5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Interesting & Fun
I am a huge fan of true life stories. This did not disapoint. The book was also interesting-factual-funny and i loved the era and nostalgia that goes with it. A very good readable read!! I have read some brilliant books of late inc two wonderful books by Mike Pannett and have just finished Kisses on a Post Card by Terence Frisby. At last something worth reading
Published on 18 April 2010 by Charlotte

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really about nursing
Like a previous reviewer, I was disappointed by this book. Most of the book was about Edith's previous jobs, and very little is actually about her time as a district nurse. I was very disappointed - if I'd have wanted to read about a woman working in a kennels, that is what I'd have bought a book about.
Published on 16 Feb 2011 by AbbieK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Interesting & Fun, 18 April 2010
This review is from: Nurse on Call: The True Story of a 1950's District Nurse (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars *great book*, 24 May 2010
C. Stride (UK) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the book, made me laugh and also parts that made me sad. The black country "wording" in parts also had me chuckling.
I wanted to share the humour because I was sat giggling to myself!
Love the true stories re nursing back in "the old days"
I also really liked Call the Midwife, Jennifer Worth -another excellent book!
Thanks Edith for this book

5.0 out of 5 stars nurse on call, 29 April 2010
What a brilliant book. Very interesting, very funny in parts and very easy to follow. Top marks to Edith for this one. I recommend this book to everyone especially to those readers like myself who did nurse training way back in Edith,s time. I was laughing out loud when I read about the time she spent working in the hospital, those bits were hilarious. But there is a whole chunk of sadness too, but I wont go into any details because it would spoil it for the readers but do get those tissues ready for this very moving story, so be like me, put your feet up and like me enjoy this good book. Thanks Edith,this was my kind of read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really about nursing, 16 Feb 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very interesting, more about dog breeding than nursing!, 27 Mar 2011
Didn't enjoy this book at all. It spends more time talking about dog breeding than it does about nursing which is what is was purchased for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Belly laughs on the NHS!, 11 Oct 2010
I am a child both of the fifties and of the Midlands, so this book was right up my alley!
The District Nurse was a familiar sight on the streets in those days, uniformed & usually pushing a big black bicycle with a basket up front to hold the black bag.
Nurse Edith Cotterill's memories of those days brought my own childhood flooding back and rarely have I laughed out loud all from the first to last page of a book.
My mother borrowed it and she couldn't put it down. It has since done the rounds of our family and friends.
Anyone aged over fifty will surely love this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hearty book,, 20 Sep 2010
I bought Nurse on Call after extreamly enjoying Jennifer Worths 3 books including Call the Midwife even though i am not a nurse myself. I found NOC quite hard to get into at first but after sticking with it, i was glad i had read it right through and stuck with it ... the book is about Edith Cotterill from child to elder including her ups and downs of life, i found that the book wasnt as much about nursing and the stories of her nursing career as expected. However i think she pulled it of with the very unexpected ending, Overall i enjoyed the book and recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest and disarming, 15 Aug 2010
Mrs. S. Biddulph (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, it's easy to read and brimming with characters from a bygone age. It takes in nurse training and the fear of matron, a young woman's rite of passage reaching adulthood and the dark days of World War 2 and the huge social change thereafter. It is well written but at times lapses into cliche, but it is heartfelt and genuine. I grew to love Edith Cotterill and her family and way past the last page I was willing things to be different for them. This book isn't in the same league as "Call the Midwife", but it is joyous, honest and innocent.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoy times past, 17 Jan 2011
not the most literate of books but a great insight into one family' life. a most enjoyable read and great value for momey

4.0 out of 5 stars An eventual warm-hearted book, 10 Jan 2011
S. Ambrose "la_femme_gentil" (Southampton, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
On beginning to read Edith Cotterill's book I was less than enthusiastic. As an ex nurse I am addicted to nurses' memoirs, but Nurse on Call appeared, at first, to go off at a rather odd tangent. I even thought that the title was slightly odd as it took some time for the nursing theme to become apparent. In addition, Edith Cotterill's style of writing seemed somewhat stiff and formal. I can only liken the first part of the book to talking with a stranger to whom you warm in time.
By the second half of the book the author had really relaxed into her story and let her natural warmth and humanity shine through. Towards the end of the book it is quite clear that she was an exceptionally humane and genuine woman whose moving accounts of the loss of her mother and daughter and also the family dog, Bosun, reduced me to tears.
There are also many chuckle-inducing anecdotes recounted about the patients encountered on her 'district' rounds. I think that whether you are a nursing story devotee or just enjoy the everyday reminiscences of daily life, this is an easy and enjoyable read.

ARRAY(0xaeb31018)

Nurse on Call: The True Story of a 1950's District Nurse
Nurse on Call: The True Story of a 1950's District Nurse by Edith Cotterill (Paperback - 15 April 2010)
5.03