Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 June 2011
I was just about to order this, I thought it was a sequel to Wener's memoir Different for Girls, which I've already read. Then I read the description properly and realised it's the exact same book in a different cover. Why are Amazon selling them as a buy together? I'll still give this five stars because Different for Girls was one of my favourite books of last year. It's really funny and honest, a must read for anyone who grew up listening to eighties music and remembers the whole nineties britpop scene. Just beware though, if you already own that book, this is the same.
on 10 June 2011
Be very careful. When Louise tweeted that this book was available I responded how much I had enjoyed "Different for Girls". To her credit she let me know that this is the same book in a different package. I now have the same book twice with two different titles and two different covers. Don't make the same mistake.
on 16 April 2014
This was a brilliant insight into the reality of life in a signed band during the Brit Pop era, I was in an Indy band in the mid ninties struggling to get that illusive deal, and a really fond memory of mine is watching Sleeper on what I guess was their final tour at the Town and Country Club in Leeds.. It was an amazing gig and a great night, it's reassuring to read that at that time when I was looking up and thinking I want to be where you are now, we really weren't in very different places in terms of the struggle and the turmoil.. Yet still these are some of my most revered memories and this book was a huge nostalgia trip for me..

Brilliantly written, very amusing and so brutally honest about the world of music.. Louise Wener was a brilliant lyricist and is a brilliant writer in general by the look of it.

Thank you for sharing..
on 2 September 2015
Enjoyed this, brought back a lot of memories of my early teenage years (Menswear! Echobelly! God I feel old now). Well written and she makes a better author than singer (by her own admission, she was no vocal superstar, though she was a great frontwoman and a good pop star for a short time). Light, fun reading at its best
on 28 September 2012
I loved this book - Louise Wener is nearly the same age as me so I totally related to the "Britpop" scene she described and the different bands. When I had read articles about her years ago she always seemed a little cold and defensive in print. How refreshing to see the real Louise, warm, witty, had me laughing aloud and wondering why Damon didnt share his cheese with her so to speak! Even name checked my favourite ever indie band which made me smile. I read this book in one sitting and it just left me wanting more.
on 15 April 2014
After reading the Big Blind (which I thought was fantastic) I have bought every book that Louise Wener has published. However, autobiographies are not really my thing and therefore I came to this with a little trepidation. As usual I was not disappointed, the author and I are of similar ages and much of the prose resonated with my own childhood memories. I always liked louise as a popstar finding her to be honest and straightforward in interviews and this also shines through here. Great to get a look behind the scenes of the music of my formative years. Can't wait for the next book.
on 6 March 2016
I lived through Brit Pop as a teenage fan and Louise Wener was an icon and inspiration. At a time when the Spice Girls were wanging on about Maggie Thatcher being "the original Spice Girl" and most of the Indie girls were still being used as knickers and vest poster girls, I loved Louise for her sharp tongue and no- nonsense. I just loved this book, and I love that she and Amdy survived unscathed to have babies with brilliant names.
on 20 March 2015
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Wener crafts an well-written voyage through the trials and tribulations of being a women in a male dominated industry. A numerous and honest account, this is one of the best autobiographies I have read. Highly recommended.
on 25 July 2014
Funny, witty and let's face it any experience that weird would be hard to make up! A great read with so many resonant references given we're both exactly the same age. Britpop had it's time and Louise obviously was there at the heart of it. Effectively written (and edited). Well paced and packed with humorous references of the moment. Recommended.
on 20 February 2013
I love this book. From taping the top 40 to being on Top of the Pops, this book takes you on a breathless journey. There is a telling moment where a fan cries at meeting Wener, not many pages after being a geeky kid, and you can see the ludicrous situation famous people find themselves in. But wait until you read her description of how Michael Stipe carries himself. A glorious book about a glorious time. National Treasure status beckons.