1,371 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life if you let it
Published 17 months ago by Andrew D Wright

2.0 out of 5 stars Planet of the apes
There is some sensible, if pretty straight forward, advice on controlling emotional reactions to situations and recognising emotional needs versus higher goals. However it is all wrapped up in chimps and planets and moons that simply distracts from the content. I'm not sure you could call it a programme either. The advice is not that structured.
Published 20 months ago by M. Lyons

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life if you let it, 14 Dec. 2013
Andrew D Wright "Andrew W." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Chimp Paradox: The Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness (Paperback)
Life-changing is over used hyperbole in the self-help 'new you' book market but that's exactly what this book is. Written in a very simple style it walks us through an intuitive model of how our minds work that's linked to what we know about the physical structure of the brain. If you read it carefully and do the exercises at the back of each chapter it will absolutely change your life.

The genius of the book is that Peters takes complex information about the physical structure of our brain and builds a complementary psychological model that explains how each part contributes to our 'in-mind' experience each and everyday.

The model is made of the following components;

There's our inner Chimp, the emotional part of our brain, designed by evolution to support our survival, it's thinking is characterised by feelings and paranoia, it works on impressions and interpretations, not facts and responds up to fives times faster than our rational brain.

There's our Human mind, which is rational, weighs up evidence and reaches careful and deliberate conclusions using cognition. It is where our highest values of humanity reside, it is where we can strategically plan our actions and think through the consequences of events and arrive at balanced and considered conclusions. It works five times slower than the Chimp.

And then there's the Computer, a bank of a remembered experiences full of automatic habits and responses, some good, some bad, the place where both our Human and our Chimp look for association and similar experiences when processing what's happening to us. The Computer works twenty times faster than our Human and four times faster than the Chimp.

Peters says that the first thing we need to do inside our heads is recognise these three powerful structures in our mind, if we do not we will always be running to catch up with ourselves.

The Chimp is as much a part of us as our Human brain and if we don't learn to manage the Chimp it may keep getting us into trouble again and again and again. The Chimp (emotional brain) is ancient, strong and fast-moving and as it works five times faster than the Human, it will sometimes beat that part of ourselves to responding. The Chimp is always active when we are unsettled or worried, it tends to think in black and white absolute terms, can be paranoid and often catastrophises things. As it was designed to keep us safe in a very dangerous prehistoric past you can see why it has been designed by natural selection to be like this. However it's fast, strong and often vicious responses don't often resolve many of the complex 21st century problems our lives are now full of. In our adolescent children the Chimp is often pumped up on hormones and also, with teenage self-esteem so brittle, the adolescent Chimp may see potential threats and slights much more readily than our more settled adult Chimps does.

Steven Peters recipe for managing the Chimp runs thus;

1. Recognise you have a Chimp and that it will respond sometimes when you are angry, stressed or perceive any kind of threat (physical or psychological or reputational) and it moves much more quickly than the Human part of your brain and it will likely embarrass you with its responses. It might shout and rage, be rude and angry or violent;

2. Watch for Chimp-like responses, these are easy to spot, they are responses which when you reflect later aren't ones you're proud of. They are likely the ones that if you had your time again you'd do differently, or they are the responses that you might, with the benefit of hindsight, think you need to apologise for;

3. Be aware that everyone has a Chimp and managing it is an everyday challenge, when we're tired or stressed our Chimp becomes more difficult to control and can overwhelm us more easily. Observe other people's responses,you can see Chimp behaviour everywhere;
4. Having become aware of your Chimp you can work on boxing your Chimp, ignoring it's instinctive and rapid reaction and giving yourself some thinking time to work out a better, more Human response;

5. We can use the Computer part of our brain, our automated habits, to put in responses faster than the Chimp can react. This takes time and practice, but if we make a conscious effort to put in a different response to the impulsive Chimp one, we can develop what Peters calls an Autopilot, which is a ---script or response that overrides the unhelpful Chimp response before it can be enacted.

________________________________________________________________________

Example of Computer trumping Chimp

Someone pulls in front of you when you're driving and instead of offering them some creative and energetic hand gestures, flashing your lights and standing on your horn you simply imagine that they are having a very difficult day, have an emergency to get to or simply didn't see you. This is an autopilot you had already programmed in over several days in preparation for the inevitable bad behaviour you sometimes see on the road. This means you do not react, drive more aggressively or head out into road-rage and instead arrive at your own destination calm and untrammeled by the experience that could have potentially de-stabilised your mood. (This kind of automated response will take training and practice developing an autopilot because each time it happens your chimp will react and respond very quickly and it's only the Computer part of your mind that can beat it.)
________________________________________________________________________

6. A Chimp response is a natural, if unhelpful response. As it is a prehistoric and simple creature it responds in simplistic, emotional ways. It's responses are not nuanced and complex enough to cope with anything beyond life or death survival. We can never be rid of it, but we can recognise it and circumvent it.

7. Nurture your autopilot responses to events or circumstances that keep recurring so you can ensure that the Chimp response doesn't define you.

8. Reflect on your responses during the day, identify Chimp-like responses and look at alternative ways of responding. You have to take responsibility for your chimp's responses.

9. Anticipate the Chimp, look ahead each day to see the moments when the Chimp might be more likely to react and respond so you can out think it in advance
10. The Chimp needs to be safe and secure in order to be calm, if you keep getting a Chimp response then it will because you are not feeling safe and secure (psychologically or physically or reputationally) and in order to address this repeated Chimp response you will need to address its anxieties regarding safety and security before it will be calm and you can respond with your Human rather than your Chimp.

Heartily recommended.

***** (A Rare five stars)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 9 Jan. 2012
this book is fantastic... i have been a profesional sportsman for 20n years winning 3 world titles..4 uk champs..4 masters titles plus many more titles... my journey has not always been the the best in terms of how i have felt about it.. many times vowing to retire.. it has been that hard.. in this time i have worked with many people to try and help me through the journey... and in my opionion nothing has come close to how this book explains things.. this book really helps you make the descions for yourself.. it gives you he tools to deal with all things life can throw at you.. it has enabled me to to see the wood through the trees.. it has helped me see that i was not going mad.. i just was not able to understand how my mind the machine works..i now am able to play snooker and not feel that my self worth depends on winning a game of snooker.. which i have done for years.. yes i still want to win.. but i dont need to define my self through having to win every snooker game i play in..i now feel able to play.. and handle the the negative thoughts which used to make me wanna lose and go home..and tell my self i did not want to compete..i had that mind set for years..
the book has also helped me make good choices in making time for the people who really matter in life.. this is called the troop.. and how much better life has got since getting the right people back in my life..tjhis has made i massive difference to my life.. it is ongoing.. and needs you to put the work in.. it wont just happen.. you need to make it happen.. the book really does offer simple but effective ways on how to really improve your life..i have red many self help books.. and worked with many people the field of self help.. and nothing comes close to to this model.. anyone can get something out of reading the book.. its one of those books u just wanna buy for people you know..u just know they will thank you for it.. and say i really got a lot out reading the book...and lets be honest .. what price can u put on being happy?..
Ronnie O'Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite monkeys, 11 Sept. 2012
Honestly, I had to decide between 5 stars and 2.5 for this book.

In the end, I gave it 5 stars, because the basic premise of the book, the idea that we have a 'chimp' who cannot change or be changed, but who we need to manage, has been so liberating to me.

I have a tendency to be anxious and am always very hard on myself. I work in a teaching environment, so I expect that I should be able to learn from past mistakes and shouldn't (for example) get anxious over trivialities. Yet, despite learning CBT techniques, I still find myself getting anxious about whether I have done well enough at work or what other people think of me (although I hide it well and come across as very confident). This has given me even more reason to beat myself up and so the cycle continued.

Now when I get anxious, I simply see it as my chimp playing up. It is something I cannot stop, but I can try and foresee and manage. My life hasn't turned around, but it has radically improved just by this one type of mental imagery.

I also appreciated the emphasis on values and how these define us as humans, which allowed me to get perspective on some issues.

This book should not be read as a psychology text book or as a guide to the workings of the brain. It is a suggested mindset to help deal with life, for those who find they struggle (and that's most of us sometimes). As I see it, the chimp represents evolutionary drives, the 'human' is the essences of me/you or conscious selves.

OK - now for the bad bit. The structure of the book does not make sense. There is a computer and an autopilot, there are goblins and gremlins, there are various planets and moons and in amongst them all friends, success, stress and communication. It's all just too confusing and muddled. Maybe it will make more sense on second reading, or perhaps these are areas to be dipped into when needed. But ideally, I think the author should re-think/re-write the structure.

I would still recommend this book without hesitation though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mind management book, 10 Oct. 2012
As author of Personal Best - How Ordinary People Achieve Extraordinary Success and How You Can Too I am always interested in understanding the best thinking of others. As a cycling fan I was also drawn to the book when I heard about the author's work with Team Sky.

The model that Steve Peters uses is that each of us use three brains: an intelligent, thinking brain, a logical brain and a survival mode chimp brain. Using this as a basic premise the book takes you through the rollercoaster of how your mind works and the different roles played when we function using each one of our 'brains'.

The net result is that we develop an understanding of our drivers and some of the reasons why we do what we do. Good read. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THe Chimp Paradox, 30 Oct. 2013
I found this a great book that i couldn't put down. It does help to re programme your mind and be more positive about everything!
I am trying to get my daughter to read as shes at College and feel she could benefit from it also.
Its very complicated to explain just buy and read it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Me at last!, 23 May 2012
Steve Peters is a genius. When you have spent years being told you are too direct, too difficult to deal with, you have an attitude problem, and always wear your heart on your sleeve, it hurts, but it makes you fight the world more and you end up hurting yourself in the end. Reading this book was so enlightening, I laughed and I cried, Steve has a way of making you see yourself through other peoples eyes but not in a bad way. I became embarrassed at the thought of what I had become and WANTED to put it right without feeling I had to change because I was being told to. I can honestly say when I read the section on "what a chimp wants" I was horrified at how accurate this was to my own personality, despite initially laughing at it, it gave me food for thought and how much I wanted to be different. Knowing I'm not a bad person but appearing that way was awful. Now I feel stronger, more confident despite endless traumas in my life, I'm not fighting the world now I'm trying hard to be a better person and the rewards are amazing. You do have to take a step back and a long look at yourself, but the realisation of how much can change if you make the effort is worth the hard work. Thank you Steve, you are my hero. x

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, 4 Jan. 2012
I wouldn't normally write a review for anyhting i've bought, no matter how good or bad, however i feel compelled to do so.

I will keep this very simple; HAD I NOT READ THE CHIMP PARADOX, MY WORLD WOULD BE A VERY DIFFERENT, DARKER PLACE TO LIVE IN.
After years of suffering from severe depression and cripling self doubt, both professionally and personally, this book has managed to do in one week what years of professional help could not even get close to.

I am not going to sit here and write a review just to make me sound smarter, or wiser, than the author, I am not an expert in psychology. I am merely a Lehman who had the blues - bad!

Thanks to the book, and Dr.Peters, I have very few (if any) worries and am living life to the full.

This is no bull, it's honestly what has happened. I'm sure that other reviewers are more academically qualified to critique than I, but the bottom line is, the book has done for me exactly what it says on the tin - I am happier and more confident than ever. I feel at ease and in control of my own mind.

This review isn't necessarily to promote the book, however, I would hate to think that someone out there is searching for inner peace and answers and didn't at least give this book a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 29 Mar. 2015
I bought the ebook and audio book and have listened to the audio book once. It is around 9 hours of listening which I listened to in increments. The author/orator speaks clearly and the narrative is straight forward, easy to comprehend and absorb.
I have been facing some particularly difficult areas in my life recently, life changing decisions to be made. Within the first hour and a half of listening to "The Chimp Paradox", I was beginning to make clear minded important decisions and then finding the correct way to deal with them. These are decisions that I have been putting off for many many years and as I stated life changing. I am so glad I bought this book! It is early days yet but I feel very confident that by working with the The Chimp Paradox, I am finally steering my ship in the direction I wish to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking Control, 12 Nov. 2012
jules (bristol england) - See all my reviews
My doctor recommended this book to me as I struggled to cope following the death of my husband. It is written in plain English and easy to follow, with an amount of humour and has helped me to begin to understand myself. I have passed it to a friend and he too is benefitting from reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chimp v Human, 21 April 2012
J. R. Fowler (Greater London) - See all my reviews
This book is written in a plain, accessible style. It tells us that our brain can conveniently be divided into three parts HUMAN, CHIMP, COMPUTER. The chimp is first to react - for instance crossing the road without looking properly - and may give a warning which saves your life. However, the chimp can also make a mountain out of a molehill, sowing seeds for future problems. Someone takes your parking space,for example. Instead of shrugging and maybe moaning to friends, you seek out the parking villain and confront him. Result: nobody wins and nothing is gained, just trouble. The human in the parking scenario would just shrug, the chimp wants to confront someone about it. The computer meanwhile takes in chimp and human reactions and melds them together, to make the personality you become.
This books tells us how to contain(not remove) our chimp, making life easier, better and less confrontational. It teaches us to accept situations which cannot be changed - because they've happened - to move on and plan the future.
I found the various sections helpful, and soon became aware when my chimp was pushing himself to the front of my thinking.

The author helped Chris Hoy to power his way to a cycling gold medal, by helping him contain the chimp and plan various goals to reach on the way to his dream of a gold medal. I just want to get through a day without unnecessary anxiety, and with purpose. If you share those simple aims then this book will help you order your life and bring order to ambition. The added bonus is that the book is an easy read.