4.5 out of 5 stars1,861

on 8 August 2015
Interesting concepts and worth a read but with goblins and gremlins described in the early chapters I got a little bored and had to force myself through the large proportion of the book. Has opened my eyes to help understand my own behaviour and others therefore on balance think it worth the effort.
on 17 August 2014
This book is great. Seldom have I read a book that I firmly believe will change my outlook on life. It's given me a completely new approach to life and interacting with other people. I cannot recommend this book too highly, it is certainly well worth the money I paid for it. So good I read it twice.
on 3 February 2013
Very accessible and useful book. Manages to reduce the complexity of analytical psychotherapy into a number of simple drawings - not an easy undertaking. Many of us can be more relaxed and successful people by following his recommendations - but sadly it won't get you cycling as fast as Chris Hoy.
on 23 April 2012
This book is VERY clever because it is so easy to understand and apply. Steve Peters introduces a model of how our brains work (in particular the battles we have in our heads that can result in self-defeating and harmful behaviour) that enables us to take a step back and realise that we don't need to remain under the control of our knee-jerk, default reactions and emotions.

The book very quickly helps you to:
- recognise the battles going on in our heads and why they happen;
- learn to accept that battles go on and that you won't overcome them by will power;
- realise you can manage the way you react and deal with things - maybe not perfectly, but you can get better at it and many gremlins will go for good;
- you learn self control and learn to look outwards

This book asks you to take responsibility for yourself, in specific, easy-to-understand ways, but graciously and patiently.

It's one of the best books I have read in the self-help arena. It reminded me a lot of The Human Givens Approach for addressing depression, but it's application is much wider than that.

Cheaper than 2 pints of beer, you have very little to lose and possibly quite a bit to gain.
on 21 January 2015
This book has to be one of the best I've ever read in the sense of how much I got from it. I can't recommend this book enough and so much so I've told so many people about it who have since read it and said the same. This book should change your life if you follow it. Well worth the money and time
on 20 April 2014
This book was introduced to me by a friend and I was consequently attracted by its many positive reviews and the comments which they generated. It has not disappointed and I have found myself talking about it to others.
The style is simple and direct but reassuring rather than patronising. It works mainly through the persuasive force of metaphors, most notably that of the chimp but also through that of a personal universe or solar system of planets and it, perhaps necessarily, relies on reinforcing its central ideas through repetition.
My overall impression is that the author strives to genuinely help his readers in the manner of a concerned professional rather than attempting to just sell his ideas, and despite the simplicity of its presentation ( including the many cartoons which I quickly learned too ignore) the underlying ideas demand serious reflection and encourage a re-read.
The book frequently reminds us that we all have a different chimp so it seems inevitable (and you can see this in the reviews) that some individuals will resist its populist approach and demand something that is couched in more academic language. If you are open-minded I think that you will enjoy it.
on 17 October 2014
Enjoyed this and has added to my wisdom in terms of how I recognise situations in others and how I can manage myself better. I would say that it did ramble at times but the message is powerful which I have distilled what I can immediately use. A good book and I can see where its popularity lays.
on 21 November 2012
I read the book very quickly as I couldn't put it down. I am now re-reading the book, this time taking careful notes. I have already applied some of the exercises and I have started re-training my brain removing a few Gremlins as I go. I believe my life is already a better place because of it.
on 22 August 2014
Brilliant book and I would urge everyone to read it, if they have any serious self doubts about their inner confidence and why they react as they do to situations and people around them. It really is an interesting and life changing read. I think it should be compulsory for all young adults.
on 28 June 2013
Bit long and weird monkey stuff and all planets and that but also much interesting stuff about how to look at and seize control of your brain. Very interesting and useful. What starts out seeming patronising and simplistic becomes a useful and practical guide to helping oneself.