troublesome as you can come across as too polite for comfort. The stories of trying not to look intimidating when walking home or being mistaken for a deaf person in a chip shop are small glimpses what it is like to be a modern British man. It certainly helps that the author and I are similar ages and viewpoints, but this should not stop others from reading what is a very amusing and heartfelt collection of tales.

Awkward Situations for Men
Awkward Situations for Men by Danny Wallace (Paperback - 3 Jun. 2010)