on 31 March 2010
Having tried a few diets before - and been put off by the Atkins in the past (due to stories about smelly side effects) - i wasn't sure about trying this at first.
But its much more flexible than i thought and there's more variety than i thought i'd be allowed. Plus as someone who doesnt want to just eat slabs of meat all day every day this book gives much more scope for alternatives and veggie options so its much more useful for an ongoing, everyday diet than the standard Atkins stuff.
I've definitely seen the results - and would recommend to anyone who's considered Atkins in the past but been put off by the limitation and meat-focus of it.
33 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2010
After trying original book many years ago, very interested in the new approach. For someone starting for the first time the first chapters look at the medical aspects etc, which I found very heavy.

Then you get onto the actual method of eating (diet) which is very similar but now a wider range of vegetables etc are allowed which make the whole concept more enjoyable.

After three weeks lost 16 lbs so very impressive.

Comments: The Diet chapters could be simplified with easier , visual aspects, I ended up typing out relevant info.

The carb element of vegetables does really surprise you, once in the swing it is very simple, you don't get hunger pangs, and start enjoying this new way of eating.

You need to be a person who likes protein though. Overall really pleased with diet and I am sure this will change my way of eating for the future. Good Luck, and your in for some surprises on your weight loss ( do use the scales to weigh rather than guess)
11 comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2010
If you are looking to lose weight, this plan works.......unfortunately if you are like me then the reason for wanting to lose weight is simply a question of discipline.....and I hate discipline. However, for me this book is an eye opener to just how much starchy carb loaded food (which I love!!) affects my weight. This book will show you how to reduce carbs, and on the induction phase pretty much eliminate them, this in turn will lead to fairly rapid weight loss....but by far the most agreeable fact for me is that after 6-7 days a higher protein diet eliminates my appetite so I'm not left feeling like I want to eat my right arm to get through the day. But as with all diets I am forced to consider that it is not rocket science.....for me fewer carb rich foods..more excercise and I will inevitably head toward a more desirable weight........Am I happy about that?? Not at all. If you have not tried this method, I would recommend the book, but read the theory behind it!!! The onlypeople who "knock" atkins.......usually have never tried it...so far I have lost 32lbs and importantly am not at all hungry....I have yet to stump up the courage to start regular excercise....give it a go, stick with what it says for 30 days, and then you can decide! Good luck!
on 2 April 2010
A well written book explaining the science and practice of low carbohydrate dieting. It has been anglicised to some extent (weights in stones, for example) but there is a heavy USA bias in the nutritional data of retail food products and in the use of weird american units like cups.

The biggest issue for UK/EU readers is that there is a lot of stuff about net carbs, ie carbohydrate minus fibre, but the nutritional labelling in the USA is different to that over here - they include dietary fibre in the carbohydrate figure and hence subtracting fibre for net carbs makes sense. Here we put dietary fibre under a separate heading on our labels and don't count fibre in with carbohydrates so it would be easy to consume too many carbs by subtracting fibre when this has already been done.

Apart from the above rather epic fail the method is robust and works if followed. Lost 6lbs in a week according to my Wii starting with a BMI of 31.
33 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2010
After years of hearing about Dr Atkins all singing, all dancing diet, and with only 4 weeks to go to my holidays, I thought I'd give it a whirl. The diet was pretty straight forward and basic with no set meals to follow. I can honestly say that I have found it quite easy to follow, though at times I have been a little bit bored. I followed the 2 week initial plan and found it relatively easy, as diets go at least. I was a little bit confused about the net carbs it mentions in the book but it does explain it in detail. Altogether I have lost about 22 lb in 4 weeks but must admit have cheated once or twice! I have quite a lot to lose but I didn't feel really hungry like on previous diets I have been on and didn't suffer from bad breath as I had heard from other people who have tried it. The book goes into detail about the science behind the diet which is quite interesting. I love salads but also like the coleslaw and mayonnaise to go with it, this diet lets you have both so it seems to suit me. Give it a try and be surprised because, believe me, I have tried every diet in the book! The added bonus is that the book was a brilliant price on Amazon.
on 15 June 2010
The diet works. I've been on it for 10 weeks and have lost 24lb. The book itself is a typical diet book with too much filler in (verbal carbohydrate?) but quite readable. The only thing to watch for if you buy it is that the book is written for the US market, and their food labelling is different; US carb figures include fibre. The book therefore tells you to deduct fibre from carbs to get 'net carbs'. If you're in Europe you mustn't do this because the labelling is different, and this could dramatically reduce your weight loss.
The Atkins website has a useful forum which is also a source of support and information.
on 5 May 2010
I brought this book and started to follow the meal plans for the Induction, BE WARNED in the UK edition they messed up the conversion from US Cups into grams (cups measure mass so 2 cups for salad does not equate to 200gm of salad)- this version has you eating 200gms for salad - that is a Whole Large Cos Lettuce - or 2.5 bags of Mixed Leaves. I went on one of the Atkins forums and they put me straight. But i would recommend getting the US version and it took me some time to work out correctly what amounts i should be eating (trust me 310gm of salad in a day is way too much even for greedy me!)US Cups are readily avialble over here now, so no problems.

I would have sent this book back had i not got it all Oily making my greek dressing! It has also made me question some of the other weight conversions, my US copy should arrive soon - it'll be interesting to see how far out some of the other things are.

But a rough guide to the salad issue:
100gm = 1.49 net carbs (cos lettuce)
100gm = 1.19 net carbs (mixed leaves)

In the book they are asking you to eat 200gm and have calculated it as 1.5 net carbs - so if you follow this you will be over your carb intake...
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2011
I can't speak to the effectiveness of this diet, but I would discourage buying this Kindle edition because it is poorly formatted and cuts off essential content, such as the net carb values for foods. I would very much like my money back!
on 7 September 2010
I found this book totally comprehensive and more importantly effective!!!
i am not into diets or fads and the Science/background at the beginning explains how this diet works and believe me it has worked!
Totall impressed excellent value!!
on 24 June 2010
Good book, well written to be easily understood. So far so good with the diet and it is a life changer.