5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book
Published on 9 Jan 2012 by Ronnie O'Sullivan

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Published 1 month ago by Che 13

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Chimp Paradox: The Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness (Paperback)
this book is fantastic... i have been a profesional sportsman for 20n years winning 3 world titles..4 uk champs..4 masters titles plus many more titles... my journey has not always been the the best in terms of how i have felt about it.. many times vowing to retire.. it has been that hard.. in this time i have worked with many people to try and help me through the journey... and in my opionion nothing has come close to how this book explains things.. this book really helps you make the descions for yourself.. it gives you he tools to deal with all things life can throw at you.. it has enabled me to to see the wood through the trees.. it has helped me see that i was not going mad.. i just was not able to understand how my mind the machine works..i now am able to play snooker and not feel that my self worth depends on winning a game of snooker.. which i have done for years.. yes i still want to win.. but i dont need to define my self through having to win every snooker game i play in..i now feel able to play.. and handle the the negative thoughts which used to make me wanna lose and go home..and tell my self i did not want to compete..i had that mind set for years..
the book has also helped me make good choices in making time for the people who really matter in life.. this is called the troop.. and how much better life has got since getting the right people back in my life..tjhis has made i massive difference to my life.. it is ongoing.. and needs you to put the work in.. it wont just happen.. you need to make it happen.. the book really does offer simple but effective ways on how to really improve your life..i have red many self help books.. and worked with many people the field of self help.. and nothing comes close to to this model.. anyone can get something out of reading the book.. its one of those books u just wanna buy for people you know..u just know they will thank you for it.. and say i really got a lot out reading the book...and lets be honest .. what price can u put on being happy?..
Ronnie O'Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life if you let it, 14 Dec 2013
Life-changing is over used hyperbole in the self-help 'new you' book market but that's exactly what this book is. Written in a very simple style it walks us through an intuitive model of how our minds work that's linked to what we know about the physical structure of the brain. If you read it carefully and do the exercises at the back of each chapter it will absolutely change your life.

The genius of the book is that Peters takes complex information about the physical structure of our brain and builds a complementary psychological model that explains how each part contributes to our 'in-mind' experience each and everyday.

The model is made of the following components;

There's our inner Chimp, the emotional part of our brain, designed by evolution to support our survival, it's thinking is characterised by feelings and paranoia, it works on impressions and interpretations, not facts and responds up to fives times faster than our rational brain.

There's our Human mind, which is rational, weighs up evidence and reaches careful and deliberate conclusions using cognition. It is where our highest values of humanity reside, it is where we can strategically plan our actions and think through the consequences of events and arrive at balanced and considered conclusions. It works five times slower than the Chimp.

And then there's the Computer, a bank of a remembered experiences full of automatic habits and responses, some good, some bad, the place where both our Human and our Chimp look for association and similar experiences when processing what's happening to us. The Computer works twenty times faster than our Human and fifteen times faster than the Chimp.

Peters says that the first thing we need to do inside our heads is recognise these three powerful structures in our mind, if we do not we will always be running to catch up with ourselves.

The Chimp is as much a part of us as our Human brain and if we don't learn to manage the Chimp it may keep getting us into trouble again and again and again. The Chimp (emotional brain) is ancient, strong and fast-moving and as it works five times faster than the Human, it will sometimes beat that part of ourselves to responding. The Chimp is always active when we are unsettled or worried, it tends to think in black and white absolute terms, can be paranoid and often catastrophises things. As it was designed to keep us safe in a very dangerous prehistoric past you can see why it has been designed by natural selection to be like this. However it's fast, strong and often vicious responses don't often resolve many of the complex 21st century problems our lives are now full of. In our adolescent children the Chimp is often pumped up on hormones and also, with teenage self-esteem so brittle, the adolescent Chimp may see potential threats and slights much more readily than our more settled adult Chimps does.

Steven Peters recipe for managing the Chimp runs thus;

1. Recognise you have a Chimp and that it will respond sometimes when you are angry, stressed or perceive any kind of threat (physical or psychological or reputational) and it moves much more quickly than the Human part of your brain and it will likely embarrass you with its responses. It might shout and rage, be rude and angry or violent;

2. Watch for Chimp-like responses, these are easy to spot, they are responses which when you reflect later aren't ones you're proud of. They are likely the ones that if you had your time again you'd do differently, or they are the responses that you might, with the benefit of hindsight, think you need to apologise for;

3. Be aware that everyone has a Chimp and managing it is an everyday challenge, when we're tired or stressed our Chimp becomes more difficult to control and can overwhelm us more easily. Observe other people's responses,you can see Chimp behaviour everywhere;
4. Having become aware of your Chimp you can work on boxing your Chimp, ignoring it's instinctive and rapid reaction and giving yourself some thinking time to work out a better, more Human response;

5. We can use the Computer part of our brain, our automated habits, to put in responses faster than the Chimp can react. This takes time and practice, but if we make a conscious effort to put in a different response to the impulsive Chimp one, we can develop what Peters calls an Autopilot, which is a ---script or response that overrides the unhelpful Chimp response before it can be enacted.

________________________________________________________________________

Example of Computer trumping Chimp

Someone pulls in front of you when you're driving and instead of offering them some creative and energetic hand gestures, flashing your lights and standing on your horn you simply imagine that they are having a very difficult day, have an emergency to get to or simply didn't see you. This is an autopilot you had already programmed in over several days in preparation for the inevitable bad behaviour you sometimes see on the road. This means you do not react, drive more aggressively or head out into road-rage and instead arrive at your own destination calm and untrammeled by the experience that could have potentially de-stabilised your mood. (This kind of automated response will take training and practice developing an autopilot because each time it happens your chimp will react and respond very quickly and it's only the Computer part of your mind that can beat it.)
________________________________________________________________________

6. A Chimp response is a natural, if unhelpful response. As it is a prehistoric and simple creature it responds in simplistic, emotional ways. It's responses are not nuanced and complex enough to cope with anything beyond life or death survival. We can never be rid of it, but we can recognise it and circumvent it.

7. Nurture your autopilot responses to events or circumstances that keep recurring so you can ensure that the Chimp response doesn't define you.

8. Reflect on your responses during the day, identify Chimp-like responses and look at alternative ways of responding. You have to take responsibility for your chimp's responses.

9. Anticipate the Chimp, look ahead each day to see the moments when the Chimp might be more likely to react and respond so you can out think it in advance
10. The Chimp needs to be safe and secure in order to be calm, if you keep getting a Chimp response then it will because you are not feeling safe and secure (psychologically or physically or reputationally) and in order to address this repeated Chimp response you will need to address its anxieties regarding safety and security before it will be calm and you can respond with your Human rather than your Chimp.

Heartily recommended.

***** (A Rare five stars)

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 19 May 2014
Andy "Andy" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I have lived with social anxiety for over 20 years. Anyone who has it will know it is a debilitating condition that causes a great deal of emotional distress. After reading this book I realised that I had never before quite recognised the emotional high jacking that was going on within me that this book explains. After years of trying to find solutions in self help books I had become down and disillusioned. I should say though I don't feel cured and I still have moments when I struggle, but I feel I have had more progress since reading this book in 2 months than I have had in many years. It is a great relief to feel like ive not been going mad all these years. I am now starting to understand myself and am not worrying that im defective in some way. I have had false dawns before so am hesitant to go to far, but this could well be the book I have been searching for. There may be many other people out there in a similar situation to me, I hope they read it to.

5.0 out of 5 stars STOP READING THE REVIEWS & START READING THE BOOK!!!, 21 Jan 2012
What an amazing book! Steve Peters uses his years of experience as a teacher and mentor to put accross the science of the workings of the mind in a way that is simple, enjoyable and enlightening to read. To get the most of this book please! please! please! keep a notebook with you while reading it and do the exercises. There is so much to learn from this book that I'm sure reading it at different stages and times of your life will reveal different truths and offer continual guidance, it's a real life changer. Take action, buy the book, it's a must read. To quote Tim Robbins (Andy Dufresne) in the classic film the Shawshank Redemption "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying" :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all stressheads, 30 Jun 2014
Apparently we are all schizophrenic's with the mind of a rational human being and an emotional chimpanzee. Dr Peters offers sound advice on keeping the chimp in check and takes us on a journey of self discovery that helps with confidence, organisation and dealing with stress.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 9 Jun 2014
The book essentially is based on the idea of controlling your emotions (i.e. your chimp) and emphasize your rationality (I.e. your human) - this is hardly an enlightening idea, though it is articulated in a basic and simple manner that some may find useful. I believe the idea itself - as presented by the author - underestimates the importance and usefulness of the irrational and emotional chimp in our lives as the driver of many of our human achievements and happiness. Like many others I bought the book after reading and hearing about it in the British media and how it has helped top British athletes enhance their performance. After reading it, I could not see anything groundbreaking (or 'genius') about this book that has not been presented and articulated in a much more profound, complete and intelligent way by scholars of Buddhism (see for e.g. Buddhism Plain and Simple by Hagen) and Mindfullness. Having said that, there is something to take from this book, but I am not sure it deserves all the publicity and credit as presented in the media.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 2 May 2014
Only half way through the book but its brilliant, really makes you think about who you are and why you do what you do. Will finish reading it then re-read it again so I can fully digest all the content, its a book you dont want to put down

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan - and so is my chimp, 22 Aug 2012
Dr. George L. Sik (Epsom, Surrey) - See all my reviews
I'd like to add my support to the army of fans (or perhaps troop, in the language of the programme) who have warmly welcomed this book. I am myself a psychologist who has worked with sportspeople and I have to confess to being a sceptic when it comes to self-help books. Too many promise the impossible, are based on wacky premises or simply state the obvious. This book falls into none of these categories. Although it's always a fine line and no programme will work for everyone, I am deeply impressed by Dr Peters's approach: the chimp is really a metaphor - one of many in the book - but it is such an engaging one that it proves irresistable (the deliberately simple illustrations help too - there's something about the chimp surrounded by exclamation marks that completely drew me in!) - and the underlying science of it is very sound.

To communicate science well is a gift - to be able to turn it into something from which all can benefit (and despite the publicity Dr Peters has received through his work with Team GB, especially in cycling, this is a book for everyone - not just those involved in sport) is very rare indeed, and I think this book pulls it off splendidly. Some may say that it feels simplistic to them, but that is the beauty of it: to take what we know about the workings of the brain and about human behaviour and turn it into an easy-to-understand programme from which anyone can draw benefit. Easy to understand, yes, but the book makes it clear that it requires work and practice - it's not a magic wand.

I am certain that may people will be helped by reading this book and following its recommendations, in particular as a way of reducing personal stress, managing relationships and increasing happiness...things many would say you can't put a price on. It has helped some very prominent Olympians and I believe it can help anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change the way you live your life, 3 Feb 2012
A brilliant, brilliant, brilliant book. I am a GP and former medical student who was taught by Dr Steve Peters. This book has helped me in my own personal life and I have started to use the techniques to help my patients. The changes this model can make to the outlook and mental health problems of my patients has been amazing. With regards to myself this is helping me achieve my goals in my amateur sports and in dealing with the huge pressure that comes from practising medicine. By adopting the chimp model I can operate in a calm manner that allows my 'computer' to work freely and me to be the best GP I can to my patients, optimise my life with my very busy surgeon husband and enjoy my free time effectively. I have used it in my amateur sports of tennis, swimming and running and the effect is so powerful. I have gone from being able to practice at tennis with any of the good players at my club yet falling apart in matches to now enjoying playing matches and playing well in them!!

A huge burden of the work of a GP is mental health problems and this is a fantastic book for people to help heal themselves. However, this is not just a book for those with anxiety or depression or another mental health problem, it is a book for anyone and I believe everyone would benefit from reading it. Everyone has a 'chimp', so everyone can get a lot out of this book and therefore more out of life. I have already recommended it to my friends, medical and non medical, as I rate it so highly. 11.99, (the price of a take away pizza) for a better life?! No contest in my opinion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking Control, 12 Nov 2012
jules (bristol england) - See all my reviews
My doctor recommended this book to me as I struggled to cope following the death of my husband. It is written in plain English and easy to follow, with an amount of humour and has helped me to begin to understand myself. I have passed it to a friend and he too is benefitting from reading it.